Mechanical Quantity Adjustment Values?

Betzel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Folks,

I'm going to a Bosch dealer Thursday to make a mechanical adjustment on my pump to bring it into spec and/or get it to behave nicer with the defective VW software in my "BD" ECU which shudders at slowdown. He has the tool for making the adjustment and I have the VAG-COM.

I'm resetting the adaptation to 32768 (stock setting), so I can do the job with the Bosch service tech. I have two questions that I do not believe we have ever completely answered:

1) What do members feel is the best all-around adjustment value (3.6, 3.8, 4.0?) for performance and shudder elimination or does it vary by car?

2) Have we ever really confirmed that leaning out the pump results in less power at the top end? or is there an adaptation that permits original power after a while?

I think another club member will join me later this week and I want to be sure I am providing him (as well as myself) with the best available info. As far as I know, only drivbiwire has done this with the Bosch "tool" - others have lucked out with a plastic mallet, duct tape and prayer - but done OK jobs.

Just tryin to do it "right" if there is such a thing. Thanks in advance,

-Betzel

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
With all Engine Adaptations values set to 32768 before reaching the Bosch Injection Center, have the tech mechanically move the Fuel Quantity Adjuster a hair towards the passenger side in order to backoff the pump's cutoff sleeve.

On a hot engine, shooting for a leaner setting of 3.2 - 3.4 display value is close to ideal and should eliminate your shuddering, with 3.4 splitting the difference between the 2.2 - 9.0 range. Some folks have complained about less power off the line if the pump is adjusted beyond 4.0.

It's also preferable to have your Ignition Timing and Air Flow set properly before making this adjustment, as all 3 areas change in different directions whenever one is adjusted.