Kenwood double din

Dallas Stace-smith

TDI
2003 TDI Jetta gls
Wondering if anyone is running a Kenwood double din in their mk4 this? If so how easy are they to install, are they pretty plug and play? And what model

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I had a double din Kenwood in my mkiv for a while, didn't care for it due to the angle the deck sits at, so sold it to a buddy of mine and he used it until his wife took the car in the divorce. You still need the vw adapter harness for aftermarket radios, along with the powered antenna booster, but otherwise just get an install kit. They aren't that hard to do.

I've since switched back to a single din non-cd player, so I could get my pocket back. I only use my radio with Bluetooth music anyways.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I was adamant about staying OEM until CarPlay, and then I finally gave in and bought an aftermarket stereo. I still wanted to keep the OEM look though, and the closest thing I could find was this. It is also pretty much the only model from any brand that still has a volume knob, if that's your preference. If you squint or have really bad vision, you could mistake it for the old OEM nav unit ;)

Last edited:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
Re installation, it is like what was described above, i.e. pretty easy but you'll need a harness and powered antenna adapter. Crutchfield is usually one of the best places for that stuff. However, I didn't link to them because they stopped selling this specific model, and all of the newest ones don't have a volume knob either.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Yes I've had a Kenwood double din in mine for about 6 years. Very easy install, but I've installed quite a few radios in my time.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Wherever you get it, you'll want the wiring harness and kit to fit your car. Then install will be a snap.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm in Portland too, and that's actually a side-reason why I liked the OEM look of the Sony. I live in a heavily hobo populated neighborhood in inner SE where our apartment building mail gets stolen once per week and my car has been broken into while in a covered and brightly lit lot ( for sunglasses, apparently), but I like to think that someone just glancing inside my window will think my OEM-looking stereo isn't worth anything. And, so far, that's been the case.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
My dad and I just got joying units. After a little fiddling everything works. Can read everything in our newer canbus cars. It's cool. Still waiting for my unit.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
In my previous Golf, I installed a Pioneer NEX8000 (or 8000NEX), which looks very much like the above Kenwood or Sony options. The thing I liked about it was that the screen had a tilt, so I could angle it upwards to get a better view angle.

As others said, installation is pretty straightforward. If you have and want to keep steering wheel controls, that's do-able as well with an additional dongle (Metra ASWC-1). If you do go that route, once you have it installed and wired up, read the pairing instructions VERY CAREFULLY - there's some bizarre incantation of turn on power, wait for LED blinks, count blinks, turn off power, open door, do the hokey-pokey, turn yourself about...
(Makes more sense once you've done it once or twice)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I put a DNX571HD in mine.
Sounds great.
Has navigation also.
Crutchfield is where I got what was needed.
I also removed the booster in the back ran all new 18 gauge wire to the speakers.
Got rid of the VW under sized wire.