Midwest Light Creations- HID Headlights and Retrofit Kits (Headlights by Jeff)

ironmonkey

TDI
01 golf tdi 5spd
The free led marker bulbs is that something we have to request when we buy the headlights or are they automatically included with mk4 golf headlights? Also what other bulb is needed when you order the headlights

TDI
I will just include them by default. The lights need H1 for high beam, 1156 for turn signal, h3 for fogs.

Note to everyone: I'll be on vacation from Saturday through Wednesday. I may be slow to respond to messages. Until I return. If something is an emergency I will of course reply right away, but otherwise I'll be enjoying the sunny beaches of California!

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I apologize if this has been asked and answered, but what projectors are used for the Golf IV retrofit?

I know that TSX and Lexus projectors are popular for retrofits...

TDI
Sorry for the delayed response. Been out on vacation last week and trying to catch up on orders in the days since. The projectors on the Golf are Mini Matchbox 1.8". The other projectors you referenced are somewhat popular for retrofits in general. The thing about them is that they are very large and require much more time to install because the reflector assembly has to be cut, aimed, set with epoxy, the rear of the light has to be heavily modified, etc. It is the kind of process that demands a lot of patience and is rather time consuming. Labor costs therefore would be through the roof, and a lot of places will quote $1000+ for that kind of retrofit. The performance of them is going to be better, but the bang for your buck ratio is not really there given the greatly increased costs.

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Thanks for that response! I ended up ordering a set from you over the weekend even before getting your answer and I can wait for them to arrive!

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
What all is required to have the fog lights operate properly on the Golf IV lights? Anything other than the euroswitch?

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Fog light switch, harness, and H3 bulbs.
Thanks! I'll need the switch and harness. Currently have my fogs wired to my low beams in my Depot assemblies but I don't want them ALWAYS on with my HID lows. It'd be interesting to put matching HIDs in the fogs and the lows with these lights...the projectors seem the same size...that'd be a lot of light.

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Got my headlights today! They're installed and functional, although I still need to aim them.

Aimed! (some photos are actually pre-aimed)

They could stand to be rotated a bit but overall I'm ECSTATIC with the pattern and output and the VALUE! The output of the high beam with the separate high bulbs plus the HID's opened up is absolutely absurd; more light than I've ever seen come out of a car with just regular headlights. Also, the "high" pattern of the projector is awesome because it still has a cutoff, it's just a very high cutoff, nice that it still directs the light somewhat though. These are 4300k bulbs btw.

BUY THESE NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Going to have to get these for winter.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
freakwithracket, I have a Golf with a Jetta front-end and OEM Jetta headlights w/fogs. I was just made aware of the difference in wiring between the two, in that in Jettas the low beam shuts off when the high beam comes on (because they share the same bulb). In Golfs, low beam stays on with the high. I have not done anything to rewire my car, and it seems that it works fine, although I think my high beams are super bright as a result of the current wiring (and might be burning pretty hot, though I don't use them often).

What would happen with my current Golf wiring on your HID Jetta bulbs? I would love to buy these one day, but now I'm a little concerned what damage might happen if I plugged them in. See my car here, and Tongsli's comments: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=443057

TDI
Nothing would happen. With your Golf/Jetta front end, the issue arises in that with the stock headlights, the Golf wiring would cause both filaments to turn on at the same time and get very hot.

With my Jetta headlights, I use a special device that powers the HID under low beam setting, and under high beam it powers HID+Cutoff shield solenoid. With my Golf lights, I don't use that device, and the low beam + powers the HID and the high beam + powers the solenoid. If you ordered a set for your car, I would just wire them up like I do the Golf lights and there would not be any issue whatsoever.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Nothing would happen. With your Golf/Jetta front end, the issue arises in that with the stock headlights, the Golf wiring would cause both filaments to turn on at the same time and get very hot.
With my Jetta headlights, I use a special device that powers the HID under low beam setting, and under high beam it powers HID+Cutoff shield solenoid. With my Golf lights, I don't use that device, and the low beam + powers the HID and the high beam + powers the solenoid. If you ordered a set for your car, I would just wire them up like I do the Golf lights and there would not be any issue whatsoever.
Awesome. Thanks, Jeff. I've actually been running the stock headlights this way since 2012 with Philips x-treme bulbs and haven't had any issues, but I don't have opportunities to use the high beams for extended periods of time. I have noticed that my high beams are super bright though.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
One more question, how come the glass lens comes standard on Golf lights, but is an additional $70 for Jetta lights? Makes for a very big price difference between the two.

ottoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon ALH
Do you have pictures of the Jetta MKIV 4.0 headlights with angel eyes turned on? I cannot find one on your website.

GOTADUB

TDI
2002 golf
I'm curious how the light output is compared to the oem hid in a mk4 golf. I have oem hids and the lihht output not great. With the newer projectors you use is the Iggy output improved over the old factory technology?

TDI
We've got a few sets of MK4 Jetta headlights that fell into our laps. These are not the same as our MK4 HID lights, but they could be good for anyone looking for an slight upgrade/replacement set on a budget.

