Metallic clunk/crack/pop from front end when turning steering wheel.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Hello all,

I have encountered my first issue with my 2014 Passat TDI SE.

Over the past month my Passat with almost 17K miles has developed a metal-on-metal sounding clunk/crack/pop audible from outside the vehicle. I hear it when I turn sharply at very low speed, such as when I am pulling into a parking spot or my garage stall, or when I turn the steering wheel with the vehicle stopped. The easiest way to replicate the sound is to stop the vehicle, put foot on brake, and crank wheel stop to stop. Typically, it will crack once or twice throughout the motion from one stop to the other, with the sound usually, but not always, occurring as the steering is just leaving a stop or is approaching a stop. The cracking sound changes its nature slightly and becomes more prominent and repeatable when the vehicle is leaning sideways on an incline, such as a driveway. For example, if I crank the steering wheel to nearly full right while the vehicle is parked on an incline with the passenger side downhill, I can replicate the cracking noise easily and indefinitely by simply turning the steering wheel near its right stop, but not so much near the left stop in this scenario.

My local dealership has already seen my car numerous times the past weeks trying to fix the issue. First, the mechanic suspected and replaced both front control arms, which did not resolve the cracking sound. Next, the mechanic dropped down the whole front "cradle" and inspected to no avail. Lastly, he did something along the lines of adjusting the heat shield surrounding the DPF outlet, since they thought it was somehow hitting the exhaust and making the sound. Not surprisingly, this exercise did not alleviate the cracking sound either. They still have the car and seem to be struggling to find the source of this easily replicated sound.

After searching around this forum, I discovered numerous members with NMS TDI's whose cars had failed sway bar links causing suspension clunking. Do my symptoms align with those associated with a failed sway bar end link, or should I look elsewhere for a broken/loose part in the front end? Does this sound like a soured steering rack, loose subframe, or perhaps a bad McPherson strut? What would you all suggest I investigate so I can find the source of the frustration and get my car fixed?

Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited:

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It could definitely be a sway bar end link. Since it seems to be more related to the steering instead of just the suspension, I'd check the obvious things first, like tie rod ends.