Just bought my 2nd Diesel...this time, a Dodge

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Happy Thanksgiving to me!

I bought a 2005 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 last weekend. I love it! It's a little louder and bigger than my TDI Jetta, but that's ok.

It's only got under 31,000 miles on it and it's in great shape. Pretty loaded from the factory (heated leather, sirius, bedliner, tow pkg, overhead computer)....except for a engine block heater (but it does have the spot for it).

Pending Upgrades:
OEM Block Heater (already ordered)
Westin Nerf Bars (already ordered)
Tonneau (pending decision on which one)
Window Tint (spring 2008)

I now have 2 diesels in my driveway, what a great feeling. I can't wait to run some B5 (or more :) ) through it.

Just wanted to share the new with you diesel enthusiasts.

-Justluckey

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Congrats!

BTW, all Cummins engines have a block heater. However not all of them have the pigtail/plugin cord for it. You can order that from http://www.genosgarage.com.

I also have a 2005 CTD. Start adding TC-W3 two stoke oil to your fuel NOW! The injectors in these engines do not fair will with ULSD. Dodge has already replaced an entire set of them in mine under warranty. You'll find that adding two stroke oil will make the engine a lot smoother and quieter. You want to add it at a ratio of one ounce TC-W3 oil per gallon. So on your next fill up pour in a quart of TC-W3 first.

Wal*Mart has the best price on TC-W3 oil. About $8.50 a gallon.

If yours is an automatic, don't add any power boxes or programmers unless you plan to invest a couple thousand to beef-up the tranny. The stock tranny will last a long time at stock power, which is 325 hp and 610 lb. ft. That's plenty of power for me to tow my camper or deck boat.

Enjoy!!!!

Here's mine...

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Believer,
I hope you're right about the heater, it will save me ~$50, I'll find out this weekend. My brother-in-law (a Dodge mechanic), looked under the hood the other night and couldn't see the heater (but it was dark out, no flashlight), so he's picking me up one and will be installing it (if needed) this weekend.

He also recommended 2-stoke oil due to ULSD's lack of lubing properties....He runs it in his 2001 3/4 Ram.

My Nerf Bards should be arriving today, I can't wait to get them installed.

I noticed no lights across the top of the cab, I never figured out what pkg has them and which one's don't. I have them on my mine (SLT Laramie pkg).

I do have an automatic and I'm a little overwhelmed by the power (used to my TDI). I don't have any plans of upgrading performance at this time. I am looking at towing ~20ft camper trailer next year...but no performance boost is needed for that job.

BTW, nice looking truck! Looks like mine (sans long bed & red color). No tonneau cover?

Last edited:

TDI Believer

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
JustLuckey said:
Believer,
I hope you're right about the heater, it will save me ~$50...

...No tonneau cover?
I'm definately right about the block heater. You already have one. You'll find it on the passenger side of the engine.

A tonneau cover would get in the way for me. I seem to haul a lot of stuff with this truck. The 8 ft. bed has come in handy. I am planning to add a crossover toolbox and some fender flares to it this winter.

Mine is not a Laramie, it is an SLT Sport with cloth interior. I'm waiting on delivery of some custom Wet Okole neoprene seat covers in Charcoal gray with red piping. That's my Christmas present. They should be here in a week or so. I almost went with Katskin leather, but I figured the neoprene would hold up better with our dogs. We have four Belgian Shepherds that travel in the back seat area. The Sport model comes with the fold-flat floor, so it's real nice for them on trips.

And I'm not exagerating abut the TC-W3 oil. Start using it right away.

osesu96

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI - Platinum Gray
TDI Believer said:
I also have a 2005 CTD. Start adding TC-W3 two stoke oil to your fuel NOW! The injectors in these engines do not fair will with ULSD. Dodge has already replaced an entire set of them in mine under warranty. You'll find that adding two stroke oil will make the engine a lot smoother and quieter. You want to add it at a ratio of one ounce TC-W3 oil per gallon. So on your next fill up pour in a quart of TC-W3 first.
My curiosity has led me to ask the following: couldn't bio-diesel be used as an injector lubricant instead of two-stroke oil?

I'm just wondering since it's a lot cheaper than 8.50 a gallon for 2-stroke oil at Wally World.

TDI Believer

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
osesu96 said:
My curiosity has led me to ask the following: couldn't bio-diesel be used as an injector lubricant instead of two-stroke oil?