The first set is a pair of DEPO projector headlights. When we received the previous owner had popped the adjusters out of the sockets and the lenses were faded. We corrected the adjusters so that everything is back in full working order, replaced the lenses with new 100% clear ones, and converted the turn signals to amber. These lights have a H7 HID bulbs for the low beam, H7 high beam bulb, turn signal, and city light bulb all included. They come with the proper adaptor harnesses and are a direct swap for the stock lights. A H7 halogen bulb can also be used in place of the HID bulb if desired. Light output is decent. Much better than a stock set of lights, not on par with our Jetta IV 4.0 lights. Asking $120 OBO. PM me if interested.

The second pair is a set of OEM HID replica lights. They come with glass lenses installed, Morimoto D2S 4300k bulbs, D2S-AMP adaptors to make them work with most aftermarket ballasts, H7 hgih beam bulbs, turn signal bulb, and LED city light bulbs. The projectors are 2.25" and can also take a H7 halogen bulb in place of the D2S HID bulb (so we're told). They have one slightly broken tab photoed below. Otherwise in good condition. Light output is almost identical $100 OBO. PM me if interested.

JettaJack

TDI
04 & 06 Jettas, 15 Sportwagen
Some additional MKV questions

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the answers from your website form, but I'm afraid I am coming back with more questions for the OEM HID look versions on the Jetta V.

First, what have folks been doing about DRLs when updating to HID units? Have they been just turning them off? Switching to foglights? (which I do not have yet!) Somehow wiring angel-eyes in as DRLs, or what?

Second, If a shroud is added, what impact does the angel-eye have on the unit? Is there a particular shroud that works well with this OEM look unit, or does adding the angel-eye just cover up the shroud no matter what, so there is no point in adding one?

Third, you say on the product page that high beam function is configurable. Where do we request that when ordering? I went into the checkout page and did not see any comments addition box.

I like the look of the black with chrome trim lights, but am trying to maintain functionality (and safety) of the car's DRLs. I may just have to go the route of installing fog lights to get there.

Thanks.

TDI
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the answers from your website form, but I'm afraid I am coming back with more questions for the OEM HID look versions on the Jetta V.

First, what have folks been doing about DRLs when updating to HID units? Have they been just turning them off? Switching to foglights? (which I do not have yet!) Somehow wiring angel-eyes in as DRLs, or what?

As far as I am aware, on the MK5 most people have just been leaving the the DRL alone. Nobody has indicated to me a switch to fog lights. I don't recall anyone ever ordering the MK5 lights with the angel eyes, so I'm not sure on that.

Second, If a shroud is added, what impact does the angel-eye have on the unit? Is there a particular shroud that works well with this OEM look unit, or does adding the angel-eye just cover up the shroud no matter what, so there is no point in adding one?

The standard shroud is best for angel eyes because it has a flat surface to mount them on. Many of the others have curved. The Iris and Ocular shrouds also are good for angel eyes. The rest I'd stay away from. The angel eye only covers the inner most portion of the shroud. The general visual appeal of the shroud should not change with an angel eye added.

Third, you say on the product page that high beam function is configurable. Where do we request that when ordering? I went into the checkout page and did not see any comments addition box.

You can write a comment in the paypal checkout. Default configuration is to have dual high beams. OEM configuration is to have HID low and halogen high. Just write a note how you want it setup.

I like the look of the black with chrome trim lights..

There is also an unlisted all black with chrome shroud setup. If you are interested in that ask me through PM:

Last edited:
TDI

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Jeff, what is the real difference between your version 2 and 4. I have version 2. Just wondering.

TDI
Jetta:

V2 used a single relay bi-xenon harness to control the high beam and ensure that the ballasts didn't turn off when switching back and fourth. This mean if the relay failed, the fuse on the harness failed, or if the drivers side low beam fuse failed, both lights went out. V2 used 55W slim ballasts. V2. used 4300k bulbs with attached wiring. Used silicone sealant.

V4 has individual high low harnesses in each headlight to control high beams. Also allows for each light to operate independently of the other and means both lights won't be out if a fuse blows. V4 uses 35W fast start ballasts (faster start, much increased reliability) with detachable ignitor and power power in. V4 uses 5500k bulbs with detachable wiring. Greater stability and no need to mess with the rear grommet when replacing a bulb. V4 has amber turn signal options. V4 uses Butyl sealant rather than silicone.

Golf:

Same as above regarding the bulbs, ballasts, and sealant. V4 has greatly upgraded projectors over v2. Super sharp cutoff and increased light output. Takes H1 bulb instead of proprietary bulb. v2 projector has a totally flat cutoff (-------), v4 has a stepped cutoff to allow more light in front of the car without blinding oncoming drivers ( ____/------) Amber turn signal option.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Ah, well, then, I have had the pleasure of that relay failing and have gotten from you the updated dual harness with new H1 55w bulbs and the 55w balasts (AC type) from DDM.
They have a lag in startup, but once they have warmed, they are pretty good.
Thanks Jeff.