Mileage allotment of 1042 per month...What is a Month?

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
So the formula is how many months since September, but does anybody know if that's the 1st, the 15th, or the last of the month?

If we were all the trade are cars in on November 1st, would that be 14 months....or 13 months with Nov 16th being the 14th month?

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I fear I may have suffered one of those near-strokes in the past few minutes, because I can't understand (or in the case of the second, even parse) your questions.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
So the formula is how many months since September, but does anybody know if that's the 1st, the 15th, or the last of the month?

If we were all the trade are cars in on November 1st, would that be 14 months....or 13 months with Nov 16th being the 13th month?
I've wondered the same thing and haven't seen anything defined on it.

To clarify, da jokker is asking at what date do we start counting the months as far as the mileage allotment is concerned.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I have not seen anything defining this either. But what you are really asking is if the mileage allowance is calculated on a daily basis (and therefore be "prorated" based on the day you turned it in). I don't think they are doing this. If they were, then you wouldn't see the mileage adjustment figures being calculated in 5000 mi "blocks". I think that for what ever day you turn it in, you get credit for the month that day falls under. So it doesn't matter if you turn it in Nov 1 or Nov 30 in your example. You get the 1042 mileage credit for the month of November.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Sorry my bad that last 13 was supposed to say 14. But you are correct in what I was asking for.

my commute happens to be 1040 miles per month. So if the "free" miles are given to us at the first of the month or the last of the month it makes a difference in my case.

As it stands I'm literally at the $0 mileage deduction. So if I go a little bit over it cost me $200 but if I go a little bit under I make $300... so I'm just doing some calculations and was looking for the actual cut off.

If my calculations are correct, parking the car for 2 months will gain me the $300...I know it's not allot, but it would pay for some upgrades on my replacement car when the time comes.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
Sorry my bad that last 13 was supposed to say 14. But you are correct in what I was asking for.

my commute happens to be 1040 miles per month. So if the "free" miles are given to us at the first of the month or the last of the month it makes a difference in my case.

As it stands I'm literally at the $0 mileage deduction. So if I go a little bit over it cost me $200 but if I go a little bit under I make $300... so I'm just doing some calculations and was looking for the actual cut off.

If my calculations are correct, parking the car for 2 months will gain me the $300...I know it's not allot, but it would pay for some upgrades on my replacement car when the time comes.
I'm still hoping for a turn-in date around 11/1, but I'll certainly be running the numbers quickly if I'm given optional turn-in dates of 10/28, 10/31 and 11/1 to see if turning a car in on 11/1 could give me a few hundred extra $$.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
November - October = 1 month
I hope it's that simple. If that is true then people may want to avoid buy back appointments near the end of the month ( depending on your mileage of course).

IMO VW will try to shaft you one last time if they can... Sorry, you turned in your car on October 31st instead of November 1st, no extra 1042 miles for you :eek:

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
I spent an hour on the VW call line asking the same question. "On what day of the month does the next 1042 miles get credited?" They could not give me a straight answer. They "think" it is the first of the month.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
IMO VW will try to shaft you one last time if they can... Sorry, you turned in your car on October 31st instead of November 1st, no extra 1042 miles for you :eek:
What better for Halloween than a TRICK of treat like that?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
November - October = 1 month
While that's correct, which day of the week did they start the clock? From when I read the court documents a few months ago...it was implied that the mileage clock started the day that the scandal broke. So not the first of September, but the 18th.

Along that line of reasoning (if it were correct)...someone would need to hang on till 11/18 in order to get that extra 1,042 miles allowance. Just my $.02...

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
I spent an hour on the VW call line asking the same question. "On what day of the month does the next 1042 miles get credited?" They could not give me a straight answer. They "think" it is the first of the month.
I did the same about 6 weeks ago, and got the same answer. Unfortunately, the people answering the phones don't seem to know much.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
I'm still hoping for a turn-in date around 11/1, but I'll certainly be running the numbers quickly if I'm given optional turn-in dates of 10/28, 10/31 and 11/1 to see if turning a car in on 11/1 could give me a few hundred extra $$.
I suspect a lot of us will be doing the same. I ran all my flip cars up to @ 50 miles below the November mileage limit in case they treat October 31st the same as November 1st.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
We have a lot more time to think up off the wall questions than the VW staff has time to think up answers.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
This is from Attachment 2A/2B/2C:

Based on the current month, multiply the number of months since September 2015 by 1,042. (EX: If the current month is October 2016, multiply 13 months by 1,042 = 13,546).
It seems clear from this document the mileage allotment is intended to begin on the 1st of each month.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
This is from Attachment 2A/2B/2C:
It seems clear from this document the mileage allotment is intended to begin on the 1st of each month.
That would seem to suggest they are not being particular. I'm not willing to hold my car for 5 months to get an extra $300 ( would actually probably go in the negative with car insurance), but if a few weeks would get me $300... I might.

Well know more tomorrow!