Losing coolant?

dustingebhardt

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI (sold)
I have a '10 JSW TDI 6M with 74,000 miles. I've noticed over the past year that the orange engine coolant level seemed to be dropping, and then last week the alert showed up on the dash. I topped it off with new 50/50, but now I'm a bit concerned that I may have a head gasket leak or something else similar. I cannot see any obvious leak, neither from above the engine bay nor from below.

Any thoughts?

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Same thing here with our similar model. I reported it at its 10, 20 and 30K Mile checks, but they could find nothing. I removed the belly pan and couldn't find anything either. We have 41K on it now.

Ours has lost coolant from the beginning, but loss rate may have slowed somewhat to perhaps 1 Cup/Year, but it's hard to estimate because of the globe-shaped container. The coolant is not discolored, nor does the dipstick show any alarming goo.

My worries match yours and this has been our sole recurring problem with this car. Head gasket leaks are bad news. Some owners have found leaky water pumps, fan blades that have cut the radiator, minute radiator leaks and others suspect a leak in the oil cooler. If you crack this case, let us know. Good luck and thank you.

Rbet

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 2dr DSG
I've had a similar issue with my 2011 Golf, reported at the 10, 20, and 30k services. My dealership also cannot find the source of the leak.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dustingebhardt

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI (sold)
Looking up the procedure to replace the water pump seems like a PITA. I'd be replacing the timing belt and probably a couple of the rollers, too. I may crack open the cover, once the weather warms up a bit. ;)

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
if you have only added some once in 74,000 miles I would consider that normal. all your hoses are 3 years old now and have swelled a little with age and the res bottle isn't very big so even just 8 or 12 oz would be noticeable. I had to add about that much to mine last year, but none since. I have same year and mileage as you. If you have to add some every oil change then I would start digging further. but a cup or so every 10,000 miles is not going to show much trace to find.

Last edited: