Manual Tranny Fluid

Fletch63

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Beetle 5spd, 2004 Passat B5.5 GLS
Looking for suggestions on what tranny fliud to put into my 2003 TDI Wagon. I purchased the car used with 82,000 miles. The car now has 87,000 miles on it. The car will be driven appx 300-400 miles per week, ... mostly highway. I live in Salt Lake City,Utah, ... we have 90-100 degree summers and 20-30 degree winters, with some days into the single digits.

Thanks guys !!!!

Jamie

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Hmmmm, I was going to recommend the G052 A2 (Mineral-Based) that is now supposed to be in there, according to VW. Its about $9.50 a liter from 1stvwparts.com. That's what I used. You need 2 liters.

--Nate

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
I would not use anything mineral based if the climate gets below freezing. The MT-90 is synthetic but it might still be a little too thick for cold climates as well. I use Redline's MTL which is a bit thinner.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
What about the latest G055? A while back, I couldn't really get any info on this except it replaces G052.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I do admit that the G052 mineral-based oil gets thick in the winter. VW also claims that is what should be in my 02J tranny now. When the car was made in 04., I think a G050 Synthetic may hyave been specified.

I used Redline MT-90 in the '85 Jetta and it had a pretty nice cold weather (20 degrees F) feel. I was contemplating MTL (its a little thinner) in that car because the MT-90 was a hair too thick, I think. You can use both in temperate climates. Some folks mixed the MT-90 and MTL together, a quart of each, and used it.

--Nate