Kill Switch on Starter Solenoid

Kitimoto Wayne

TDI
Caddy Maxi 1.9TDI 2010
Hi All,

I have searched the forum for the above topic and was not able to find anything in regards to this. Can somebody direct me to the right topic if there is one else can someone give me advice on installing a kill switch for the purposes of additional security to prevent theft, which we have a massive issue with here in SA.

I would like to put a switch circuit on the starter solenoid of my 2010 Caddy Maxi 1.9 tdi using a reed switch with relay module. I have been advised that the potential to damage the vehicle computer is present, hence the need to get some solid advice.

TIA.

Wayne

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hi All,

I have searched the forum for the above topic and was not able to find anything in regards to this. Can somebody direct me to the right topic if there is one else can someone give me advice on installing a kill switch for the purposes of additional security to prevent theft, which we have a massive issue with here in SA.

I would like to put a switch circuit on the starter solenoid of my 2010 Caddy Maxi 1.9 tdi using a reed switch with relay module. I have been advised that the potential to damage the vehicle computer is present, hence the need to get some solid advice.

TIA.

Wayne
It's not going to damage the computer. When looking at the starter there is one small wire. This is the wire that activated the solenoid. Route that wire through your Killswitch. Make sure it's hidden.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Search for this more. Imo it's better to put a switch to interrupt ground to relay 109 so ECU is killed, and then you don't introduce a switch in a higher amp circuit

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I would put it on the ecm relay circuit as well, that way it'll shut it all down. Putting it on the starter wire is really easy to bypass, as you can easily hot wire the starter, even without opening the bonnet. That engine should be a PD or common rail, which you can't just hot wire to the shutoff solenoid like the ve pump TDI could be.
Are you setting it up with the hijack security system? Or a completely separate system?

Kitimoto Wayne

TDI
Caddy Maxi 1.9TDI 2010
I would put it on the ecm relay circuit as well, that way it'll shut it all down. Putting it on the starter wire is really easy to bypass, as you can easily hot wire the starter, even without opening the bonnet. That engine should be a PD or common rail, which you can't just hot wire to the shutoff solenoid like the ve pump TDI could be.
Are you setting it up with the hijack security system? Or a completely separate system?
Search for this more. Imo it's better to put a switch to interrupt ground to relay 109 so ECU is killed, and then you don't introduce a switch in a higher amp circuit
The switch circuit design I have in mind is a momentary switch. That's why I want to put it on the starter solenoid. I will use a reed switch with a 20amp relay. The reason for this is two fold. Because the reed switch is activated with a magnet, it will be easy enough to conceal the switch behind a panel in the cabin. And secondly because it is a temporary switch the circuit is broken once you remove the magnet but the engine will keep running. At least this is my plan. If it will not work please let me know. Also, is there not a low current wire on the starter solenoid. I would have though that the 20amp relay would have been sufficient.

You thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The switch circuit design I have in mind is a momentary switch. That's why I want to put it on the starter solenoid. I will use a reed switch with a 20amp relay. The reason for this is two fold. Because the reed switch is activated with a magnet, it will be easy enough to conceal the switch behind a panel in the cabin. And secondly because it is a temporary switch the circuit is broken once you remove the magnet but the engine will keep running. At least this is my plan. If it will not work please let me know. Also, is there not a low current wire on the starter solenoid. I would have though that the 20amp relay would have been sufficient.

That could work, though it would be ineffective against many criminals as they often will hot wire the car to get it started. It will work to help prevent low level thieves from stealing your keys and driving off though.

Kitimoto Wayne

TDI
Caddy Maxi 1.9TDI 2010
That could work, though it would be ineffective against many criminals as they often will hot wire the car to get it started. It will work to help prevent low level thieves from stealing your keys and driving off though.
Ok. I am confused. If the starter solenoid is disabled, how will hot wiring at the ignition bypass the solenoid.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Ok. I am confused. If the starter solenoid is disabled, how will hot wiring at the ignition bypass the solenoid.
The ignition isn't the only place you can hot wire it. It's really easy to access the starter to hot wire it right there.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi

On your starter there is a large and small wire. Interrupt the small one.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
True. They'd see the switch unless it's hidden well.

Kitimoto Wayne

TDI
Caddy Maxi 1.9TDI 2010

If I switch ground on 109 relay, can it be a momentary switch circuit?