Loud rattle in 2,3,4,5th gear at 1800-2600 rpm

josh higbee

TDI
03 Jetta 1.9L TDI 5spd
So this recently started happening. I have a 2003 tdi 5spd and if you rev in neutral there’s no abnormal sound, if you flood it in first you can very faintly hear the sound, second gear you can still hear it faintly, but in 3rd 4th or 5th it’s REALLY obvious. The sound is hard to explain, kind of sounds like a fast slapping sound, does sound pretty close to what an engine knock would sound like. Took a look at everything and can’t see anything obvious. No smoke from tailpipes either. It follows rpm’s but seems to get to fast to notice above 3k rpm’s. Happens between around 1800-2600rpms. Any help would be appreciated

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
If once to speed or in any gear you let off for a second then nicely reapply or keep that speed does it go away? In other words is it just under acceleration?
Have you ever changed your trans oil?

josh higbee

TDI
03 Jetta 1.9L TDI 5spd
If once to speed or in any gear you let off for a second then nicely reapply or keep that speed does it go away? In other words is it just under acceleration?
Have you ever changed your trans oil?
Tn I was messing around and tried tightening one of the injector holders and it felt TIGHT but I turned it half a turn more (was afraid it would strip but it didn’t) and I went to drive it and the sound was almost completely gone. It was loud enough to hear with the windows up but now even with the windows down it’s hard to hear.