Manual transmission fluid

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Here is spec. of all manual transmissions fluids from old beetle to 2009 vw.

1.up to 1992 all vw regular GL-4

2.from 1993-1999 mk3 G50 synt. 75w-90 part no. G 005 000

3.1999+ 5 speed part no. was G0 52 726 A2 and update to G0 60 726 A2

4. 2002- 2009 most 6 speed(need check by vin
or trans. code)
part no. Go 52 171 A2

5.2006+ most models(again need check by vin or trans. code) and wagon mk4
Part no. was G0 55 726 A2 update to G0 70 726 A2

All fluids runs from $15-$25 ,except G0 52 171 A2 which is around $35-$40,depending on State.
All fluids should be replace about every 100k unless you have update on fluid.
For example if you have 05 jetta 5 speed and you have 65k ,your original fluid was G0 52 726 A2 and you should change to G0 60 726 A2.

Only 6 speed need to be change every 80k.

Red line MT-90 or MTL 70w-80 is alternate fluid for VW transmissions but I would stick with original fluid. It is not big different in price but if your transmission go bad ,it is big price to fix it.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I use MTL, and it is superb fluid.

Here's one for the anectodal evidence crowd: I can absolutely guarantee that more VW transaxles have failed using genuine VW lube than VW transaxles have failed using MTL.

iamstuffed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Blue Anthracite
Powder Hound said:
I use MTL, and it is superb fluid.

Here's one for the anectodal evidence crowd: I can absolutely guarantee that more VW transaxles have failed using genuine VW lube than VW transaxles have failed using MTL.
Eh, it's useless though. A better metric would be the percentage of failures with MTL vs percentage of failures with VW lube.

The number of people using MTL is significantly less than those using VW lubes, so there obviously would be significantly less failures.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
...that's just because the people that have MTL in their trans have changed it.

The Lubromoly works better than the redline anyway in some applications.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I've had MTL in my '03JW for 50k. Mine is buttery smooth both summer and winter. I don't know what the price differential is now, but at the time MTL was also a lot cheaper than the VW flavor. MTL is very good stuff.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My whole point, made with tongue in cheek, is that a lot of opinions, fully supported by vapors and nothing else, somehow get "recommended" a lot. Somehow, if it gets repeated enough, it then attains a "it is strongly recommended" phrase attached to it.

And that strong recommendation is worth exactly as much as it cost you to read it.

VW synthetic fluids aren't any better than Redline, while MTL is significantly cheaper than VW synthetic.

I suppose that if you really want to pay more, then you ought to go buy your fluids at Ferrari. They'll be happy to charge lots more than even VW. And it isn't any better than MTL. Uses the same base stocks from the same supplier even.

Kluster, if you aren't having trouble with your transaxle, then don't bother. If you are worried, then check it. Remove the fill plug, and get something clean to dip into the transaxle. Check what your dipstick looks like. If the fluid is clean and clear, doesn't contain floaties, sinkies, or any other debris (you'd have to drive it a bit before dipping), no evidence of foreign fluid (like water, which would cause clouding), then you should be good to go. If the fluid level is low (not to the bottom of the fill plug) then top it off as you see fit.

I'd figure you have nothing to worry about. If you see no evidence of any leakage, no hard shifting or grinding or other problems of that sort, sleep well and be happy.

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
truman said:
I've had MTL in my '03JW for 50k. Mine is buttery smooth both summer and winter. I don't know what the price differential is now, but at the time MTL was also a lot cheaper than the VW flavor. MTL is very good stuff.
I changed the gear oil in my '02 Jetta at ~100k. I priced the VW stuff at the local stealer....$30 per liter. The nearby local foreign auto supply store was $10/liter for Lubromoly. The choice was easy.

Kluster

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003
Powder Hound said:
Kluster, if you aren't having trouble with your transaxle, then don't bother. If you are worried, then check it. Remove the fill plug, and get something clean to dip into the transaxle. Check what your dipstick looks like. If the fluid is clean and clear, doesn't contain floaties, sinkies, or any other debris (you'd have to drive it a bit before dipping), no evidence of foreign fluid (like water, which would cause clouding), then you should be good to go. If the fluid level is low (not to the bottom of the fill plug) then top it off as you see fit.

I'd figure you have nothing to worry about. If you see no evidence of any leakage, no hard shifting or grinding or other problems of that sort, sleep well and be happy.
I'll have a look. Thanks for the suggestion. I have to say, that in the winter, when the transmission is cold, it's a bit of a pain to get in to 2nd gear and it will grind from time to time when engaging that gear.

A buddy of mine said he could get MTL for 12$CDN/L or something like that.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Kluster,

You have an SAE 75w-90 in your transaxle - the Redline MTL is more like an SAE 70w-80 and will definitely help with cold weather shifting. The Redline MT-90 or Amsoil MTG would not be the way to go for your climate, they have similar viscometrics to the factory fill fluid.

As a side note, many issues with shift quality in older, high mileage VW's are due to wear/adjustment of shift linkages, so check that first!

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I just put g70 in, appears to be mineral based, highly refined, very low odor. Shifting characteristics are good. $11/l at dealer, and is supposed to work for all vw manual transmissions.

G052 smelled evil.

Tanaka

TDI
Golf Mk3 1,9 TDI 1Z
1Z tranny oil

Hello to everybody, since this is my first post in this forum!

