Little Pittsburgh Clan

Emily

TDI
2003 Jetta Station Wagon
My son broke off the balance knob on my stereo in my 2003 TDI station wagon. Does anyone have an extra they'd be willing to sell me or know where I could track one down? Thanks.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
newzboys here which is AArodriguez has some radio knobs. I've never needed one so I didn't pay attention to what all he offers.

joshattack

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf auto
My car needs some work with a startup issue that I've been trying to resolve. I started a thread in the MKIV discussion to help me diagnose it, but so far no luck at all. It smokes really bad at start up in the AM, and goes away only when the car is fully up to temp.

I don't know what else I can do, any recommendations for someone/shop to help me diagnose this and fix it? Or any locals in or around PGH want to check it out/give me tips?

Here's the thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=388082

D

dlm308rem

Hey all,

I am from the South Eastern region of this website and I have a friend in State College Pa in desperate need of some help. He has an 06 tdi that started blowing white smoke bad, took it to the dealer in State College PA and they said the motor is "BURNT". Any recommendations to a good mechanic in that area would be greatly appreciate.

Dan
336-577-8150

Last edited:

Emily

TDI
2003 Jetta Station Wagon
I highly recommend Jamie Jenkins at German Auto Outfitters in Beallsville (near Washington, PA). - 724-267-3555.

mckpat03

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
Washington, PA is waaaayyy far away. I'm in Lewistown, just 30 minutes down 322 from State College. I know the best techs in the area. I don't know any in State College, specifically, unfortunately. So really, that still doesn't help, I guess, unless they're willing to tow the car 30 miles.

I wouldn't be afraid to have the work done at the dealer in State College, though, in all honesty. I imagine they're pretty good. It would probably be the best and easiest thing to do. I can't speak on their labor rate, though. Do you know what dealer it's at? I'm guessing State College Motors?

mckpat03

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
^Oops, my bad.

Dan (dlm308rem), I spoke with my buddy here in town, and they'd be more than happy to help. They could even send a rollback over to State College to pick the car up to bring it back to their shop. It's one of the best shops in central PA.

joshattack

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf auto
Does anyone around here have a vag-com I could use to adjust my IQ? the lite version I have won't let me save any of the new settings. I pm'd some people from the map, but there isn't a whole lot around here. I'm in the east end of the city but can travel anywhere.

D

dlm308rem

^Oops, my bad.

Dan (dlm308rem), I spoke with my buddy here in town, and they'd be more than happy to help. They could even send a rollback over to State College to pick the car up to bring it back to their shop. It's one of the best shops in central PA.
Thank you all for your response. A great website.
Hey Pat, Dan here, the car is sitting at state college motors(i grew up in Bellefonte). Where is the "bring it back to their shop" located, lewistown, port royal, bellefonte? My friend is not wanting state college motors to touch it.

Dan

Last edited:

newbeetle1981

TDI
01 Golf Gls TDI
If any locals have the need...

I am selling the 5sp trans from my 2001 tdi golf. It is a tdi 5sp trans and I am selling it with the shift box, axles, slave cylinder, starter, spindles, and mounts. I can include the clutch with flywheel but I would recommend replacing it. I can text pics of it to anyone who is interested. It has 173xxx on it but shifts perfect with no grinds. The only reason I am replacing it is that I bought 6 speed trans setup with gli brakes for it. Asking $500 for everything. I am located in Pittsburgh, Pa. Thanks

joshattack

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf auto
If any locals have the need...

I am selling the 5sp trans from my 2001 tdi golf. It is a tdi 5sp trans and I am selling it with the shift box, axles, slave cylinder, starter, spindles, and mounts. I can include the clutch with flywheel but I would recommend replacing it. I can text pics of it to anyone who is interested. It has 173xxx on it but shifts perfect with no grinds. The only reason I am replacing it is that I bought 6 speed trans setup with gli brakes for it. Asking $500 for everything. I am located in Pittsburgh, Pa. Thanks
PM sent!

Moosenuckle

Veteran Member
TDI
03 tdi ,Mk2 aba swap w/charger; 97 Dodge cummins 5spd
Hey guys and girls kinda of a noob to the tdi forum been lerking for awhile. Been a vortex member for a long time. Btw I'm from Leechburg/Freeport area. I also just picked up 03 silver Jetta tdi manual 116k. We should have a winter time GTG/meet and greet with some beers. :D

If any of you local guys need tires put on or need new rubbers send PM

-Zack

lbundy

Veteran Member
TDI
mkiii gti tdi
Hey guys and girls kinda of a noob to the tdi forum been lerking for awhile. Been a vortex member for a long time. Btw I'm from Leechburg/Freeport area. I also just picked up 03 silver Jetta tdi manual 116k. We should have a winter time GTG/meet and greet with some beers. :D
If any of you local guys need tires put on or need new rubbers send PM
-Zack
nice! good to see you found yourself a tdi. beats the mpg of your truck by a good bit i bet :p this is dom btw haha but hmu i still got your roller and heatgun . been crazy last couple months and dont stop out there too often

Moosenuckle

Veteran Member
TDI
03 tdi ,Mk2 aba swap w/charger; 97 Dodge cummins 5spd
nice! good to see you found yourself a tdi. beats the mpg of your truck by a good bit i bet :p this is dom btw haha but hmu i still got your roller and heatgun . been crazy last couple months and dont stop out there too often

What up Dom. Yea very happy that I found a low mileage tdi. Also we need to hook up so I can grab those tools back off of you. Also anyone in Pittsburgh area have ALH timing tools I could borrow or rent for a weekend. Or buy a case of beer , exchange some tire work or whatever. Need to get this done in the next month.

