Key FOBs won't unlock

gvan

TDI
05 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
Both key fob unlock buttons stopped working at the same time a couple of weeks ago. Lock and rear gate buttons still work fine. I tried reprogramming per the owners manual and with Vagcom. No change.

To the best of my recollection we havne't changed the batteries in the fobs. I would think low batteries would affect all functions the same though?

Did I mention it has been COLD here? Like, -40C to -20C for most of November and December with a few mornings of hard cranking to get started at -30C with maybe not enough hours plugged in. (Heat wave now, its up to 0C!, but problem persists.)

Anyone experience these fob symptoms before?

Thanks!
Gvan

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Try checking if the comfort module (CCM) "sees" that signal from the keys.

You go to module 46 for the CCM, open the blocks and go one by one until you find the one block for the remote buttons, maybe block 12 or higher. There is not that many active blocks in the CCM up to around 17, so you won't be guessing the block for too long.

BTW, to re-adapt the keys in VCDS you have to save settings 00 to implement the factory defaults, before adapting your keys again.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:

gvan

TDI
05 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
CCM Measuring Block

Okay, It's Group 15. "Remote Control Button"
Reading is 0 0 0 0.
First 0 = Unlock Button
Second 0 = Lock Button
Third 0 = RLR (rear lid release)
Fourth 0 = Panic button

Each 0 changes to 1 when corresponding remote button is pressed.
Except, in my case, for the Unlock button (first 0). Reading remains at 0 when unlock button on remote is pressed. This is the same with both remotes.

So does this mean that the CCM is not recognizing the Unlock button signal from the remotes? I would suspect the remote itself but it is the same with both remotes and started at the same time. This makes me think that the problem is on the CCM side.

Any thoughts on where I go from here?

I did try reprograming the remotes with Vagcom, but not sure it worked. I did the adaptation including the reset to defaults to get it to save. Oddly, it only showed that there was 1 remote and I tried to get it to show 2 remotes but it wouldn't save 2 no matter what I did. It would always go back to 1. Nothing changed but at least everything still works except the unlock buttons.

Hmm.

Also, I tried changing the unlocking code (00258) to 00259 (selective to non-selective[unlocks all doors with one press] but this did not help. All doors do unlock at once now with manual unlock from key in door though.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
In my humble opinion your CCM is faulty. Why don't you try reconnecting both connectors to the box?
The part is found under your steering wheel, just remove a lid held by 3 T-20 screws.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Except, in my case, for the Unlock button (first 0). Reading remains at 0 when unlock button on remote is pressed. This is the same with both remotes.
Does the red LED on the remotes flash when unlock is pressed?

gvan

TDI
05 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
red led

I haven't noticed that. What does that indicate? Does the led come on normally when a properly functioning remote button is pressed?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't noticed that. What does that indicate? Does the led come on normally when a properly functioning remote button is pressed?
It would be extremely strange but if the led doesn't flash when the button is pressed on both keys that means the problem is with the keys.

gvan

TDI
05 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon
I replaced the batteries in both remotes with new ones. The unlock function now works!

It is no surprise that the batteries needed replacing as these were original. Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to explain why a failing remote battery would manifest as a single inoperable function while all other functions remain 100% normal.

Anyway, hope thanks for helping me figure this out. I learned some things through it and I hope this helps someone else at some point.

sketter

TDI
mark 4
key fob

several times my fob has stopped opening anything, the red light on the fob does not light, nothing opens. I open the fob as if I would change the battery, and then put it back together and everything works. The battery always tests out full volatage. Once back together everything opens and the red light lights.

sketter

TDI
mark 4
key fob

several times my fob has stopped opening anything, the red light on the fob does not light, nothing opens. I open the fob as if I would change the battery, and then put it back together and everything works. The battery always tests out full volatage. Once back together everything opens and the red light lights.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
I replaced the batteries in both remotes with new ones. The unlock function now works!

It is no surprise that the batteries needed replacing as these were original. Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to explain why a failing remote battery would manifest as a single inoperable function while all other functions remain 100% normal.

