lowering mk4

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Since when are manhole covers 6 inches off the ground? That's a public safety hazard. I don't even hit the parking stops. I have more than plenty of ground clearance and I will take pics to prove it. You don't know *** you're talking about. PERIOD!
With the exception of 4x4's, most people who modify their suspension LOWER their cars. Why? It handles better, it looks better and is FAR from rice. People have been lowering their cars for over 7 DECADES.. long before "rice" was used to describe Japanese imports.
Look at the suspension companies. Eibach, Koni, Bilstein just to name a few... they lower cars because it looks good and performs. When VW, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, BMW, Nissan offer "sport suspension", what do they do? They LOWER the car. Millions of people are not wrong. YOU ARE WRONG!
You FAIL ON MANY LEVELS!
GTFO of lowering posts and crawl back in your hole. Go troll somewhere else.

I guess you didn't see the thread on vortex that a guy with his slammed MK4 2 door Golf got totaled it because he hit a manhole cover that was 2in off the ground. Took out the subframe and blew out the airbags. Could have killed him. Car went to the junkyard.

It handles better lower??? ROFL! I guess you don't realize that a MK4 is actually faster on the track lifted because the suspension can work better.

I am a troll? I think I am just pointing out the reality of lowing your car.

I think YOU are the one who refuses to realise the realitiy and is living in your own little world. :rolleyes:

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I guess you didn't see the thread on vortex that a guy with his slammed MK4 2 door Golf got totaled it because he hit a manhole cover that was 2in off the ground. Took out the subframe and blew out the airbags. Could have killed him. Car went to the junkyard.

It handles better lower??? ROFL! I guess you don't realize that a MK4 is actually faster on the track lifted because the suspension can work better.

I am a troll? I think I am just pointing out the reality of lowing your car.
I think YOU are the one who refuses to realise the realitiy and is living in your own little world. :rolleyes:
I guess you can't read either. Neither of us said "slammed" and a 1" drop doesn't qualify as slammed. That sucks for the vortex guy but none of us are contemplating ground clearance of less than 2". READING HELPS!!!

Yes, it's handles better! Raising may make it faster on the track but the fact remains that lowering a car does indeed make it handle better from the factory specs. Is that too hard to comprehend?

You are a troll because the OP was asking a question about lowering, not lifting or the pros/cons about lowering. He wasn't even on the fence about lowering, he's going to do it. It doesn't even help the OP with his question. Your posts have no purpose other than to sh!t on his thread... and every other thread about lowering. It's useless and pointless. So in that respect, yes, you're a troll.

YOU FAIL AGAIN!!!

Here are the pics of my car. Slammed? No way. Looks better.. oh yeah! Rice... not even close.

Joshua

TDI
ALH
which brand is best:
Vogtland
Eibach
Apex
I have found a set of each, the Eibach's are NIB, the other ones are used

I've never heard anything bad about any of those brands from anyone that has actually used them. Add to that list h&r and neuspeed. Also, the suggestion regarding the raceland ultimos is something to consider as an inexpensive way to replace your springs and get new dampeners as well (and ride height adjustability).

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Got Bearings, you can lower your car, I won't try to stop you. However, your misinformation is rampant as are your unprovoked shots at turbocharged798.

The 15ft leading to my new shop is so rough that no lowered vehicles will be able to get to my driveway. Thank god! You "lower it" folks are always full of attitude and lip. Good luck.

manual_tranny

TDI
Got Bearings, you can lower your car, I won't try to stop you. However, your misinformation is rampant as are your unprovoked shots at turbocharged798.

The 15ft leading to my new shop is so rough that no lowered vehicles will be able to get to my driveway. Thank god! You "lower it" folks are always full of attitude and lip. Good luck.
Quoted for emphasis!!

Joshua

TDI
ALH
it appears this is a hot issue. i was only thinking of lowering 1.5". what else do i need besides springs?

Depending on the age of your suspension components, you may want to go ahead and get new shocks and struts, especially because the lower working height will accelerate the wear on stock components, and if they're already almost gone you will be doing the install all over again. Hence my suggestion to look into a coilover setup (or possibly a cup kit if you dont care about adjustability).

You should go ahead and change the upper strut mounts and bearings while you are changing the springs, regardless of what you do with the struts. The mounts and mount bearings are cheap and you don't want to do all that work just to have to do it again sooner than later.

Last edited:

manual_tranny

TDI
^ the irony is better that you don't understand it
Troll much? :rolleyes:

The fact is, steering geometry is effected by ride height. Y'all lowering advocates have probably read about the Audi TT componenets, yet you rarely seem to mention them. Many of these components will improve handling with or without lowering, and are better advice.

Thanks to Scubagli for mentioning these in the last lowering MK4 disaster thread: (Audi TT spindles) http://www.h2sport.com/products.php?productid=203 I believe that I read that Audi TT LCAs can also be used with some work, and can also improve handling in a lowered MK4. These go hand in hand with lowering.. I would not install them on a car unless I were lowering it.

If you leave your MK4 LCAs and spindles in place while you lower the car, you have made a compromise. You have gained: stiffer ride, lower center of gravity. You have given up: effective steering geometry.

One more "fun fact": lowering a MK4 puts the axles in peril. Those who have raced in lowered vehicles have come back to the tdiclub to tell us about their broken axles at the race track. It seems to happen most when you are mid-turn and strongly on the throttle. One thing is certain: a car will not be faster if it's got a broken axle! :D

What should we get if we really want to go fast? Audi TT LCA bushings, Audi TT subframe bushings, TT roadster brace on the subframe, Neuspeed strut brace, sticky (expensive) tires on 17" wheels.

Got all that already? Now you throw on some Audi TT spindles and lower effectively.

