Mechanic in Markham or Scarborough area.

Fitn3rd

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Hello everyone.

The mechanic I've been going to is great and all but I want to try taking my car to a mechanic that specializes in TDi.

Work that my current mechanic told me I need to take care of: I need to do all 4 brakes (apparently an entire brake job).4 new tires. Fix some stabilization part .An alignment. A new fuel filter and then whatever else a TDi needs at 212,000 km. (Praying it's not time for the timing belt, it was done last at 160,000 at the dealer).

The point of this post is to find out

1. Whether I should be so obsessed with using OEM parts from VW or should I be more lenient, cave and use aftermarket parts.

2. Are there any reputable TDi mechanics near Markham or Scarborough.

3. Should I just go to VW and have them service the car?

I know, I can trade this car in or sell it privately but I won't get much more than what I owe for it, so it's more financially feasible for me to maintain and keep it than pay more for another vehicle. Plus, it's an amazing car, literally no complaints and it can easily last another 5 years.

Thanks for reading and please provide constructive feedback. Thank you.

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (RIP), 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
1. Consider the fact that VW only directly manufactures select parts in-house like engine blocks, chassis metal, and other important bits and bobs. The rest of your car's parts are supplied by other companies. Take a peek at some interior plastic trim or suspension parts and you might find a VW/Audi stamp right next to a name like VDO/Continental, Valeo, Bosch, Boge/Sachs... the list goes on... so, choose wisely (aka not Chinesium) but don't be afraid of aftermarket just because it doesn't have a VW logo and big price tag.

3. Do you like paying double for parts and 150/hr for labour? As an example, the fuel filter for your 2011 TDI (assuming CJAA engine = p/n 1K0127434B) has a list price of $55.62 at the dealer, OR can be found for under $25 from reputable German companies like Mann or Hengst. Some things like electronic module programming can only be done at the dealer, it's true, but I'd say over 80% of your needs can be met by a competent indy mechanic.

Good luck and hope this didn't come off too harsh! Enjoy your ride, wherever it takes you.

Fitn3rd

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Thanks for taking the time to post.
That seems like reasonably sound advice.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
2. Are there any reputable TDi mechanics near Markham or Scarborough.
This is just outside of Scarborough, and a recommended shop with reasonable rates:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Everything you listed that you vehicle needs can be done by any competent mechanic.
The TB doesn't need replacing again at this time.
Either stick with your existing guy, or go to a new shop, but they don't need to know anything about TDIs to do any of that.
The fuel filter replacement is the most "TDI specific" thing on that list.

Fitn3rd

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
I appreciate the advice from everyone.

I just felt like touching on a few points.
Only cause I was trying to remain reasonable and thought to go to my mechanic to do some suggested work since i have time off work coming up.

Going through the suggested work, I couldn't help but notice the prices for things.

For example:

Replace fuel filter. (preventative maintenance):

Professional Technical Service - $129.32
Fuel Filter - $116.47

So basically charging an hour of labour for something that takes 30 mins max and charging almost 4 times what I saw a German (Hengst) Fuel filter costs including shipping and taxes.

Am I overreacting?
Will any shop I go to cost similar?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have no idea what you're talking about above! Any mechanic or DIYer who's worked on a TDI before can change a fuel filter in 10-20min while making all sorts of puppies and stuff. What's all this pro service you're talking about?

Fitn3rd

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
I literally copy and pasted from a quote I got for services on my car.

Heres something else on that:

Alignment, Four Wheel: $155.54
How are alignments $155 these days? Like aren't these $50-$70?

Like I almost want to call them and be like, what's this all about?

This one I took care of myself by buying the filter and taking 10 minutes to replace but check this out:

Replace Air Filter (plugged)
Technical Service: $103.70
Advantage Filter: $44.09
So like almost an hour of labour.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a biz, so they need to make money. Learn how to do it yourself and quit barking about it or find some smaller shop with less overhead and get more reasonable rates. Most routine maintenance stuff you can do yourself with a small investment in tools, but once you get into alignments and stuff, the equipment is big $$$$ so you have to pay. Typical alignment rates are about $99 per axle at most shops. If or when you get one, ensure that you get before and after printouts and that you understand how to read them and what the factory specs are. A lot of places just make claims but don't really align things properly or the best they can.

