Master Cylinder I think.....

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I have had issues recently where my clutch pedal has no resistance, sinks to the floor and cannot get it into gear. Sometimes it comes back after a few minutes. Brakes seem fine and the clutch isn't slipping at all. Fluid level is fine and I can't find find any leaks. I'm thinking it's the Master Cylinder. Thoughts?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yep - that's what it is. Seal gone in the clutch master cylinder that allows fluid to be drawn in, with some air trapped in the clutch line to the slave (or at least, that's how it makes sense in my brain.)
Once it heats up, or you pump the pedal a few times to build up some pressure, you can get sufficient pressure to enable clutch release.

If you try to bleed it, I bet you get *some* fluid, but it won't continue to stream even with pressure on the reservoir. And if you pump the pedal with bleeder open...similarly no more fluid.
Note that if you do bleed off that fluid and no more comes out, you'll have no clutch pedal anymore - it'll go to floor and stay there.

Master cylinder is a real PITA the first few times you do it; but once you get the hang of how to get that hydraulic line inserted, it's not too terrible.