LED Headlight bulbs as DRLs?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I know the DRL circuit runs the stock incandescent headlight bulbs at a lower voltage to act as DRLs. But I was wondering if the stock bulbs were replaced with LED bulbs, would the DRL circuit still work? Also, would the lower DRL voltage damage the LED bulb circuitry?

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
I rewired the DRL circuit to power a pair of LED driving lights (instead of the headlamps). They work just fine. So I'm assuming LED headlamps would work as well.

One weird thing I noticed: When turning the key (with the parking brake engaged), the LED lights will blink, just briefly. I think it's a combination of how the circuit is designed, and how quickly LEDs light up. The parking brake relay (which is normally closed) takes a split second to energize and open the circuit. During that split second, it's sending power through the circuit. So you get a brief flash from the LEDs. I don't really care. But at night, it sometimes startles passersby.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Run a relay on that to the battery. You wont damage LEDs with less volts, only more.