Fitn3rd

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
I understand that shops need to make money :)
I think the point is, these prices are a little unreasonable.

I wouldn't have "barked" if they charged me for half an hour on labour because there's a price to be paid for someone else servicing your car, which is understandable however, those prices are a little unreasonable in my opinion.

I feel like maybe they were trying to catch a sucker.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
It's a biz, so they need to make money. Learn how to do it yourself and quit barking about it or find some smaller shop with less overhead and get more reasonable rates. Most routine maintenance stuff you can do yourself with a small investment in tools, but once you get into alignments and stuff, the equipment is big $$$$ so you have to pay. Typical alignment rates are about $99 per axle at most shops. If or when you get one, ensure that you get before and after printouts and that you understand how to read them and what the factory specs are. A lot of places just make claims but don't really align things properly or the best they can.
There's businesses needing to make money, and then there's just downright robbery... The quotes OP got fall into the robbery category. Reasonable rate shops exist, just have to do some searching around your area... Sometimes just searching on google maps and reading some reviews might give you some clues (although reviews should sometimes be taken with a grain of salt, good or bad). Also, I have gotten alignments in the last couple years for 70-80,they still exist... Unless it's something more detailed, an alignment shouldn't be more then 80, max 90

OP, answer is simple, find another shop

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Alignment, Four Wheel: $155.54
How are alignments $155 these days? Like aren't these $50-$70?
For alignment, I will recommend this shop in Markham:
Ksl Automotive Services
7 Heritage Rd #2, Markham
Phone: (905) 471-7811
Owner: Malik

The cost should be between $60-$80 cash. He will provide you with a printout of the adjustments made and final readings/values.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would not let anyone do a 4 wheel alignment (read make actual adjustments) for $60 unless they were doing me a huge favor (like a friend's shop or something). But that's just me.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you make $25/h at your job, would you do an hour's worth of the same work if I offered you $10 for it? Pretty much the same thing

The only way you'd take that $10 would be if you told me you did an hour's worth of whatever type of work, and you really did efff all in exchange.

Look up what's involved in making alignment adjustments on a vehicle and let me know if you would do all that work for $60 cash.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
An alignment does not take more then one hour of labour. There are shops which still have a labour rate of 80 to 90 an hour, I know a few, and they do good work. The dealers who are charging 150 bucks do no better of a job with their fancy equipment then a local independent charging 80...i know because I've seen it, just because it's more doesn't mean it's better

To each their own. As ive already said, find yourself a reputable shop. Dollar amount does not automatically mean a better job

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Dealership alignment near me is $160 out the door; CanadianTire is $125 or so, as are most of the tire shops.

There are lots of TDI guys around the GTA, so you might be able to find someone nearby willing to help you out. User @Wingnut lives east of the city there somewhere, and while he's not active here much anymore, he might know a couple other driveway-fixers who'll do the work for you for reasonable price (apart from alignment, of course).

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Alignments take anywhere from 1/2 hour to several hours. It depends on what the readings are, and what adjustments need to be made. Sometimes you get lucky and everything adjusts nicely, but...

It's a regular occurance that tie rods are siezed up, and require torches or other measures to unsieze. Need to do that on both sides... AND... not set the steering rack boots and CV boots on fire? Need to shift the subframe because cross-camber is off? If you're only willing to pay for an hour's labour, for a highly trained mechanic, using an alignment machine that costs north of $30k, then you deserve to get what you pay for.

Sure, there are some times where the measurements are good and the tie rods adjust easily, but those are in the minority.

Anyone who thinks " An alignment does not take more then one hour of labour " has never worked in a mechanical shop.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Alignments take anywhere from 1/2 hour to several hours. It depends on what the readings are, and what adjustments need to be made. Sometimes you get lucky and everything adjusts nicely, but...

It's a regular occurance that tie rods are siezed up, and require torches or other measures to unsieze. Need to do that on both sides... AND... not set the steering rack boots and CV boots on fire? Need to shift the subframe because cross-camber is off? If you're only willing to pay for an hour's labour, for a highly trained mechanic, using an alignment machine that costs north of $30k, then you deserve to get what you pay for.

