MIB1 Head Unit

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
Hello, fellow forum users!

Any of you guys doing the MIB1 to MIB2 upgrade have your old head unit (5G0035844 or 5G0035878AX) you would like to sell? Mine is the Fender system.

Or better yet, anyone know how to resolve the flicker issue without replacement?

Looks just like this.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I have a 5G0 035 844, not Fender but that's something that can be coded.
Now, you will be faced with CP (component protection) and I'm not sure if your closest dealer will help. The rest: coding, adaptations can be found online, heck even I can help although I don't consider myself and expert.

You will need VCDS, VCP, OBDeleven, or ODIS for the coding/adaptations. I have a VCP that I don't use that much, that I can sell as well.

The MIB1 can be yours for $80, but if you prefer to wait to see if someone else offers a solution to your issue, just send me an IM if you want it.

Last edited:

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
I have the same issue, of course it started at 37 months... Like it knew my warranty just ran out. From what I have read, you have to replace both the head unit and screen. It seems to be very common with the Mib1 units.
Hopefully you can find a solution that doesn't include a trip to the dealer.

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
Reading about the unit and based on my observations it seems like something loose with one of the fiber optic connections.

The unit functions completely normal, only the display is wonky. It's like it knows where the buttons are independent of what the video display projects. May just try taking it all apart and putting it back together to verify connections and such.

Crutchfield lists zero options for aftermarket. Anyone done an aftermarket unit on these or is MIB2 the way to go if I'm dropping money on it anyway?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Also have my old mib1 screen available, no scratches at all

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Crutchfield lists zero options for aftermarket. Anyone done an aftermarket unit on these or is MIB2 the way to go if I'm dropping money on it anyway?
There are no options because almost all vehicle settings are controlled through the infotainment headunit. Hence, an aftermarket would need the ability to talk to the CAN gateway, and potentially other modules too.