MIL ON P2100 P2100 P2463 Throttle Actuator Control Circuit & System, DPF Soot Accumulation CAN'T REGEN

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I now have 4 YELLOW LIGHTS, Glow Plug, DPF, Engine, TPMS.

I get the flashing glow plug light for the P2100 error from time to time for years, always P2101 throttle actuator. I replaced the valve long ago, and it fixed it but comes back on occasion. I would clear it or it would clear it self and be OK, for a time, a short or long time but would go away. Then is came back. (I have a VAGCOM cable almost as I had car since 2011).

Of late it has been on and can't stay cleared. I did not worry about it but my DPF Light came on with SOOT Accumulation while on a short 400 mile round trip yesterday. One the way home, I got the DPF. Later the cruise control KICKED OFF and and could not be re-engaged. Weird. Performance was reduced but could hold 60-65 as planned. It was running but could tell it was down on power.

This morning I look at the codes. I tried to learn how to do the MANUAL REGEN.. videos, blogs, etc..... It will not let me do it. I get error. I go went to:

• Control Module
  • 01 Engine Basic Settings
  • Diesel Particulate Filter (I get error).

NOTE: I recall I have not seen a REGEN FOR AWHILE so this is likely why I am getting DPF light.... The car is indicating running cool 172F with my "Scangauge" on column (OBD2 reader). The water temp is at 12 O'clock. However it should run a little warmer than that on 80F day.

HELP...... Where to start. WHAT TO CHECK? Right now I am thinking to replace the Throttle Actuator or at least take it off and have a LOOK.

I WOULD like to DELETE the EGR and DPF..... but rather leave it stock and get it working properly, however all advice gratefully accepted.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
I was able to get to set up for REGEN standing but it would abort and RPM never came up.

Then I found a Video that there is a trick when emergency REGEN does not work. Go to adaptation and select DPF Replacement, enter 1 in NEW VALUE, test and save, then go drive. I HAVE NOT TRIED IT, but about in an hour, I'll report back. Fingers crossed.

Chef-CJ

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Maybe your thermostat? I know from personal experience that you can't do a Regen if the engine doesn't get hot enough.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks on the thermostat tip..... UPDATE

I tried the REPLACE DPF trick and went for ride. NO JOY, down on power, no cruise control (weird I know but cruise control is not engaging)
Finished my 15 mile out and back loop on freeway and topped off with fuel. Reset the DPF again and went for a ride.
Now I had power and the CRUISE control worked? Got home.
Tried to reset the Lights. The P2100 is still showing. The DPF is gone but the light is still showing.
I can not force a REGEN standing still method, still.

FUEL. I started a 440 mile round trip on 3/4 tank. I could barely do that on remaining fuel. So I put in 3 gal before going to a show that let out late. I had a 3 hr drive back. My range showing was equal to distance to drive home. I did not want to get diesel fuel at night on my way home so I added 3 gal. added to say 5 gal I had. I just added 11.6 gal. Since my max empty to full tank fill up is about 14.5 gal I needed some fuel.

DID I GET BAD DIESEL or put GAS IN? I checked receipt (which I always save) it says diesel, the handle was green and button said diesel. With 3 gal into existing 5 gal who knows. The fact is I have and have had a THROTTLE ACTUATOR issue (P2100/2101} for a long time. Also thermostat tends to stick closed not wide open. Still at freeway speeds and warm day it should be hot enough to do a Regen?

There is a problem, and the Throttle Actuator is suspect and should be fixed. Does any one know any adaptation test to do?

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
SUCCESS I THINK.... I started to take the Throttle Actuator off and look look.... the connector was OFF!!!! Ha ha. How that happened don't know. Should I have checked it? Yes. How did this happen. I must have taken it off. I did an oil change and in the past I took connectors off and cleaned contactors. I may have not pushed it all the way on? Don't know. But it's on and working....

So the DPF light is still on but there are no faults in scan. No Glow Plug flashing light. No engine light. I suspect the car is learning the DPF since I told it I replaced it. However all the power is back.... and no faults in a scan.... Lesson learned.... Check the wiring.

I did pull out my old one... It is really clean. I was going to throw that in. I saw videos that showed the Throttle Actuator (Anti Shutter Valve) caked up with carbon muck..... Mine was clean.....

I may have to disconnect the battery and reconnect possibly to clear DPF light?

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
NOTE: I recall I have not seen a REGEN FOR AWHILE so this is likely why I am getting DPF light.... The car is indicating running cool 172F with my "Scangauge" on column (OBD2 reader). The water temp is at 12 O'clock. However it should run a little warmer than that on 80F day.
i don't know it this is the exclusive cause of your no regen situation, but your thermostat is almost certainly failed. i have read here that the gauge will read straight up @ approx. 170F.

mine was failed for a while--no CEL--and i would see similar temps and the gauge would swing quite a bit in response to driving conditions. my car would still regen with the blown thermostat, but i live where it never really gets cold and even surface streets move along pretty quickly. it would run ROUGH sometimes when it would regen and you could always feel it when driving. very lurchy, not smooth through the pedal.

all of my car's weird running issues seem to have been cured by replacing the thermostat. unfortunately, i can't say that yours will be as well, but you need to have it fixed.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
i don't know it this is the exclusive cause of your no regen situation, but your thermostat is almost certainly failed. i have read here that the gauge will read straight up @ approx. 170F. [SNIP]
Thanks I will look at it. Got to 180F driving fast for hours, but normal in past 192F. Stop n go traffic got to 188F. It's too cool vs past history. I use SCAN Guage. I did just change oil. Lower friction less heat?

GOOD NEWS!!! Just went on 300 mile drive, drove the snot out of it (70-75 mph). 1.5 hours into 4 hr drive DPF light went out. I noticed EGR spike at 1250F possibly a regen. It could of not regen? Don't hive vagcom cable/laptop with me. Drive home tonight, another 4 hours. I WILL look at Thermostat. Cheers.

No lights us goid.