KWP2000+ fails flash update in 2.5TDI V6 BDG ECU

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
Hi Folks

I am posting in TDI101 and in OBD to warn anyone who might want to use KWP2000+ interface to flash Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6 160bhp (or a B5.5 VW Passat). Note these are engines used in Europe.

In my case, we attempted it at tuner's site. The interface erased the ECU, and then returned an error. Yes, you guessed it, recovery was only possible by flashing the EEPROM through another interface, called CMDFlash OBD.

The engine code is BDG, it uses EDC15x

Have I missed the trick, or is it a known problem with this interface/engine/car combination?

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Sebastian said:
Where did you bought your KWP2000+? :D
Actually, this was original one, not an Ebay.

My tuner was using it but switched to CMDFlash recently.

And the flash failure was the reason why I did not buy the interface, although if it could be resolved, I'd still buy it.

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
I have just found that for flashing reliably, most KWP interface manufacturers suggest using external power supply and keeping the voltage on ECU above 13V. I checked with VAG-COM, and on my ECU it seems to be 11.8V (and must have been 11.6V when the problem happened, because rear heated seats were left on).

I also know that the interface that worked (CMDFlash), had an automatic pull-up to 14.7V

Does anyone have had similar problems and resolved them by plugging in a charger?

Any help much appreciated.

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
Only done a PD130 Passat and flashing went ok many (all) times. Problems waking up the ECU sometimes, maybe that is another symptom of the low voltage? Got the voltage to the ECU from the lighter.