Just paid this off after a year of ownership. RIP.

kdoubt

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Platinum Gray GLS 5MT
Guy blew they a stop sign on highbury and ilderton just north of London ON. I didn't see him because he was behind snow banks but he appearently didn't notice about 12 slowdown strips, and upcoming stop sign, and a country sized stop sight with a caution white and red strip below it. A whiteness coming southbound saw the whole thing and saw the guy wasn't slowing down. I t-boned him at 90km/h, went airborne and spun the opposite direction and also took a chunk out of the highway. Stopped maybe 10 ft past the intersection. So from 90km/h to 0km/h in about 10 feet. Other car ended up flipping a couple times and sideways in the field. 2014 Nissan SUV.
OPP officer told me half of an 1/8th of a second and the SUV would have TBoned me at highway speeds shoulder and head level.

Heres the pics from yesterday.

SOOOOOO, I need a new car. Another Jetta? Touareg? Audi?
I've got the opportunity now so I'd like to keep my options open. Looking to spend around $10K give or take.

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
Hopefully you're ok. By the pics it looks like you were able to open the driver's door. That's pretty amazing.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Pics like those make me think twice about winter road condition. Nice to see you getting out of it in one piece.... All the best. Stick with a TDI. They are built for those occasions.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Glad you are feeling OK. Scary stuff. You were heading Northbound, and the other party (heretofore referred to as "idiot") was heading East right? Google street view shows the EB stop sign to be about the size of a large kiddie pool.

Was the idiot charged?

When I'm on the Kawasaki, I go under the assumption that everyone else on the road is an idiot and will not follow the rules. Looks like that was an accurate assumption in this case.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
When I'm on the Kawasaki, I go under the assumption that everyone else on the road is an idiot and will not follow the rules.
Why only when you're on the Kawasaki?

kdoubt: glad you appear to be more-or-less OK... hope no long-term aches turn up in the next while!!

Yuri

fede179070

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Why only when you're on the Kawasaki?

kdoubt: glad you appear to be more-or-less OK... hope no long-term aches turn up in the next while!!

Yuri
Have you ever been hit while on a motorbike? Not fun at all...

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Glad you weren't seriously injured, good luck with the recovery, you'll be sore for a few days.

Your Jetta took that crash like a champ.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I agree, but... one could also take Windex' viewpoint while driving other types of vehicles...

Yuri

Perhaps a rephrasing,

In part due to my time spent on two wheelers, I assume anyone in control of a motor vehicle is going to do the wrong thing.

Stop sign? They're going to go through it.
Blindspot? Not going to check, nor are they going to use a turn signal.
Behind me? I'm going to assume that you are not paying attention when I have to brake.

You get the idea. I do this in the car as well as on the bike.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
Glad you are OK. Make sure whatever you buy is at least as good in a crash as your Jetta was!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Could you please post pictures that fit the page? It;s a real pain to scroll back and forth to try to read the post, so usually, I don't bother.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Looks like you owe VW a thank you. That car dealt with the impact rather well!

Glad to see you here posting. :)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Hope everyone is OK. Our VW's definitely "give it up" for the safety of the occupants all right. A hit like that makes a major mess of things. Truly sorry for your loss. It seems the forum is full of threads lately reporting the demise of a venerable MK4. Makes me all the more cautious when driving mine. Law of averages just catches up with age I guess. Glad you're all right (hair, hat and mustache aside) and report back how the insurance company(s) treat you.

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Glad to hear you're okay - damage seams minimal for the speeds you were saying. Sending healing vibes out east for ya.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
It will buff out! Yikes...I am also amazed you could open the doors!

Heel up !

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hope everyone is OK. Our VW's definitely "give it up" for the safety of the occupants all right.
+1, both on the good wishes and the comment on VW body strength. It's amazing that the passenger compartment held up so well given the collision forces involved. It's real-world performance like that which keeps me in VWs despite their bad points. Yeah, other cars may score five stars in the crash tests, but IMHO that's like cramming for a test. I'd rather be in the car that can pass the pop quiz.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Clark Howard has several good write ups about dealing with insurance companies.
They are to owe you the replacement value not "KBB" big difference in your favor.

Glad you are doing ok, car held up great, just like mine after flipping it. Amazing how stout these mk4s are!!

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I had a serious crash totaling my '01 Golf. Though the car looked very bad, I suffered zero injuries I've experienced worse injuries around the house and at work. The down side was my beloved TDI was a goner w/estimated $13k damage. I was pretty devastated over that. You can't have it both ways I guess. The fwd crush zone works very well but the resulting carnage almost guarantees a no-fix situation.

kdoubt

TDI
The insurance company offered me $4000 + 13% tax for the car. I eventually got them to $6000 as I've put 85000 km on the car since I bought it (purchase price of $4700).

Here are some interior pictures when I went to visit it and grab all my stuff.

This angle almost looks like a beetle its so smushed.

kdoubt

TDI
So I couldn't sway from the German engineering and got a bavarian brother.
Unfortunately its not a Diesel but close to 30mpg will do well for what I need it for. The interior is extremely similar which I like a lot.

kdoubt

TDI
Nice BMW!
I'm shocked that car took a hit so well! Glad your ok!
Thank you! I consider myself very lucky and owe VW big time. Touareg for the lady shortly.

I should also mention a big thank you to everyone here who has helped answer questions I had about my dubb. Much appreciated everyone. Love the energy here.