Lost my speedo/odo yesterday

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hi B4 folks,

I was out on my 97 passat sedan, and the speedometer called it quits while out on the hiway... all other gauges are working. where does the speedo get its input from... may its the culprit?

thanks in advance for your thoughts!

regards,
Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Had the same issue. There are a few things that cause this.
Buy the oem part for the speed sensor on the transmission. It's an easy part to change.
What I suggest you do first is see if it starts working sometimes off and on. If so, it's an electrical issue. I spent 10 shop hours trying to trace the issue. Ended up finding out from some hidden posts that the issue is the fuse block cluster under the dash. It can be pulled down easily and reach around and wiggle and push every fitting and connection in the rear of it . It's a pita but that was the issue for me and many others. A simple wire clip had worked it's way out enough but not enough to see the issue directly. Some have reported that it came out but eh. All the wires on your trans can be traced back to the ECU directly.
It's one of those 2 issues or a trans that is shredding its self. But you will get a code for a shift solenoid failure if that happens. I got that code as well and turned out to be the black/purple wire from the trans harness had broken.
Hope's this helps.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have a spare transmission speed sensor if you need one. I just scrapped 3 transmissions and two were still OK. They are plastic but do tend to last a long time. I would start there and look for chafed wires, but do you have another cluster to try? They are known to go bad from time to time.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
See if your cruise control still works. If it does, then your sensor is still good.

If the B4 wiring is same as the Jetta, then the VSS wires are located above the interior fuse/relay block, in a patch of blue wires all plugged into a blue junction block up near the alarm module. You can test the signal by turning Key On, then slowly rolling the car a few feet. A valid signal will alternate between 0v and 12v (or 5v?) 14 times per wheel revolution.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
The only way that the cluster goes bad is from stripped gears.
You can test that easy with vcds. Go though readiness and test the gauges. They will move.
If you do not have vcds. You can test the stripped gear by rotating the speed sensor while running on a lift. Take the bolt off and rotate it a bit. This will move the needle a bit. But only if the wireing and the part is good.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
^^^What....?

Clusters go bad from bad boards, bad caps, bad Elmos chips, bad stepper motors, etc.. I’ve experienced this with clusters from Passats and Jettas, and currently have clusters in need of boards.

Unfortunately, our “go to” guy has stepped down and nobody has replaced him, yet.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Test with vcds. You can move it with that or by moving the speed sensor. That will tell you if the cluster is the issue or not. Most of the time, its not

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lol. I see. Well..... I used to want to change the world, but now I just want to leave the room with some dignity.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
hi All,

Happy new year! (well, living here in DC area... I'll just be thankful I'm alive and still fixin' stuff!)

I have not played with THIS cars speed sensor yet... too many higher priorities, ( like my other vehicle... Sunny my 1Z-powered syncro Westy)) but I promise I'll update folks with what it was when I do get around to it!

The issue Sunny is having is similar, but I'll ask about that in a separate thread.

thanks again for al the ideas!

Regards,
Steve

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
hi All,

Happy new year! (well, living here in DC area... I'll just be thankful I'm alive and still fixin' stuff!)

I have not played with THIS cars speed sensor yet... too many higher priorities, ( like my other vehicle... Sunny my 1Z-powered syncro Westy)) but I promise I'll update folks with what it was when I do get around to it!

The issue Sunny is having is similar, but I'll ask about that in a separate thread.

thanks again for al the ideas!

Regards,
Steve
Any word on this issue yet?