Sure, there are some times where the measurements are good and the tie rods adjust easily, but those are in the minority.

Anyone who thinks " An alignment does not take more then one hour of labour " has never worked in a mechanical shop.
I don't doubt for a moment that a proper, thorough alignment, takes more then an hour, however, in all the mechanical shops I have worked in the past, I have NEVER seen a tech take more then an hour to do an alignment... i'm sure these shops that do proper, very detailed to last nanometer of adjustment alignments exist, but I have yet to find one. The place I went to told me they needed to heat the tie rods to unseize them... still only charged 70 bucks, and it doesn't appear like they burned or screwed anything up... at least my car has been driving straight as an arrow since, and I haven't had an abnormal tie wear, or other tell tale signs of a poor alingment...

Like I said, whatever helps people sleep at night. If one finds a shop that charges 200 for an alignment and they do an out of this world job, great, have at it.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
So which is it?
Probably both

I personally, in all the auto shops I have worked, never seen one take longer then an hour, nor have any of my cars needed alignments that took longer then an hour... when presented with the alignment sheet for my cars, everything was within the allowable specs. When i've done paperwork for cars that have received alignments, none of the techs ever took more then an hour, and the car was within the allowable specs. Given my experiences, it leads me to believe a majority of alignments don't require more then 1 hour worth of labour

But like I said, I can see a very detailed, thorough alignment taking more then an hour, like shifting a subframe as you alluded too, or doing more finite adjustments... I have never, ever heard of someone ever shifting a subframe for an alignment... I don't doubt that some do, i've just never heard of it in my limited time working and being around cars. So if someone wants to be really, really picky about every small detail and have it in absolute perfect spec, then sure, it can be over an hour.

Fitn3rd

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Well it seems like it's decision time with this car.

This is an amazing car with it's own quirks (transmission) but love her or hate her, I'm planning to keep her as long as I can.

Here's what I was quoted:

Level 3 NPP - Diesel Internal Engine Cleaning & Fuel System Protection Service

Professional Technical Service
$25.92*H

Engine Performance Restoration EPR
1 Unit $29.83 / Unit$29.83H

Diesel Oil Conditioner DOC
1 Unit $27.00 / Unit$27.00H

Premium Diesel Fuel System Cleaner.
1 Unit $43.65 / Unit $43.65H

Sub $126.40

Not going to lie, this seems like they are charging me for pouring bottles into my fuel tank..

Fuel Filter

$129.62*H

Fuel Filter
1 Unit$116.47 / Unit$116.47H Sub

$246.09

I was quoted for an install for less than half by a member.

Disc Brake Service (Front) Caliper Brake System Service.

Inspection & service of caliper brake system, clean rust/debris & lubricate guide pins as necessary.
(preventative maintenance)

$103.70*H

Includes cleaning and prep materials (chemical, lubricant, hardware, etc) as required

1 Unit $20.88 / Unit$20.88H

Sub$124.58

Disc Brake Pads & Rotors (Rear) - with Electronic Calipers

Replace both rear brakes, includes caliper service. Perform rear electronic caliper reset procedure.

Additional fluids may be required to complete this service.

Retest and verify repair as required.

Perform final road test.
(low pad life 4mm, rotors are rusted on braking surface).

$194.43*H

Electronic Reset Procedure $51.85*H
Disc Brake Pad
1 Unit$135.40 / Unit$135.40H

Disc Brake Rotor
2 Unit$90.91 / Unit$181.82H

Includes cleaning and prep materials (chemical, lubricant, hardware, etc) as required

1 Unit$20.88 / Unit$20.88H

Sub $584.38

Brake Fluid Service

Drain and refill fluid to proper capacity with new fluid.

Bleed brake fluid system and leak test vehicle system.

Perform final road test. (preventative maintenance)

**PLUS COST OF FLUIDS

Professional Technical Service $116.66*H
DOT 4 Brake Fluid $37.68H

Sub$154.34

Timing Belt & Water Pump

Replace timing belt and water pump

Professional Technical Service $596.25*H

Timing Belt w/ Water Pump
1 Unit$935.53 / Unit$935.53H

Sub$1,531.78

Cooling System Fluid Service

Drain and refill system fluid to proper capacity with new fluid.

