LubeGard

Almir1

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Please, no crucifying. I posted this on the myturbodiesel.com website and was told "If I want to ruin my transmission, go right ahead and do it".

You've all probably heard of LubeGard. They make the ATF protectant, as well as the new DSG fluid and a few ATF fluids with low viscosity.

First time I used LubeGard Platinum was when I changed fluid in a 09G transmission in a 07 Rabbit that had over 110k miles. Still running like a champ, and I think a bit better (I used Dextron VI with 5oz of lubeGard).
Now I went on the website and saw a lot of things. For instance...

Disclaimer:

I did my 40k service with Liqu Molly and used idparts.com for their 40k service kit. I'd like to know if anyone would give me some feedback.

Also LubeGard has developed this as well:
http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/LG_Dual-Clutch-Transmission-Fluid_toprint.pdf

Thanks Everyone

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
You've already got "some feedback" from a respected forum.

Why not just look into a mirror and repeat what you said in your 2nd sentence?

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Please, no crucifying. I posted this on the myturbodiesel.com website and was told "If I want to ruin my transmission, go right ahead and do it".
You've all probably heard of LubeGard. They make the ATF protectant, as well as the new DSG fluid and a few ATF fluids with low viscosity.
First time I used LubeGard Platinum was when I changed fluid in a 09G transmission in a 07 Rabbit that had over 110k miles. Still running like a champ, and I think a bit better (I used Dextron VI with 5oz of lubeGard).
Now I went on the website and saw a lot of things. For instance...

Disclaimer:
I did my 40k service with Liqu Molly and used idparts.com for their 40k service kit. I'd like to know if anyone would give me some feedback.
Also LubeGard has developed this as well:
http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/LG_Dual-Clutch-Transmission-Fluid_toprint.pdf
Thanks Everyone
First off let me say, good call on the idparts kit with the correct fluid. I stand by my "If you want to ruin your transmission in a matter of minutes, use that" comment as you were asking us if you could run ATF in your DSG. That's still a big NO.

I dunno why the hard-on for LubeGard, but your findings in the VW TL 052 182(A2) spec fluid that that company is making now seems like it would be just fine to use in your 02E. But Dexron VI no no no no a thousand times no.

You made the right decision in purchasing the kit with the LubroMoly fluid, VERY good call. I'm about to do a DSG service on someone's car with that exact kit. For my car I'll use the OEM fluid but that's just because I'm an OEM advocate with anything. The only difference between the LubroMoly and OEM VW DSG fluid is that the LubroMoly stinks to high heaven.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
First off let me say, good call on the idparts kit with the correct fluid. I stand by my "If you want to ruin your transmission in a matter of minutes, use that" comment as you were asking us if you could run ATF in your DSG. That's still a big NO.

I dunno why the hard-on for LubeGard, but your findings in the VW TL 052 182(A2) spec fluid that that company is making now seems like it would be just fine to use in your 02E. But Dexron VI no no no no a thousand times no.

You made the right decision in purchasing the kit with the LubroMoly fluid, VERY good call. I'm about to do a DSG service on someone's car with that exact kit. For my car I'll use the OEM fluid but that's just because I'm an OEM advocate with anything. The only difference between the LubroMoly and OEM VW DSG fluid is that the LubroMoly stinks to high heaven.
You also made the right decision posing the question about LubeGard both here and at MTD. Now, make the right decision and respect the collective knowledge and experience of both groups.

Almir1

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
You also made the right decision posing the question about LubeGard both here and at MTD. Now, make the right decision and respect the collective knowledge and experience of both groups.
I already did the DSG service on my car and went with VW Spec, but I also like to read and do research. The company has been making various chemical additives and modifiers for cars for years (well more of since oil from sperm whales has been outlawed)... And technically everything is a chemical, the OEM/Liqu Molly Fluid is a low viscosity fluid that the gear boxes are submerged in. Technically, water is also a chemical that is safe for drinking...etc etc. Being that it is synthetic fluid, it is made in a lab by those that have tested not only durability but also it's ability to protect components in the car. Same reason why G12+ or G13 is used in German cars, and not the stuff you find on the top shelf of a Wal Mart. If we all took what any car manufacturer for granted, we'd all be driving VW's for at least 500k miles with original transmissions and life time fill fluid.

My post on MTD wasn't a take away of "these blokes don't know anything I'll just go to TDIClub"... and this won't be a "People on these 2 forums have no clue what they're doing", it was a more of "Has anyone been in a tight spot where they couldn't find the VW spec and had to use this, and how did it work out for them" statement.
You're not kidding about the smell, I think one bottle filled up the garage with a very very weird smell...I have never smelled anything like that before.