Last edited:

manual_tranny

TDI
TuscTDI, good link! I didn't see it before I posted.

For the record folks, I own two vehicles lower than the MK4 pictures posted in this thread. One of them is a go-kart, the other is an RX-7. I'm not against discussing a certain ride height, I'm against the petty personal attacks and misinformation that seems to be dragged along for the ride.

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Troll much? :rolleyes:
oh, the irony gets better.

once again, a lowering thread dumbed down by people like you. you don't like the idea? go to another thread. i am anything but a troll on this forum and do not need you to throw insults because i do not agree with your pre-determined prejudice.

manual_tranny

TDI
Since I'm too "stupid" to understand what I've done wrong, would you please clarify?

I'm quite sure that I have not insulted, disrupted, or de-railed this thread.

Did I "dumb-down" your thread by pointing out steering geomety reality?

Last edited:

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
I have commented on my expiriences in lowering my car a few times but will do so again here.

I have the Eibach/Koni FSD setup. I also have 3 sets of rims/tires. 15" 16" and 17".

I was pretty much happy with the setup on all 3 rim sizes but the 17" rims are dicy at best to run on poor roads and it is a matter of when, not if you will bend a rim.

The car does handle like a roller skate, but with reduced suspension travel it is more unpredictable hammering it around twisties. However when it was stock it porpoised quite a bit.

I would honestly it is kind of an even trade. It does look very sporty and aggressive dropped but this has cons as well.

As I now have side skirts and a Otteniger lip spoiler jacking is now a serious issue. I have had to make a set of wooden progressive ramps to jack car and now must carry them in the trunk at all times.

In hindsight, my opinion is DO NOT drop the car lower than what a stock GLI is and do not install any side-skirts if you want to easily service your car. I am seriously considering finding a set of used GLI springs and ditching the Eibachs to gain a bit of height and also ditching the side-skirts.

If you do insist on dropping buy a skid plate, if your running 17" rims or larger make sure you buy at minimum 5 rims/tires. If your considering running 18" inch rims stop considering it.........LoL Make EXTRA SURE you have everything you need in your trunk to fix flats etc. Make peace with bottoming out your skid pan, front lip and exhaust pipe in many, many instances. Aprons for many driveways and entrances to parking lots that once seemed doable will not be any longer once dropped.

Most importantly- Men buy for sport, women buy for looks:eek:

giantsaam

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Since I'm too "stupid" to understand what I've done wrong, would you please clarify?

I'm quite sure that I have not insulted, disrupted, or de-railed this thread.

Did I "dumb-down" your thread by pointing out steering geomety reality?
I have a question for you and no I'm not for lowered or raised cars for that matter. If the axle path on both the lowered and stock ride heights stay the same since you are not replacing control arms, how could it change steering geometry? So if the OP did his research and bought springs with a spring rate that was the same progression as stock springs at 1" of compression wouldn't the end stroke of compression be almost identical while cornering hard. I am just wondering these things because I rebuild suspension for other aplications and if the OP is not replacing the linkage that it should not negatively affect the ride except for ride comfort and small bump absorbtion.

zuks90idi

Veteran Member
TDI
07 Dodge, 01 B5.5, 99.5 mk4 ALH, 04 Tourage
I got lost reading all that so I'm not to sure what the OP actually decided to do with his car..

In any case, I have gone both ways with my mk4 Golf. Originally lowered with Raceland Coilovers. Ride was very stuff, not horrible but needs to be mentioned. After months of lowered cruising it started to snow so I went the other way and lifted it with a DIY lift kit using like parts of the Metalnerd kit.

I like driving it lifted way more than lowered however, getting a GOOD set of springs/ struts make a huge difference when lowering.

Personally I'll be lowering mine again for summer driving but this time I'll be using a Weitec Cup kit probably a 60/40.
The experience I have had with Weitec is awesome, the ride is superb, not bouncy and not harsh at all. Raceland= nope not again.
Go here
http://www.rapidparts.com/subcat/Spring-Dampener-Kits/18/1/

Oh ya, I do not run a skid plate, gamble some say but I've been driving lowered cars for well over 15 years and have yet to damage one.

zuks90idi

Veteran Member
TDI
07 Dodge, 01 B5.5, 99.5 mk4 ALH, 04 Tourage
I think that is a good decision.

After-all it is YOUR car :)

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I have a question for you and no I'm not for lowered or raised cars for that matter. If the axle path on both the lowered and stock ride heights stay the same since you are not replacing control arms, how could it change steering geometry? So if the OP did his research and bought springs with a spring rate that was the same progression as stock springs at 1" of compression wouldn't the end stroke of compression be almost identical while cornering hard. I am just wondering these things because I rebuild suspension for other aplications and if the OP is not replacing the linkage that it should not negatively affect the ride except for ride comfort and small bump absorbtion.
i was wondering the same. the GLI has 1" lower and stiffer springs, i know many that just add these and a sway bar to stop the oem body roll

to the OP - good choice

manual_tranny

TDI

tuscTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Indigo Golf GLS, 1997 E300
they're intended for increasing performance on what I would consider a dedicated track car. most products like that, ie. replace bushings with aluminum, are designed with only that in mind.

:edit:
those lca's from h2sport with the spherical bearings instead of bushings do sound like a neat idea though

Last edited:

FlashT

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB - sold
I think that if these inserts were installed into a properly machined subframe and the bolts were torqued to spec, then there should be no bending. And since the mounts are solid, there should be zero deflection. The only way that i could see these bending is if they were installed in a subframe that had such an amount of metal removed that there was play in the subframe. So if the subframe is machined right, then there should be nothing to worry about!:)

I'm definately going to buy a set BTW.

FlashT

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB - sold
I'm going to get my current subframe machined when I install the new sway bar, since i'll be dropping it anyway.