I have a 1996 VW Golf Mk3 TDI, engine code 1Z, with a 5 speed manual gearbox and I want to change the transmission oil. I have the car for 2 yrs and it is now at almost 300k km; I don't know when the oil was last changed, and also sometimes 1st gear changes are noisy. If I shift in 1st with a little delay after I press the clutch it works fine though, without any noise.

I have been offered VW OEM tranny oil with the code G 060 726 A2, can anybody confirm if it is within the specs of my car's gearbox, is it compatible with G50 or do I have to return it (unfortunately, I have bought it based on the store's advice)? From the first post, I would conclude that G50 and G60 are incompatible, although I would not bet on it.
Also, could that noisy 1st gear have another cause than the possible aged tranny oil (I guess I would find out "if" very soon, anyway)?

PS. Shifting into reverse also makes a comparable noise with that buggy 1st gear shift.

Last edited:

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Any way to pour MT fluid from the top?

Is there an alternate hole on the top of the tranny, to pour new fluid into? Like the VSS, or the flywheel sight hole? I'd prefer not to jimmy a funnel/hose rig, as it still enters perpendicular, and will inevitably make a mess, and 90w is some of the foulest-smelling oil around.

Also, i have a tip to share (dont know if it's been mentioned before). To remove/install the fluid sight bolt, you don't need a 17mm allen wrench, which you will never use for anything else in life. Use the hex head of a lug bolt, as shown in the pics below. I was originally going to buy a 17mm bolt + 2 nuts, and use that to wrench it in/out, but tried a lug first, and voila!

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Is there an alternate hole on the top of the tranny, to pour new fluid into? Like the VSS, or the flywheel sight hole? I'd prefer not to jimmy a funnel/hose rig, as it still enters perpendicular, and will inevitably make a mess, and 90w is some of the foulest-smelling oil around.
DON'T use the flywheel sight hole, as you'll dump gear oil all over your clutch.

The side hole spillage is how you know you've got the right amount of oil in there. It's an ineligant system, but it works.

Get one of those large flat drip pans to catch the spillage. A large foil cooking pan from a supermarket would also work.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I checked into changing the transaxle on our 1994 VW Cabrio. Found out it is filled with synthetic. I'll leave it as is. Generally, the only thing that goes is the seal swell additive, e.g. the seals start to sling oil at some point because they've shrunk due to the additive losing some activity due to "probably" reaction with ppm levels of stuff in dino oil. Doubt synthetic has this problem.

Think you risk contaminating your oil unless you do the change VERY carefully. There's no filter nor circulation on this stuff in a manual transmission other than what the gear churn around to take out contaminants. Think most have magnetic drain plugs to catch metal particles.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
DON'T use the flywheel sight hole, as you'll dump gear oil all over your clutch.

The side hole spillage is how you know you've got the right amount of oil in there. It's an ineligant system, but it works.

Get one of those large flat drip pans to catch the spillage. A large foil cooking pan from a supermarket would also work.
I dont mind the Its-Full-Now spillage; its the "pouring/squeezing it sideways" spillage i want to avoid. I use the 99c-store turkey pans for regular oil changes. Ah, screw it. If it spills, it spills.

Thanks, MayorDJQ

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I dont mind the Its-Full-Now spillage; its the "pouring/squeezing it sideways" spillage i want to avoid. I use the 99c-store turkey pans for regular oil changes. Ah, screw it. If it spills, it spills.

Thanks, MayorDJQ
Get 18 or 24" of fuel hose, stick the funnel in one end, fish the other down to the fill tube.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
It actually squirted in pretty easily, with me laying on the ground. Last time i put gear oil into a tranny (20 yrs ago?), it was so thick that it required an external hand pump.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another great place to check for binding is the shaft under the golf club weight. That shaft has to move up and down as well as turn. If it gets cleaned by hosing out the engine bay, a little oil on top there will really help.

09 VW TDI

TDI
2009 2.0 tdi Jetta
09 Jetta 6 speed

this is my first stick shift, in my Durango I use as royal purple could I use the RP here with this jetta?

Here is spec. of all manual transmissions fluids from old beetle to 2009 vw.

1.up to 1992 all vw regular GL-4

2.from 1993-1999 mk3 G50 synt. 75w-90 part no. G 005 000

3.1999+ 5 speed part no. was G0 52 726 A2 and update to G0 60 726 A2

4. 2002- 2009 most 6 speed(need check by vin or trans. code)
part no. Go 52 171 A2

5.2006+ most models(again need check by vin or trans. code) and wagon mk4
Part no. was G0 55 726 A2 update to G0 70 726 A2

All fluids runs from $15-$25 ,except G0 52 171 A2 which is around $35-$40,depending on State.
All fluids should be replace about every 100k unless you have update on fluid.
For example if you have 05 jetta 5 speed and you have 65k ,your original fluid was G0 52 726 A2 and you should change to G0 60 726 A2.

Only 6 speed need to be change every 80k.

Red line MT-90 or MTL 70w-80 is alternate fluid for VW transmissions but I would stick with original fluid. It is not big different in price but if your transmission go bad ,it is big price to fix it.

jacount

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS
I changed my 2004 5 speed to Amsoil gear oil, and while it was fine in warm weather, it made it shift a bit hard and notchy when it's cold out. I am switching back to VW 070 after around 25k