Kerma 150hp kit worth it?

TDI_M

TDI
2002 Jetta
Anyone have experience with this 150 kit from Kerma? Trying to decide if it's worth it or if there are more sensible ways to bump the power. And would my stock turbo be worth anything in resale?

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
IMO . . . its not a bad kit, but I would call it a hype kit. A vendor claiming that much exclusivity is hype. A braided ss oil line! Shop around and you can do the same stuff for cheaper. It will take longer but you will know more about your car! Not like that site doesn't have good stuff to offer, its just I think you should take your time and learn more before you throw down your cash. What kind of cars have you had before this?

Stuff like whether you have a stick or automatic makes a huge difference because you will fry your automatic with that setup. Im from Fort Walton, FL so I know you need some other mods to go along with that to be setup for longevity. A better intercooler for sure!

These cars can last a long time and that's why they need more maintenance. Many cars just need oil and gas but crap out around 200,000 miles. Doing your own work means you can economically have a car for close to 400,000 miles. Maybe more?

Do you like to work on your ride;-)

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
You buy a tdi for fuel mileage. Not for a power stud. I guess I dont really understand why people modify these cars to make them more powerful, It is what it is and this would be an excellent German economy car. If you want more power then go buy something else to toy around with on the weekend.

The return on investment just isn't worth it IMO so I vote no.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
You buy a tdi for fuel mileage. Not for a power stud. I guess I dont really understand why people modify these cars to make them more powerful, It is what it is and this would be an excellent German economy car. If you want more power then go buy something else to toy around with on the weekend.

You don't understand that some of the results of modding is actually improved fuel economy? Unless you're going all out crazy, there's no reason why a modded TDI shouldn't easily be able to get better mileage then a stocker right off the dealers lot.

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4

Umm, a few mods and you get more power and better MPG. Also in my opinion having extra power is a safety concern for me. I much rather have a vehicle that can power through a situation instead of having to stop in the middle of it. Also being able to merge onto a highway, and or traffic.

Personally I haven't done any upgrades on my TDI since I have not had time. But coming from 250hp Volvos to the TDI makes me feel like a slug just waiting to get run over. Try getting onto a 70mph+ highway with a short on ramp, you pry that you time it correctly with the TDI.

Anyway, to the original topic, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on power, no way!

TDI_M

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks FL/CO for that thoughtful response, good things to think about. My vehicle history starts with the '68 Beetle that my father and I did a complete body-off restoration of. It was a brand new 1968 car when we were done. Moved on to a 87 Mustang 5.0, a few other forgettable cars, and lots of Jeeps with various builds on them, all done by myself. I've pulled transmissions, done clutches, pulled heads, installed suspension lifts, rear main seals, 4wd conversion. I have VCDS software and last year did my valve body on my O1M along with upgraded harness, didn't blow that up. :) I'm a little more advanced than a oil change shadetree mechanic but always learning new things. This is my first diesel.

I did buy it for mileage, but considering I only had to beat the mpg offered my by a lifted Grand Cherokee, I don't necessarily need 50+ to be happy. I want to have my cake and eat it too, meaning I need decent mileage but wouldn't mind a little more power for the fun factor. I won't ever race and am rarely at 3500 rpm, and I'm even pretty happy with my stock power. Just planning ahead, seeing what my options might be. My car is currently an automatic but my manual swap (according to the tracking number) is in France, due on my doorstep this Thursday. I'll do the work myself. I currently average 37 mpg, expect a nice jump from the swap, but if I could get more power and stay around 37 I'd be pleased.

Good god reading some of that almost makes me puke.
Care to elaborate?

TDI_M

TDI
2002 Jetta
Gotcha! I was thinking, "I've been around automotive forums long enough to spot a line of bs but FL/COtdi seems to know what he's talking about...???" :)

My initial thought was maybe I should try to tackle all of this at once while I already had the car on stands and room to work with the transmission out, but I can tell I've got more learning to do before I drop this kind of money. It's probably wise to enjoy the switch from auto to manual first, then take another step later if I still need a little more fun.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm under the impression it's a lot easier to troubleshoot doing one thing at a time. I can see the draw of doing everything at once, but it's a lot harder to track down problems when doing that.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
The recent Diesel Power did an upgrade on an ALH. They swapped out the auto, exhaust IIRC, new nozzles and a tune, 150 to the wheels.