Jauryn

TDI
2006 VW Beetle
Hi everyone! Thought I'd swing by and say hello. Just moved to the area w/ and '06 Beetle from Georgia. Getting close to my 140k mark. I'm out in the Stubenville Ohio area while I look for a place to live in Pittsburgh, so just wondering if anybody knows a good place to take the car to around here, or will I need to head into the city? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Emily

TDI
2003 Jetta Station Wagon
The best place I've found so far is German Auto Outfitters. Jamie Jenkins is a good mechanic. I was having repeated issues with my car (having taken it to a few other mechanics in Pittsburgh) until I started going to Jamie. It is a haul (his shop is in Bealsville, which is past Washington, PA), but to me, it is worth it.

Jauryn

TDI
2006 VW Beetle
The best place I've found so far is German Auto Outfitters. Jamie Jenkins is a good mechanic. I was having repeated issues with my car (having taken it to a few other mechanics in Pittsburgh) until I started going to Jamie. It is a haul (his shop is in Bealsville, which is past Washington, PA), but to me, it is worth it.
Do you drive all the way out there for oil changes too, or just other services you need? I think I'm having some transmission issues so I'm hesitant to drive it too far away. There's a VW dealership in Steubenville, but I have no idea whether or not to trust them with my vehicle. :confused: I'll look up the shop you suggested though; if worst comes to worst I'll give him a call. Thanks :)

Emily

TDI
2003 Jetta Station Wagon
I do drive all the way there, even for oil changes. It is in the country, so if it is nice out, I go on a walk or a run during the service. I've had enough issues in the past with mechanics not fixing my car properly, so when I find a good mechanic, I'm loyal.

MadCat

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I am at German Auto Outfitters now, having my skid plate installed. Its an hour drive for me, but worth it. Thanks for the info !

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
Hey all, I'll be moving to the Pittsburgh area in the next month or so... not sure exactly where yet but probably between the South Hills and Robinson, as I'll be working in Cranberry, then eventually downtown. I see mention of German Auto Fitters mentioned on here and the only trusted mechanic in the area being in Greensburg. Aren't there any others in the area a little closer to town? Who does everyone take their TDIs to for regular service? Thanks in advance!

Horsemover

TDI
Still looking
Erie area here but in Pittsburgh quite a bit...just thought I'd pop in and say hello. I drive a 2012 F-350 and my wife has a 2014 BMW 328D but currently looking for a nice older TDI for a daily driver. Any suggestions on good shops in the area would also be appreciated.

Seismik

TDI
2001 Jetta & 96 Passat
Welcome to the area guys!

Hey all, I'll be moving to the Pittsburgh area in the next month or so... not sure exactly where yet but probably between the South Hills and Robinson, as I'll be working in Cranberry, then eventually downtown. I see mention of German Auto Fitters mentioned on here and the only trusted mechanic in the area being in Greensburg. Aren't there any others in the area a little closer to town? Who does everyone take their TDIs to for regular service? Thanks in advance!
I do most of my own work, but when I require additional help, I go to Hillcrest VW in Lower Burrell, but that is likely even further away from your area than Greensburg.

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
Welcome to the area guys!
I do most of my own work, but when I require additional help, I go to Hillcrest VW in Lower Burrell, but that is likely even further away from your area than Greensburg.
Thanks Seismik! Moving back after 15 years in Virginia! Lower Burrell is a bit of a hike.
Does anyone have any experience with the following:
1. Cochran VW on West Liberty Ave
2. Cochran VW of Wexford
3. Day Apollo in Moon
4. Three Rivers VW in McMurray

tkbtwin

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS bought at 34600 miles, now have 198,000
I have used Three Rivers before I found Jamie Jenkins. They replaced my glow plugs once. They also did some warranty work on rusting quarter panels. Not sure where they sent it, but they didn't do the paint work. It is a dealership, so they are higher priced, but the service was better than what I expected.

I originally bought my mk4 tdi jetta from Cochran VW, but it was Rohrich 8 years ago. It was used, so I needed the timing belt changed about a year after purchase. I had them do the timing belt. Again that was 7-8 years ago. No issues then. Not sure how they are now.

As with most tdi owners, I haven't really had to go in for any work in a few years. I now go to Jamie, if I need anything done outside of oil and fuel filter changes.