loss of power after HpFp replacement

RomanDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta SW 6M
Hello to all!
Today I managed to re-start my 2009 CBEA engine, after a HPFP failure (2nd time) and replacement. I primed as needed (2x10 minute of both pumps running) and I used some quick start spray to help.
When the engine started, I noted very rough idle and a lot of power missing. When I drive, the car shakes a lot. I drove more than 5 km, hoping that there is some air in the system and the symptoms will go away, but only little or no improvement. I used OBDeleven to scan and I share with you the codes:
1. Cylinder 4 Injection Timing
Fault code: P020D (525)
Frequency counter: 3
Measurements:
1564 U/min
25 km/h
20.8 %
Mileage: 352649 km
Driving cycle: 255
Priority: 2
2. Torque difference cylinder 4
Limit value exceeded
Fault code: P1007 (4103)
Frequency counter: 2
Measurements:
1725 U/min
27 km/h
24.7%
Mileage: 352649 km
3. Cyl.4
Misfire Detected
Fault code: P0304 (722)
Frequency counter: 1
Measurements:
805 U/min
0 km/h
10.4 mg/h
265 mg/h
Mileage: 352650 km
4. Cylinder 3 Injection Timing
Fault code: P020C (524)
Frequency counter: 1
Measurements:
2116 U/min
0 km/h
25.5 %
Mileage: 352650 km
Any ideas?
I did not change all system, only HPFP and good cleaning, as I did previous failure. At that previous failure, I had to change also the CR, because of faulty sensors on it.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Your injectors are probably toast.

C3156

Veteran Member
TDI
All sold
Your injectors are probably toast.
Or full of metal from the HPFP. You can usually find them on Ebay for about $125 each, way cheaper than the dealer. Just remember to write down the code for each injector and which position you put them in the car. You will need VCDS to correctly install the injectors.

Other things to look out for: CR sensors may be full of metal as well, and the aux pump may still have a bunch of metal in it.

Highly recommend you buy or borrow VCDS to get an accurate scan of the issues.

RomanDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta SW 6M
Thank you!
I had to drive the car to a mechanic with VCDS and he confirmed my codes, but only in cyl 4, the 3 seems to come back.
Going back home, I felt a jump (like when you start an engine by pushing or towing it); I later realized than the car run smoother... There is for sure more power than before, despite glow plug light blinking (LIMP?).
May be the injector is back in service, at least partially?
Guys, I miss so much the old style diesels ! (with IP and mechanical injectors)

Last edited:

RomanDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta SW 6M
Updates:
No more glow plug light blinking. No error codes found, no MIL.
Still some under-power, but no more vibrations, specially at idle.
Diesel injection specific noise is much louder when I press harder on gas pedal with low RPM.
I found 3 used Injectors today. Wish me good luck!
I had installed an in-line filter on the return line, before the car's fuel filter, so all possible metal particles going downstream towards the tank were stuck inside.
What is the normal value for the pressure inside CR?

Last edited:

RomanDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta SW 6M
There is a return line from injectors and another one from HPFP. They merge together in a metal line, close and almost on top of CR. From there, going to fuel filter is a rubber line. Well, I cut that line and I put an in-line plastic diesel - friendly filter. There was no metal at all in the car's fuel filter, all get stuck in that cheap - installed by me - filter.

RomanDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta SW 6M
Updates

Today, coming home in a snow storm, my son driving and me as passenger, there was a glow plug intermittent light on and a message: engine fault: workshop.
Scan and get the code: P0403 (1027). Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit.
Cleared the code and 2 hour later car not starting anymore. Any ideas?

RomanDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta SW 6M
Today I did a check at dealership: all emission system parts must be replaced, 7000$ only in parts. The adviser told me is not worth. He said either to return the car in buy-back program, either go with all emission delete tuning. I don't know what to do...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
RomanDiesel: The 2009s will possibly be too expensive to retrofit hardware/software necessary to comply with (future) EPA emissions requirements. IF VW comes up with a hardware/ software fix, they'll need to replace virtually all of the emissions system anyway.
This is how I'm interpreting the situation. For this reason, in my opinion, given the extent of the mods necessary (if they are ever approved...don't hold your breath!), I wouldn't want to own a 2009 JSW. I foresee long-term reliability issues.
Others might see "great, totally new DPF, exhaust, newly-designed AdBlue system, etc. etc, an extended warranty on said parts."

There are those that are predicting that the 2009s will be forced to be bought back because of the expense of the above.

I would accept the buyback. I got $14.5k (American) for mine with 108k miles.

RomanDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta SW 6M
tdiatlast:
Thank you very much for your thoughts!
I also foresee a (more or less) forced buy-back, as per reasons that you mention, plus: those cars are old and have high mileage, why to (so-expensive) fix such a car? I suspect VW not willing to work toward a such fix, and I can't blame them for...
I don't know what to do!!! I'm in a bad-finance period in my life. In Canada, most likely, VW will offer 2900 CAD for my car, if the settlement gets approved. With that, I can't buy any equivalent car. At least, mine is like new at the interior and high-line trim (leather, panoramic roof...). I was thinking about EGR/DPF delete, as we don't have emission testing here. The car is now parked and I'm not using it, waiting for 28th of march, the day of audience in the Quebec court. I agree with you, any fix will actually add problems... And the car was not so reliable from the beginning.

Last edited: