Just got my VCDS...now what?

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Just got the cable and used it today to prime my fuel system. My next thing is to do the DSG fluid change and use it for the Temp.

However, I was just wondering if there is anything initially I should do with it? People keep saying it is handy to have, but I was just wondering if there were some basic 101 stuff for a newbie like me?

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
A full scan will come in handy if you haven't already done so. :)
You can now change quite a few setting more to your liking; you can find instructions in the how to section for your model.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Yeah, always start with an autoscan and save the results. Then, no matter what you change, you can always change it back because you saved a "snapshot" of your car's coding before any changes.

After that, just start opening controllers and scrolling through all of the options in the long coding helper. If something looks interesting, Google it and see what it does, then try changing it. If you don't like what it does, change it back. Just to be safe I would stick to changing one thing at a time until you get used to how it works.

Later, you can get into performance logging and some of the more advance functions.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. You might even want to consider doing something very unusual - reading the manual.:rolleyes:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.html
printable pdf version near the bottom of the page

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
put a few readings on, and log your drive to work.

play coolant temp back and watch the thermostat work.

try to record temps during a regen.

try the dsg basic settings after you change the fluid.