Anyway, hope thanks for helping me figure this out. I learned some things through it and I hope this helps someone else at some point.
Wha...? You got seven years out of your fob battery? I've replaced mine three times. That's how they fail. First they don't work from a distance, then they don't work from a shorter distance, then maybe the trunk won't open on the first click or the door lock won't open, or the beep won't acknowledge the doors are locked. I don't know if it's a sonic signal or a radio signal but as the battery power drops the signal gets weaker and the
operations get squirrely. I've read the battery lasts longer if you limit the operation of the key to short distances, but what's the point of a remote if you're standing next to the car? You may as well lock it with the key.

Big Jimmy

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Key FOB won't work at all

I'm having a problem where my key fob stopped working all together.

I've got a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI

First, what happened was the common door lock module / door switch problem where the puddle light would never turn on and the car did not recognize when the door was open. So it acted like it was always in the closed position. I didn't worry about that right away because it never gave any problems with the alarm going off or anything. And the doors would still lock and unlock just fine with the fob.

But then after a few weeks or a month of that being 'situation normal' the fob quit working. I figured that it must just be something related to the stupid door switch problem, so over the weekend I finally took apart my door, and fixed that problem. Now the door works just fine, but the fob still does nothing.

So I tried this today...

CCM Measuring Block
Okay, It's Group 15. "Remote Control Button"
Reading is 0 0 0 0.
First 0 = Unlock Button
Second 0 = Lock Button
Third 0 = RLR (rear lid release)
Fourth 0 = Panic button

I tried this, and the zeros never change at all. So I guess according to that result, my fob is dead. But when I went in to reset all keys and have the car re-learn the remote, that worked just fine. I cleared out the remotes by having it set to 00 and saving. Then I switched it to 01, clicked TEST, then SAVE, then pushed the door lock button on the remote and the car horn honked to confirm that it had learned the remote. Then I turned off VCDS and took the key out of the ignition to try it, and nothing. I also tried putting a new battery in the fob. And still nothing.

What else can I try? I wish I could try another fob, but I only have one. So for now I have to keep putting the key in the door to unlock everything.

It makes no sense to me though... How can the button on the fob work in order to pair the fob to the car, but when I push the buttons for the fob signal test, everything stays on zero, like I'm not pushing any of the buttons.
Does that mean my CCM is bad? But again, why am I able to pair the fob? If the CCM is bad, then the pairing shouldn't work either. Right? Unless maybe it is very strangely, and coincidentally intermittent.

Any suggestions on what's wrong, or what else I need to check would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

62benly

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI BEW
Key FOB won't work at all

I'm having a problem where my key fob stopped working all together.

I've got a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI

First, what happened was the common door lock module / door switch problem where the puddle light would never turn on and the car did not recognize when the door was open. So it acted like it was always in the closed position. I didn't worry about that right away because it never gave any problems with the alarm going off or anything. And the doors would still lock and unlock just fine with the fob.

But then after a few weeks or a month of that being 'situation normal' the fob quit working. I figured that it must just be something related to the stupid door switch problem, so over the weekend I finally took apart my door, and fixed that problem. Now the door works just fine, but the fob still does nothing.

So I tried this today...

I tried this, and the zeros never change at all. So I guess according to that result, my fob is dead. But when I went in to reset all keys and have the car re-learn the remote, that worked just fine. I cleared out the remotes by having it set to 00 and saving. Then I switched it to 01, clicked TEST, then SAVE, then pushed the door lock button on the remote and the car horn honked to confirm that it had learned the remote. Then I turned off VCDS and took the key out of the ignition to try it, and nothing. I also tried putting a new battery in the fob. And still nothing.

What else can I try? I wish I could try another fob, but I only have one. So for now I have to keep putting the key in the door to unlock everything.

It makes no sense to me though... How can the button on the fob work in order to pair the fob to the car, but when I push the buttons for the fob signal test, everything stays on zero, like I'm not pushing any of the buttons.
Does that mean my CCM is bad? But again, why am I able to pair the fob? If the CCM is bad, then the pairing shouldn't work either. Right? Unless maybe it is very strangely, and coincidentally intermittent.

Any suggestions on what's wrong, or what else I need to check would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
I'm having the same issue. I'm able to pair the fob in the VCDS adaption settings but then nothing. Do I really need a new CCM if the pairing seemed to work?