Bleed cooling system.
(to be done with timing belt and water pump)

**PRICE WILL CHANGE DEPENDING ON ACTUAL QUANTITY OF FLUID USED

Professional Technical Service $168.51*H
VW/Audi Coolant $93.92H

Sub$262.43

Suspension Stabilizer/ Sway Bar Link

Replace both stabilizer/sway bar link.
(RF noisy)

**part is 2 year warranty

LINK KIT FRT STAB SHF
2 Unit $72.02 / Unit$144.04H

Includes Oxygen/Acetylene or Mig Welding supplies used to repair, replace, or adjust component(s)
1 Unit$14.96 / Unit $14.96H

Sub $327.51

There were a few more things like my filter, which I changed myself easily and 4 new tires with alignment and with balancing, etc.

Seeing this, am I being ripped off ?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Do the math - their hourly rate is 129.62 per hour. All you need to do is search and find what these services require for time, and then search the parts prices they have listed at reputable vendors.

For example on the brakes - 1.5 hours, plus $135 for pads and $90 each for rotors. Go to Rockauto dot com and see what those same parts cost shipped to you. The timing belt is a little over 6 hours including the extra for the coolant flush. The timing belt kit is $349 USD including all belts, rollers, water pump and bolts. WIth the exchange and shipping I bet you could come well under the $935 they are quoting/

Reactions: GD

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow! All of that seems mega-pricey!
Like, if you're doing the "brake inspection", the car's in the air and all the wheels are off so doing a brake fluid flush is like 20minutes:
  • Attach pressure bleeder with 1L of OEM brake fluid ($25).
  • Open LF and drain 150mL.
  • Open RF and drain 200mL
  • Open LR and drain 250mL
  • Open RR and drain 300mL
  • The end.
I know people gotta make a living, but still....?
(Did not know that the 2011 had an option for electronic parking brake?!)

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm having a hard time picking a favorite for best value..... can't decide between

Disc Brake Service (Front) Caliper Brake System Service.

Inspection & service of caliper brake system, clean rust/debris & lubricate guide pins as necessary.

$103.70*H

1 Unit $20.88 / Unit$20.88H

Sub$124.58
$125 to lube sliders as PM.... so basically, walk by the front brakes!

OR

Cooling System Fluid Service

Drain and refill system fluid to proper capacity with new fluid.

Bleed cooling system.
(to be done with timing belt and water pump)

**PRICE WILL CHANGE DEPENDING ON ACTUAL QUANTITY OF FLUID USED

VW/Audi Coolant $93.92H

Sub$262.43
So let's charge another $262 on top of the $1532 TB job where we already did all this! Double dip much?

But the Lever 3 NPP is kind of awesome too!

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I think its been mentioned before in another thread of yours or in this one. There are MANY reputable private shops in the GTA that would complete this for much less then what you were quoted. Review the South Ontario Mechanic Review thread and pick your favorite. I see you're located in Markham, just west of you a 20 min drive, lands you in Concord where Precision Tuning (Perjad) is located. That's one option. Many more south, north, east and west of Markham. Good luck.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I forgot how I wanted to pile on this one:
Fuel Filter
$129.62*H

Fuel Filter
1 Unit$116.47 / Unit$116.47H Sub

$246.09
Fuel filter for $125, plus a full hour of "Professional Technical Service" to change it?!
$20USD; you can find same brand in Canada for <$30, no problem.

How to change:
Not that you have to do it, but judge for yourself if that looks like $129+HST worth of "professional technical service".

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For reference and educational purposes only, if you shop around for whatever kind of parts (read OEM, el cheapo, mid-grade, etc.) you want to use, you can still go to a competent wrench turning mechanic and give them all your parts.
Here's what the last complete brake job cost me in parts

Fitn3rd

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Thanks for all your feedback.

I wanted to back my post up with some context for you all to visualize.

Imagine, I've been going there for years.
How easy it is to smile at your face and steal from you.

I sure will be looking for other mechanics.
By the way perjad is great, he did my alh timing belt back in the day.