Low Oil Pressure - BEW

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
Low Oil Pressure - BEW
2004 Jetta BEW with 218K miles. Fresh oil change with filter. I verified oil pressure with an HF oil pressure gauge. 10 psi at hot idle & 20 psi hot at 2000 rpm. Oil light comes on when hot only at idle and especially sharp turns, hoping for a pickup tube problem. ???

GKG

TDI
2001 TDI ALH
Low Oil Pressure - BEW
2004 Jetta BEW with 218K miles. Fresh oil change with filter. I verified oil pressure with an HF oil pressure gauge. 10 psi at hot idle & 20 psi hot at 2000 rpm. Oil light comes on when hot only at idle and especially sharp turns, hoping for a pickup tube problem. ???

GKG

TDI
2001 TDI ALH
I had exactly the same experience on my '01 ALH. Turned out to be a bad oil pressure sender. Note that many of the parts vendors have the part number wrong for this, and will claim the gas oil pressure sensor W
works in a TDI which it does not. Even Kermit T D I had this error. I replaced the wrong part twice before getting the correct oil pressure sender which solved the whole problem. The correct part number for the knock off his rp501 10001 oil pressure switch, AW1120, made in China. The plastic connector portion is brown, not black or another color.

The only other time I've had an oil light is using ow-30 in the hot summer crawling through Atlanta. Switching to 0w 40 fixed this problem.

GKG

TDI
2001 TDI ALH
Low Oil Pressure - BEW
Here is the part in a testimonial confirming fitment from carparts.com:

EXACTLY THE RIGHT OP SENSOR FOR MY TDI.

I looked all over the web for the correct oil pressure sensor for the 2001 VW TDI engine. After ordering 3 wrong parts claimed to be "exact fit", I came acros this switch from CarParts.com. The wrong switches have a pressure setpoint for the gas engine, totally wrong for diesel and sets the red oil light on. This BROWN switch from CarParts.com is EXACTLY THE RIGHT OP SENSOR FOR MY TDI.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
I did replace the oil pressure sensor already. Thanks for your help

GKG

TDI
2001 TDI ALH
Understood. Just pointing out that the pressure sensor for the gas engine shows just this behavior in the TDI, and that they are hard to distinguish from part descriptions. The sensor is normally closed, so the light goes off as oil pressure builds. Set point for gas sensor is different.

If not the sensor:

Possible causes :

partially clogged (sludge) oil pick-up tube/strainer

stuck-open oil pressure relief valve (part of oil pump)

worn oil pump

worn crankshaft, connecting rod, or camshaft bearings

worn balance shaft bearings ( somewhat common on earlier EA888 engines)
wrong viscosity oil

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
BEW don't have the balance shaft. Other things listed are a possibility. When did this issue start? After fresh oil change? Bought it that way?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Well....the bearings *CAN be replaced without pulling the engine. Takes a bit of special, shell manipulating tools. The oil pump can also be replaced along with the pickup. If you find the chain needs replaced, you are into timing components and the front seal.

Having confirmed it is indeed oil pressure, and not the sensor, I'd be tempted to try an oil pump and pick up replacement. if that is not it, main bearings( might as well go after the rods too whilst in there ).
cheers,
Douglas

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
It started a couple of weeks ago with daily temps high 80s - mid-90s. Replaced large cooling fan and daily temps dropped into the 70s no more intermittent. HIgher daily temps returned so did the oil light after the engine gets Hot

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What oil are you using? Almost sounds like it's too thin. I'd avoid driving it regularly until you sort it out, or you could score bearings.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
Liqui Moly 5w40 Top Tec 4100. It's parked until the pickup tube and pump are installed.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Cause IDK- Does the BEW have a low oil level sensor and does it use the same light as the oil pressure?

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
We removed the oil pan and pickup tube today. We found small chunks of metal in the pan and in the pickup tube. I Will post pictures shortly.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Chunks seem too large for turbo bearing. I'd start checking other things.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
Our plan is to install a new pickup tube and oil pump tomorrow. We are also doing an engine flush to hopefully flush out any and all debris remaining. Thoughts?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think you should investigate a little further. Would suck to put the pan up only to pull it back down.
You could disassemble the old pump, see if it's worn, and see if the pressure regulator spring is broken.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
We replaced Oi Pump and Pickup Tube. Pressure checked with a gauge cold engine. Idle 40psi and 75psi at 2500rpm. After driving for 2 hours the same issue came back. " Oil light comes on when hot only at idle and especially sharp turns "

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What are your pressures when hot?

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
Pressures hot at idle 10psi. 1500 rpm is 15psi. 2000 rpm is 19psi. We used T piping to run the oil pressure gauge and factory oil pressure switch together. Oil light came on often at 1500 rpm and psi was 15.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Copied spec from a reliable source.
Minimum oil pressure with warm engine should be about 2bar (29 psi) min at 2000 rpm , 80 °C (176 F). The not to exceed limit is 7 bar (102 psi).
Either your regulator is weak or you have bad bearings somewhere.
I think the pump has a pressure relief valve, it's just a safety override if pressure exceeds 170psi, otherwise it stays shut.
In the filter housing there's another one that opens at 60psi, but since you had garbage in your oil, it may be stuck open. Just a thought. According to the Bentley manual, the one in the filter housing isn't serviceable, you have to replace the housing.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Low Oil Pressure - BEW
My '04 bew is 12 psi / 35 psi - at hot temp. Was the change sudden or gradual? Is the pump original maybe worn? +1 on #7 post for causes

Agree with Nero chunks look big for turbo bearing particles.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
Copied spec from a reliable source.
Minimum oil pressure with warm engine should be about 2bar (29 psi) min at 2000 rpm , 80 °C (176 F). The not to exceed limit is 7 bar (102 psi).
Either your regulator is weak or you have bad bearings somewhere.
I think the pump has a pressure relief valve, it's just a safety override if pressure exceeds 170psi, otherwise it stays shut.
In the filter housing there's another one that opens at 60psi, but since you had garbage in your oil, it may be stuck open. Just a thought. According to the Bentley manual, the one in the filter housing isn't serviceable, you have to replace the housing.
I have replaced the oil pump, Oil pickup tube, and oil filter housing.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
My '04 bew is 12 psi / 35 psi - at hot temp. Was the change sudden or gradual? Is the pump original maybe worn? +1 on #7 post for causes

Agree with Nero chunks look big for turbo bearing particles.
The change was sudden. I have replaced the oil pump, oil pickup tube, and oil filter housing.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With all of those changed, there isn't much left... Rod/main bearings, cam followers.... When you had the pan off, did you check the mains or rod bearings?

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I suppose it's possible for a catystrophic turbo failure to put bigger pieces of metal like that into the oil. Was there ever a good engine flushing done at that time? Kind of looks like some remaining bits may have caused enough damage. Only takes one or two badly damaged bearings to drop the oil pressure.