Lost power and mpg. What's wrong???

jim'sgolf

TDI
2005 golf
05 golf 260k miles. The only items changed since new are wp and tb and lift pump. 0-60 16.5 seconds. (pretty slow) mileage went from 38 to 30. When I accelerate to get on interstate the engine goes to 4200 rpm (auto trans) but does pick up speed like it use to. In fact, if I let shift to the next gear it will go a little faster. Could it be the intake or egr??

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I would check to see that your intake/egr is clean and that your MAF sensor is clean.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Take a look at the thread below! You want to be able to disconnect the hose that goes from the EGR valve to the intercooler!
At the last GTG I hosted there was an EGR so clogged up that a pencil would have barely made its way in there!

Start with the easiest things first - I would clean the MAF Sensor with some product such as this one or 100% alcohol as some have used in the past.

Also, is your air intake system clean? Is the snowscreen on the snorkle clean and free of debris?

How about your fuel filter?

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/Sballintake/INTAKEMAN101b.htm

jim'sgolf

TDI
2005 golf
The filter has about 20k on it. I will change that. I have a k&n air filter. That's been cleaned. The MAF tripped a CEL about 30k ago I cleaned it. I will check the intake. Also, when I changed the tb I noticed alot of oil in the intake hose from the turbo. Thanks

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Our BEW's don't have the intake clogging like the ALH's, so I would rule that out for now. How much oil did you remove from the intake hose? Was there a pint or more in the IC? If so, I would suspect a failing turbo. Our Borg Warner's do not have as long a life expectancy as the Garrett's. Also, the MAF's should not be cleaned and the K&N filters are not compatible to the MAF's, but there are some who would debate that.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Our BEW's don't have the intake clogging like the ALH's, so I would rule that out for now. How much oil did you remove from the intake hose? Was there a pint or more in the IC? If so, I would suspect a failing turbo. Our Borg Warner's do not have as long a life expectancy as the Garrett's. Also, the MAF's should not be cleaned and the K&N filters are not compatible to the MAF's, but there are some who would debate that.
I did not pay attention to the year model, my bad! :eek:

jim'sgolf

TDI
2005 golf
I did not take the cooler out, but the lower hose was just very oily and oil keeps getting by the o ring that is located in the connection between the last rubber hose and intake. In your opinion would you change back to own filter and change the MAF?

jim'sgolf

TDI
2005 golf
I'm not sure on the cam. I was told (by a guy selling cams) that own cams where good for 200k. How do I check it?