Loss of Power/Boost Issue Question

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
So as I'm pulling though 2nd gear I notice its taking way longer than usual and I'm not going as fast as I should be, was rolling more coal than usual, felt super restricted almost like limp mode. 3rd gear was fine till I got to the higher rpms, felt/heard what I can describe as a sputter.. No check engine lights and car was "fine" this morning (all though I did baby it the whole ride to work)

Dirty EGR could cause less air, but why would it happen once and go away? Checked all visible hoses last night rather quickly, didn't see anything disconnected or broken..

2004 5 spd swapped, BSM deleted, 'stage 2' TDtuning, Whitbread SMF w/ Clutch Masters FX300

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
@zzdiesel Engine has ~225,000 miles. Camshaft was replaced 40,000 ago.. Just went to lunch, boosted fine.. Must not be an external issue right? If there was a leak, wouldnt it be there consistently?

Last edited:

Spring1898

Veteran Member
Do you feel it is more of a boost or fuel issue?
How long were you driving the car before the failed boost?
Last fuel filter change?

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
Do you feel it is more of a boost or fuel issue?
How long were you driving the car before the failed boost?
Last fuel filter change?
fuel filter was done 8k ago. Was driving the car for about an hour before it happened. I’m assuming the extra smoke out of the tailpipe indicates that it’s not a fuel issue but correct me if I’m wrong!

Spring1898

Veteran Member
I would agree, is the turbo original? Do you have good vacuum to the actuator, and does it move freely?
If it is intermittent I would just watch it for a while to find a pattern if there is one.