Low RPM - three part solution.

revkev73

TDI
2002 vw golf
Hello folks. A blessed New Year.

I want to put a conclusion to an earlier thread about my 2002 Golf TDI and the "governor" feel that cut it off at about 3,000 RPM in all gears.

Jason TDI of Madison, Wi. worked on it and made the fixes. Three problems were discovered and cured.

1) The timing belt, rollers, pump, etc. were replaced. It had jumped timing one cog and then two and was running poorly as a result. (161,000 miles) DieselGeek (overnight) provided the package of parts.

2) Two cracks in a vacuum hose were also discovered. A new hose purchased from VW was installed. That leak had cut back performance as well.

3) A clogged intake was the last problem. Following the solution of the two above RPMs were higher but still limited. Jason had guessed a clog further down into the manifold. This was replaced yesterday. I have included the URL (below) if anyone wants to look at the picture.

It was snowing hard in Wisconsin so I had to crawl back home at partial speed but the Golf really wanted to run again. When Jason first got in the car for a test ride following the manifold fix he said, "Oh, yah, that's different."

The last tank of fuel while the manifold was still plugged was 39.5 MPG with a combination of hwy and city, so I am expecting some improvement now that the Golf can get some air.

My wife loves the Golf and is hoping to drive it to 500,000. One advantage she has is driving it for about 35 miles to work each time she gets in, allowing the car to warm up properly.

Thanks to everyone on the forum. It is very interesting even for a non-mechanic. For the record, I took this Golf to the dealer, with symptoms of low RPMs a few months ago and they said "there were no problems." Obviously there were so I started looking for some TDI help on the internet, which brought me here and to Jason TDI, about a 2 1/2 hour drive away.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/kevinho73/?action=view&current=1228071312.jpg

Peace! RevKev73.

BugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle TDI, 2005 New Beetle
Another example of stealer incompetence. Great news that you got it fixed! BTW welcome to the TDI Club:)

revkev73

TDI
2002 vw golf
Thanks BugBug. It seems like a nice group of people. We have had the TDI for 6 years now, buying it new in 2001. Nice to have found a forum like this and also a list of trusted mechanics who are honest, know what they are doing and love the TDI.

In defense of the dealer, I think they sold few TDIs to begin with in this area.

The amount of clogging in the intake amazed me and even a non-mechanic can see how difficult it is for a TDI to run well with such diesel asthma.