MAF diagnosis check

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
i'm a touch confused and i think i have multiple issues, so i wanted to check with all of you.
this tank i've gotten poor mileage, probably mid 30's, have to fill up to be sure. but last night the car hiccupped twice at startup and had low power.
fuel is under 1/4 tank (which i always do) i suspected bad fuel, especially today when she was sputtering and smoking badly, at startup. after a minute it finally evened out, but the CEL came on with a MAF code--signal too high.
looking at VCDS, actual is stuck at 550. boost still works, but revving at idle produces copious amounts of smoke. i checked the connection and cleaned the MAF, she started slightly easier, but same issues.
right now i think its a bad MAF, bad fuel, and possible an old fuel filter i plan on doing all 3 today. but the MAF is expensive and i wanted to be sure. any thoughts, or am i just being paranoid? lol
its a 2003 jetta alh.
thanks!!!

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Tried that, but at idle only, no change. the weird thing was that i never went into limp mode--boost was fine and normal (or at least close to normal, may have been a bit low)
BUT i just put the new MAF in and cleared the light. Power seems normal, light stays off, and most importantly, the actual/spcified values now both vary and match.
I also filled up, changed the fuel filter, and they didnt help, but were due anyway. Thanks!