Lost 5th gear 2003 Jetta...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hi folks, couple questions. Son was driving on interstate yesterday when car redlined and lost 5th gear. Drove it home in 4th. I took it for a spin later in day-1-4 shift fine,no noises- put it in 5th, light whirring noise/grinding kind of noise.Got home, jacked it up and put it in 5th-wheel turns, no resistance. I watched CoolAirVW's video on Youtube about 5th gear replacement, but have couple questions. My son is using car cuz his truck is in shop getting fixed, so needs car to get back/forth to work. I plan on draining tranny oil today to see if any metal parts are in it, and I'd like to take the side cover off to see if it's a gear or the spline. Can I re-use the 5th gear cover gasket if I take cover off? If not, can I use a gasket maker to seal it temporarily? Depending on what failed, is it ok to keep driving for now up to 4th gear? Car has 451k on it now, probably just stick with stock 5th, as it really doesn't get driven on interstates much.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
As long as the rubber gasket isn’t damaged, then yes you can re-use it.

Btw. Sounds like 5th gear is toast. You’ll need a T-50 ( I believe) and a gear puller to remove then.
Heat is your friend when removing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WashMachine

TDI
VW Golf MKIV 1.9 AHF
Maybe you could try adjusting cables before pulling apart ? mine does it sometimes because i have a torn bushing on the selector...

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Sounds like 5th is toast, but pull and look.
A newer low mileage trans is cheaper...
Ask me how I know...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
If gasket is in good shape, then it’s no problem reusing as stated above, I’ve actually opened my side cover 2-3 time including when I changed the 5th gear to change ratios. Not a bad job and no leaks after multiple opening either.

06 Golf 5MT, BEW, Kerma tune, Catectomy, Bypass oil filter system

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well,the good news is there was no metal in the gearbox fluid. The bad news is the spline shaft inside the rear small sprocket for 5th gear just spins inside sprocket. Took the bolt out of the sprocket and the sprocket wiggles and it'd probably fall off if the large sprocket was off. So it's gonna be a 4 speed for awhile. I have videos on my iPhone but don't know how to upload them here so you can see what I'm talking about. Probably best bet is try to locate a used tranny, but I'll see what an estimate will run from a shop before I do anything.....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are the sprockets a cast metal? I was wondering if I could get someone to weld sprocket right to shaft, being that there is concave washer holding sprocket on....

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
It's a different type of metal, welcome could be possible.
I got my teams sent to me for $500ish from eBay via a salvage yard.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone know if there are any bearings on the output shaft going to the 5th gear? That was only concern the guy I talked to about welding it had. Probably could leave the gear oil in it while welding,then drain and put fresh oil in....

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Anyone know if there are any bearings on the output shaft going to the 5th gear? That was only concern the guy I talked to about welding it had. Probably could leave the gear oil in it while welding,then drain and put fresh oil in....

The big gear has plastic roller bearings inside of it

Make sure that gear is damn straight if your gonna weld it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk