*** KESSY "KEY NOT IN RANGE" Solution *****

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
For those of you with the KESSY system in your car. If you get the dreaded "Key Not in Range" error, you can still start the car using the non-published bypass.

1) keep the key in the folded position.
2) Place end of key fob to start button as if you were going to use it like a normal key. (Switchblade Closed)
3) Press start button and hold.

Car will now start. Even though we have a "Keyless" start system, there is still a reader coil built into the start button that will allow the car to start if an authorized key is within range of the reader coil.
So for anyone who gets that "Oh $h!t I'm stuck because my key won't work" feeling, now you have a way to get the car started and taken to the dealership for them to re-initialize the Kessy system.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Sales person did this demo during the new car delivery walk through. He also stated that this was for a low battery condition in the fob.

Auslndr

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2009 Golf Variant TDI
The valet key works as well, if your car came with a valet key (I understand the Jetta's don't anymore). It too has the embedded chip. And yes, I've tested this on my 2012 Golf ;)

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI, Tech Package, 6MT, 4 door - SOLD
Sales person did this demo during the new car delivery walk through. He also stated that this was for a low battery condition in the fob.
Mine did the same, although it wasn't offered until I asked what to do if the FOB died.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Is the start button on the steering column in these cars?

In the Passat the Start button is on the center console by the shifter, but there is a reader coil on the steering column where the ignition switch is on non-KESSY cars.

-J

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
What year do you have. My 2013 Owners manual is pretty much worthless. Not only did it not mention this, they no-longer list any of the fuses in the manual. And what is really bad is the dealer shop manual doesn't list the fuses correctly. It is almost like the 2013 Sportwagen's are some weird mix of MkVI Golf, Jetta and MKV Jetta....

Good tip but this was spelled out in my owner's manual.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
What year do you have. My 2013 Owners manual is pretty much worthless. Not only did it not mention this, they no-longer list any of the fuses in the manual. And what is really bad is the dealer shop manual doesn't list the fuses correctly. It is almost like the 2013 Sportwagen's are some weird mix of MkVI Golf, Jetta and MKV Jetta....
2012. If I think about it when I get home, I'm riding my bike today, I'll look in the manual and see what page it's listed on.

Rapshire

TDI
2012 Golf TDi dsg/tech
Get the fuse map for your car by asking the parts guy to print one out for your VIN. Mine handed me over 80 pages which I scrubbed down to around 25.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
For those of you with the KESSY system in your car. If you get the dreaded "Key Not in Range" error, you can still start the car using the non-published bypass.

1) keep the key in the folded position.
2) Place end of key fob to start button as if you were going to use it like a normal key. (Switchblade Closed)
3) Press start button and hold.

Car will now start. Even though we have a "Keyless" start system, there is still a reader coil built into the start button that will allow the car to start if an authorized key is within range of the reader coil.
So for anyone who gets that "Oh $h!t I'm stuck because my key won't work" feeling, now you have a way to get the car started and taken to the dealership for them to re-initialize the Kessy system.
Ok, I'm looking at my 2012 JSW owner's manual right now. Page 170, Emergeency start function. It talks about what to do if the key is within range but the cars says that it isn't and/or the battery in the fob is dead.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I'm looking at my 2012 JSW owner's manual right now. Page 170, Emergeency start function. It talks about what to do if the key is within range but the cars says that it isn't and/or the battery in the fob is dead.
Well.. that would be great if my owners manual actually had 170 pages. I am getting the feeling that I was not given all of the manuals. The one I have ends at page 84.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Well.. that would be great if my owners manual actually had 170 pages. I am getting the feeling that I was not given all of the manuals. The one I have ends at page 84.
What does your manual show on the front cover?

Mine says,

Owner's Manual
Jetta SportWagen
U.S. Edition. Model Year 2012

It contains 345 pages. I'd say that you're missing something.