I'll dig it up tonight when I get home.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
The recent Diesel Power did an upgrade on an ALH. They swapped out the auto, exhaust IIRC, new nozzles and a tune, 150 to the wheels.

I'll dig it up tonight when I get home.
150 crank maybe.. No way they were making 150whp with a stock vnt15.

Is this the same mag that had a 300hp vnt17 build as well? If so, probably not your most trusted source when it comes to the TDI engine :)

recklessdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5spd
...It's probably wise to enjoy the switch from auto to manual first, then take another step later if I still need a little more fun.
I think this is a good plan. I just bought (and am now trying to sell) an 03 Jetta Wagon Auto. Prior to buying it, I test drove a manual 03 Jetta Sedan TDI and the difference is night and day between auto and manual. The auto is just so slushy and I forgot how much I dislike it (used to have an 03 Jetta TDI but it was totaled 3 or 4 years ago). If nobody buys my wagon, I'll just keep it and do a staged upgrade to 150 hp going tune, nozzles, then turbo since I don't really want to put out $2k+ all at once. And yes, somewhere along the way, a swap to manual transmission. *edit* Hmmm, on second thought, swap to manual transmission first.

But now you've got me thinking so I'm going to search this board for reviews on that package you initially linked in your first post...

RaiderDAD

TDI
2000 VW New Beetle TDI 1.9L 5 speed, mufflerectomy, Malone Stage 1.5 Tune, Diesel R/X Glow Plugs
Just some food for thought. If you don't upgrade other parts while doing these mods, the old parts ( your turbo, clutch, and other items ) will go out faster. 2013 SOWO I got the Malone Stage I Tune. I loved it! I got better MPG, and more power, but quickly ate my old turbo seals. So it's something to think about.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Just some food for thought. If you don't upgrade other parts while doing these mods, the old parts ( your turbo, clutch, and other items ) will go out faster. 2013 SOWO I got the Malone Stage I Tune. I loved it! I got better MPG, and more power, but quickly ate my old turbo seals. So it's something to think about.
I started with the Malone stage 1 and dynamic egr also. Very nice mod but lacking in my thirst for power. I then went to stage 1.5 and stage 1 pp764 nozzles. This has to be the ultimate non turbo upgrade tune and didn't hurt my MPG at all-probably helped it. Do your mods a step at a time for sure. I vote your first mod for you to be a manual conversion. The non DSG automatics leave a lot to be desired. These diesels just perform so much better with manuals and are loads more fun to drive.

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Your past car experience sounds like a blast! I wish I could give you a ride in my rig, just to give you idea of what some mild upgrades can do. Find the next gtg that is close enough for you and Im sure someone will take you for a spin. If you can try mild to wild and feel what a little 1.9 diesel does with different stuff.

I will probably upgrade my turbo but only after the one I now have starts to tell me it is a need that is ready to be done! I did get proactive with the switch to the 5 speed. Got an lsd and strong clutch too. Obviously a lot of fun with bigger nozzles and a tune. If this turbo goes another 100,000? I will gladly wait. I will go with audi tt bushings but only when the current bushings need it. And so on . . .

One mod I would probably do over is the exhaust. Look around for how many folks here straight pipe. Very cheap and works very well.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
If you ARE going to go for more power, and you KNOW it, then put a clutch in that will hold it while you have the transmission out of the car!

A stock Sachs will definitely NOT.

TDI_M

TDI
2002 Jetta
I'm doing a single mass flywheel and Franz is sending a Sachs clutch. Is that the type of clutch I could build on?

