Microreactor for distributed production of Biodiesel

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
Microreactor for distributed production of Biodiesel

21 February 2006

The microreactor. Click to enlarge. Chemical engineering researchers at Oregon State University have developed a microreactor for biodiesel production that promises to be efficient, fast and portable, and are looking for commercialization partners.
The microreactor, developed in association with the Oregon Nanoscience and Microtechnologies Institute (ONAMI), consists of a series of parallel channels, each smaller than a human hair, through which vegetable oil and alcohol are pumped simultaneously. At such a small scale the chemical reaction that converts the oil into biodiesel is extremely rapid.

. . .

Conventional biodiesel production methods involve dissolving a catalyst, such as sodium hydroxide, in alcohol, then agitating the alcohol mixture with vegetable oil in large vats for two hours. The liquid then sits while a slow chemical reaction occurs, creating biodiesel and glycerin, a byproduct that is separated. This glycerin can be used to make soaps, but first the catalyst in it must be neutralized and removed using hydrochloric acid.
The microreactors can produce biodiesel between 10 and 100 times faster than traditional methods, according to Jovanovic, who is also developing a method for coating the microchannels with a non-toxic metallic catalyst. This would eliminate the need for the dissolved chemical catalyst, making the production process even simpler.

Although the amount of biodiesel produced from a single microreactor is a trickle, the reactors can be connected and stacked in banks to increase production. A device the size of a small suitcase could produce hundreds of thousands of gallons per year, according to Jovanovic.
. . .

tsterkel

Veteran Member
bhtooefr said:
How many of these would be needed for 250 gallons per year?
speaking as an engineer, and not as a BioGeek....ONE.
... the amount of biodiesel produced from a single microreactor is a trickle, ... according to Jovanovic.
You simply put in in a bypass from the bottom of the tank to the top with a (very) small pump and run low volumes through the gizmo until the tank is converted (meets the test the BioGeeks specify, too lazy to look it up.) (hmmm, if the pump is too large, may have to put in a simple orifice flow restrictor.) 22 gallons a month is nothing. I would readily commit to 100 gallons a month with that set-up.

Last edited:

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, 2004 Passat GLS wagon
Their article drastically misrepresents the current state of technology. The only reason you let it sit for a day or so is to let the glycerin settle - since flow through centrifuges are too expensive for small scale processing. Their processor wouldn't change that in the slightest. It also wouldn't affect the need for methanol recovery, or by itself affect the need for washing - although the other catalyst they mention could.

On the company in Utah - yes, using a solid heterogeneous catalyst can simplify processing considerably. But, they're not the first company to offer this option. Capital Technologies has had such processors available for a while now. The main drawback is the high cost of the catalyst material, and the need to replace it periodically - although you do get a savings on eliminating the need for washing.

But, to claim it will "revolutionize" the industry, for either technology, is misleading.

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto
Mike I will have to agree.
But i have to look at it as a really good jump in technology.
i have been home brewing for about a year.
I watch and post to the other 2 forums (biodieselnow and the infopop) religously and have seen remarkably fast progress in this technology.

Yea drawbacks for the homebrewer are many.
this type of machine, if made affordable to us, would be a godsend.

Won't be long ,unfortunatly, before this is out of the grassroots hands entirely:(:(.

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
fredb said:
Mike I will have to agree.
But i have to look at it as a really good jump in technology.
i have been home brewing for about a year.
I watch and post to the other 2 forums (biodieselnow and the infopop) religously and have seen remarkably fast progress in this technology.

Yea drawbacks for the homebrewer are many.
this type of machine, if made affordable to us, would be a godsend.

Won't be long ,unfortunatly, before this is out of the grassroots hands entirely:(:(.
I don't really see how it would change things for us much - accept if they start using a solid catalyst in it, to eliminate the need for measuring out KOH. But, there's no reason that has to be done with a microreactor - you can do it fine with a homebrew sized processor, or much larger. With the microreactor, you should still need the surplus of methanol (since it's still an equilibrium reaction), meaning you still need to do methanol recovery (or water wash out the excess methanol).

What could be a big improvement for homebrewers is if someone starts making a solid heterogeneous catalyst affixed to a matrix of some sort that homebrewers can buy and stick in their processors, to eliminate the need for measuring out KOH, and washing (if the catalyst doesn't give soap formation, as alkali catalysts do).

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
Sounds like an end to the funding for biodiesel is in sight, making more grants and capital available for other energy sources to be researched.

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi5000TDI said:
Sounds like an end to the funding for biodiesel is in sight, making more grants and capital available for other energy sources to be researched.
Huh?

There's been squat as far as funding biodiesel research for years.