Lost my TDI in a crash "II"

JLKunka

TDI
'99.5 Jetta - parts car, '99.5 Jetta - black, '02 Jetta - silver, '13 Jetta DSG - black
It's Deja Vu all over again...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=246264

Was also hit from behind in my '99.5 Jetta. I bought the wreck because I just put in PP520s, glow plugs, etc. I plan to pull all TDI items and store them while I shop for a replacement. Question is, since the engine/trans will be coming out, what would YOU do if you had easy access to everything on a 180,000 mi motor?

Things I'm doing for sure:
  • timing belt (boy this will be easy now!)
  • intake cleaning
  • new clutch
  • 5th gear swap
Should I dig deeper, like remove head, valve job, hone cylinders, etc.? Consider bang for the buck, and what's really necessary on a decent-running engine.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Exhaust and turbo! Remove the bolts and put in new ones with anti-sieze. Break off a bolt now and it's easy access to repair. Break one off when the engine is back in a bay and it won't be so easy.
Anything else that was low priority, that nagging drip, the hose that's starting to fray, do those now. I'd not bother with internals unless you have reason to suspect that they are not going to make the distance.

JLKunka

TDI
'99.5 Jetta - parts car, '99.5 Jetta - black, '02 Jetta - silver, '13 Jetta DSG - black
Lug_Nut said:
Exhaust and turbo! Remove the bolts and put in new ones with anti-sieze. Break off a bolt now and it's easy access to repair. Break one off when the engine is back in a bay and it won't be so easy.
Anything else that was low priority, that nagging drip, the hose that's starting to fray, do those now. I'd not bother with internals unless you have reason to suspect that they are not going to make the distance.
Good suggestions! Was also considering pulling the head to check cylinder and valve condition - it would be easy access for head cleaning!

Anyone ever tackle putting new syncros in a 5 spd? Can you even get them?