Edit: Didn't see your comment about the Sachs until after I responded! Ha, guess you already answered that one. Recommendations?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Depends on how far you're going. If really to 150 then I'd be looking at South Bend -- they're pretty much the only people making something that will stay in one piece at that power level.

For something milder I'd probably do a Luk -- they're real pleasant to drive provided they'll hold the torque.

This much I do know -- pulling the transaxle a second time and buying a second clutch sucks.

BTW I have VCDS and am local, should you lack it.

TDI_M

TDI
2002 Jetta
Would either the South Bend or Luk be a pain in normal daily driving conditions? And how about with stock power? I can't imagine going over 150hp, especially if the Kerma kit is a decent (even if high) estimate of what I would be looking to spend to get there.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The Luk is actually LIGHTER than the stock Sachs; it's a pleasure to drive on a daily basis. South Bend's stuff is nice as well.

It's not the horsepower that's the problem, it's the torque. Figure out where you think you'll be on torque when you're done and buy the clutch to hold more than that.

You're getting into the range at 150 HP where you start thinking about the strength of other components (e.g. final drive, etc) as well.... the cost of doing it right starts going up fast once that happens.....

TDI_M

TDI
2002 Jetta
Aww yeah, manual transmission is on time to be here tomorrow! Won't get to install it for a few weeks, but at least I can look at it in the garage!

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
I did the Southbend Daily on my car, before I installed it the turbo popped and I upgraded. I wish I had sprung for the endurance but so far so good.

The Pedal effort is lighter than my friend's stock '04 clutch.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Lets see the VNT-17 is $900, the Stage 2 South Bend Clutch is $350 and upgraded injectors maybe $500. So about $1750 for those parts Then you wlll need a 3 Bar MAP $40 and a tune which will be about $400. I only see parts in Kerma's offer but not a tune which you will have to have.

But if you want to hold 150+hp you will need a bigger intercooler which will probably add $1500 or so to your project .

My car is just shy of !50hp and 250ft-lbs of torque. I have been running PP520 injectors and a low smoke RC4 tune which is very much fun. Oh Oh I also have a WaveTrac limited slip differential which you will need with high torque to control torque steer.

Conventional wisdom is to upgrade to the injectors you are going to go with in your project and that will give you an increase in torque. The next step is tune and clutch. With stock turbo I made 138hp with the PP520's and RC2.

You can see I have spent a lot of money upgrading my car but it did not do it all at one time.

TDI_M

TDI
2002 Jetta
With stock turbo I made 138hp with the PP520's and RC2.
Thanks Chris for that thorough response, I very much appreciate it and am quite interested. So you're saying it's fine to do injectors and clutch and nothing else? Then add tune later? If the 150 kit needs a $1500 intercooler then I'm out for sure, but I would love to learn more about what I could do with the stock intercooler and turbo.

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
I have a stock turbo and pushed the boost from 14 to 18 psi. It can probably do 20 psi or more at 3000 rpm and higher. I did a tune first and nozzles are next on my list. After that I'll need a turbo and clutch at the same time so I'll stop there.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Lets see the VNT-17 is $900, the Stage 2 South Bend Clutch is $350 and upgraded injectors maybe $500. So about $1750 for those parts Then you wlll need a 3 Bar MAP $40 and a tune which will be about $400. I only see parts in Kerma's offer but not a tune which you will have to have.
But if you want to hold 150+hp you will need a bigger intercooler which will probably add $1500 or so to your project .
My car is just shy of !50hp and 250ft-lbs of torque. I have been running PP520 injectors and a low smoke RC4 tune which is very much fun. Oh Oh I also have a WaveTrac limited slip differential which you will need with high torque to control torque steer.
Conventional wisdom is to upgrade to the injectors you are going to go with in your project and that will give you an increase in torque. The next step is tune and clutch. With stock turbo I made 138hp with the PP520's and RC2.
You can see I have spent a lot of money upgrading my car but it did not do it all at one time.
I'm pretty sure that the Kerma kit comes with a tune, from Kerma. Not saying its worth it or anything, but thought I should clarify.