McNally boost gauge malfunctioning...

audibahn

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Were you all able to resolve this issue? I have the same problem. The gauge was working fine for a while and then started reading over the actual pressure. The delta was still accurate, but I could only wish I was pushing 25 or more PSI :)
Interesting thing is that the gauge was stuck at 10PSI last night. Turned the car off and came back the next morning with the gauge still at 10PSI. I then removed the connector at the transducer under the hood and reconnected which reset the gauge back to 0.

Any suggestions?

Stringer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI
In my case it turned out to be the placement of my pressure sensor. It was on the bottom side of the plastic upper intercooler pipe (?) It got plugged up with gunk in that location. We cleaned it and moved it to the side of the pipe and it works perfectly now. I think any location where it can stay the cleanest would be best. Having it placed so it is pointing down would probably be best as the sensor is hollow and collects oil and dirt easily. Having it point down would help keep this build-up to a minimum.

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Stringer said:
In my case it turned out to be the placement of my pressure sensor. It was on the bottom side of the plastic upper intercooler pipe (?) It got plugged up with gunk in that location. We cleaned it and moved it to the side of the pipe and it works perfectly now. I think any location where it can stay the cleanest would be best. Having it placed so it is pointing down would probably be best as the sensor is hollow and collects oil and dirt easily. Having it point down would help keep this build-up to a minimum.
LOL. I did the same thing with the first boost gauge I installed on my TDI. I tapped the plastic intercooler pipe on the bottom for a "stealth" install. Worked great for about 3 days until my analog gauge got oil inside it :eek:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
No "major" problems with my gauges so far. The EGT thermocouple had to be replaced, but they are the same type that everyone else uses too. Had some of the black paint on the center of the needle flake off. Shouldn't happen with how expensive these gauges are, but minor nonetheless.

The only real problem I've had is one segment on the digital readout is not functioning. I intend to contact Dave or Bob about it to see what they want to do. Hopefully they can get some of these quality issues ironed out, as they put out a unique product and give good customer service.

Last edited:

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
This is an interesting thread. I've had all of the above problems. Currently I'm missing the lower horizontal part of the digital readout and from time to time the analog gauge misreads. Sometimes it quivers like a dying fish, other times it reads a consistently high or low pressure. If I'd do it all over again I'd just get a VDO gauge and call it good.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
My EGT gage is reading all over the map.. at steady cruising its reading 1850*... I know my car isnt putting out that kind of heat loafing down the freeway.

I guess its time for my 3rd one of these.. wheres that shipping box.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I haven't had any problems with mine, besides after having the car running for 18 hrs straight, one of the sections of the third number is burnt out.

Maybe different batches? I have had mine for over a year, if not longer.

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I'm on my second transducer. It hasn't over read like it did the first time it malfunctioned (5psi too high like others have mentioned), but it does "quiver" from time to time just like Keggo mentioned. It seems to do it more when the engine is cold. Still not sure about the quality of these transducers though.

Pugsley

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle
My oil pressure will quiver some times. And I have some burnt out segments on the digital readouts. I had this happen before.. and they were promptly fixed. Now my oil temp is missing segments again and my water temp (has never been fixed) just started to show missing segments.

audibahn

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Thanks everyone. Sounds like this is a more common problem than I thought. The symptoms you're describing are the same for me - overreading, more frequent in cold weather, random, quivering, etc. My transducer is mounted on the side of the IC pipe, but I'll give it a cleaning anyway. If that doesn't work, I'll try to get in touch with McNally.

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I need to see if they can send me a new transducer. It never goes to zero at rest and the needle quivering gets very irritating. It's done this since I installed it. I love the gauge but it has some kinks that need to be ironed out.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
bayshorecs said:
Getting ready to call on mine. 2nd time the digital display has lost hashs. Getting tough to read the one's place but I tend to ignore that one anyway...
Let us know about what they say about missing hashes...its no fun...

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Send it in and they will replace it. They said the high heat from the light is not making the display hold up very well.

I don't know how much longer they will replace for free though...

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
bayshorecs said:
Send it in and they will replace it. They said the high heat from the light is not making the display hold up very well.

I don't know how much longer they will replace for free though...
Hmmm...I sent them an email a while ago...never heard back from them...

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/Bora Wagon 2002 Black, 2006 Jetta TDI
My digital readout went too. I'll have to call.

Stringer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI
I hope all of you have better luck than I had. I e-mailed McNally twice ... months ago and no reply. If it was not for Kerma's help I would not have figured out what was wrong with my McNally set-up. Not impressed.

Helmut3

TDI
Golf 2001 TDI
i too not impressed with reliability of their product. they charge arm and leg like most cottage industry in tdiclub, but they not even field tested product. i found out they not really aerospace hardware but do flight simulator, which explain why they cannot build outdoor product.

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/Bora Wagon 2002 Black, 2006 Jetta TDI
If you call the contact info, it should go straight to Dave. I just talked to him and it seems there's a charge now, but he couldn't tell me how much. They need to evaluate it first. The supposed warranty is out (purchased Aug'08) so I can either live with it, or send it in. :mad: A gauge this expensive should not have this problem. I have digital readouts that are older than I am that have no problem.

Stringer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI
This could be another thread. But, I would like to know if anybody has had no problems with their sensor placement and if so where? I moved mine from the bottom of the upper inter-cooler pipe to the side. The gauge worked fine for a little while but is now back to being stuck between 4-5 psi at idle etc. I gather that it has some gunk in it again.

I assume having the sensor vertical pointing down so fluid will not collect is the best, but where? Is the only place to drill a hole in the pipe where the EGT valve is?

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
No problems with the sensors on mine. The boost is tapped on the side of the IC pipe and the EGT is tapped on the side of the turbo housing.

I got my gauge back the other day after getting the display fixed again. I like the gauge, but the display component needs a different model or something. 2 times burned out so far in 1 1/2 years.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I'm pretty sure that I'm having issues with the Boost sensor on my car. It seems to be reading quite high when I accelerate. Like Mid 30's:confused: and my car is only currently tuned for 24 psi.

Stringer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI
bayshorecs said:
No problems with the sensors on mine. The boost is tapped on the side of the IC pipe and the EGT is tapped on the side of the turbo housing.

I got my gauge back the other day after getting the display fixed again. I like the gauge, but the display component needs a different model or something. 2 times burned out so far in 1 1/2 years.
Maybe I have to monitor how much gunk that is flowing through my IC pipe a little more closely.

jamest

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon, 02 Golf
My VDO boost gauge hasn't had any problems over the past 6 years. Does anyone have a McNally without any issues? I really wanted to get one of these, but now I'm 2nd guessing it.

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
jamest said:
My VDO boost gauge hasn't had any problems over the past 6 years. Does anyone have a McNally without any issues? I really wanted to get one of these, but now I'm 2nd guessing it.
I have two of them which gives me four gauges. No problems with mine so far and I truly love them....PM if you want to know more....

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
My boost gauge is the only one that has been giving me problems, otherwise there others seem to be working fine. So I'm probably going to swap the McNally boost gauge for a Mechnical.

I sent Bob an email last week and still haven't heard anything back. I just wanted to see if it was the sensor, so I asked if they would send me a new one to try and apparently they aren't really interested.:confused:

IMO customer service is lacking a little bit.:(

Gearhead51

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
On occasion, mine fluctuates erratically about 2 psi. It's not the normal VNT oscillation I'm accustomed to, but more of a "twitch". I grounded the sensor firmly to the intake mani and the gauge is grounded to the factory ground under the dash. Should I have run the sensor ground inside the car and grounded both at the same point?