I'm just wondering since it's a lot cheaper than 8.50 a gallon for 2-stroke oil at Wally World.
You would think so. However I have noticed a huge difference in the quiteness and smoothness of the Cummins running TC-W3. I don't get the same effect running B5. Keep in mind I'm talking about the 24-valve common rail engines in the newer trucks. There's something about the TC-W3 oil that just clicks with this engine. I don't get the same effect running it in our TDIs.

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Believer, my brother in law confirmed that the heater IS already there and just needs the wires/harness. That will be installed tomorrow night. Hopefully we'll have time to install the nerf bars too.

I'm planning on using a B5 in the spring/summer....too bad I have to take a 2-3 hour road trip to find it (nearbio.com is great) and stock up.

I also took your (and my bro's) advice and picked up some TC-W3 (at Walmart), right again, ~$8.50.

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
tmlead,

DTR's pretty good, I joined a few days ago. Getting some good advice on tonneaus already.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
JustLuckey, you gotta post a pic of your new toy:D!

Oh, and nchapman is right, stay away from Banks. Mainly their tuning boxes are unreliable.

Another good place to go for cummins and dodge info is Turbo Diesel Register.

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i ran b100 in my brand new (at the time) 2006 dodge ram for about 8k miles until i sold it. There were no issues whatsover. A few times i went down to b50 when it was freezing a lot.
Go look up "smarty" too for a really good remapper.

JGordon

TDI
Jetta 2006 White DSG 53.75 all time high 43.5-44.5 average
Congratulations on your CTD! It was night and day difference in sound,:eek: when I first added 2-stroke oil in my 91 CTD.
Almost like someone put about ten blankets over the engine.

waldo22

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI, 1981 Caddy 1.6 IDI
You should be able to run B50 in the winter. I run B100 in my ALH Golf until temps get down to the 40s.

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm planning on getting a better pic, but with today's weather, this is the best I can do.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
GO to your local CUMMINS dealer for parts. They are WAY cheaper than DODGE. Block heater wirings are cheap... $12 + tax usually.

Ditto to the 2-cycle oil. I use MMO until my supply is gone. Then, it's back to 2 oil.

I am a member of Dieselram.com Great forum, great people, free membership.

I am also recommending Geno's Garage. Fast service, and they know their stuff.

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
As long as we're posting pics of our Dodges... :p

(deleted until I can figure out how to get the picture down to a reasonable size... )

The BFG mudders have since been replaced with stock 17"s and I removed the brush guard. Still needs some work, so it's a bit of a project, but runs well...

Ok... I have to ask... what's wrong with Banks stuff? :confused:

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Ian F said:
Ok... I have to ask... what's wrong with Banks stuff? :confused:
The only problem we've had w/them is their tuning box. The truck started to hesitate badly while towing all the way to the point where I was about to puke. We took it to multiple mechanics who had no luck finding the problem so we decided to drive all the way out to Colorado to take it to ATS. It then turned out to be the tuning box, unfortunately the hesitation damaged the turbo.

bnold

TDI
Sold 2011
tmleadr03 said:
www.dieseltruckresource.com The best cummins forum out there.
X2!! I am a very active member over there... bnold over there as well...

I have to do it cause its so easy and warranty friendly... Find somebody near you to try a Smarty! Most pleasurable box in the world for your truck! Really makes driving fun. Can be set for economy which has been proved time and again for 1-2MPG (umm ya that's alot for these trucks)... If smart one can run this box with the stock trans for a long long time without issues.. Before anything else GAUGES!!

As far as lubricity goes for you CP3, injectors, etc.. check out this link... ery cool test! I'm running Optilube- Summer blend right now..
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

I was one of those who said I would never mod my truck too! :D Many $$ later, she's a lot of fun!! Nothing like pulling up next to a Mustang or tuner at the drag strip and him flat out laugh at you for being there... Not too often he is laughing at the end!

If you have any questions bout the new ride I'll do my best to answer... If I dont know it I know lots that do!

Vid of my last dyno... First time I shot nitrous (small 75 shot)... Not much gain using the juice (the twins clean up so well anyways need to inject a little sooner to clean up the begining of the run)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qENVcSTjmyw

Best things to ever happen to my Dodge!!:

Last edited:

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
bnold said:
Extremely overpriced! Glae Banks himself, there are MUCH better products out there!!
Interesting... I'm still a long ways off before looking at engine mods... and with over 250K miles on the engine, I want to have it looked at before doing anything anyway. Plus, it's a 12V, so plugging in a power-box isn't an option...

I've been casually looking at the Banks 124hp PowerPack. Manifold, turbo, exhaust, pump plate, other odds & ends... online prices seem to be around $2700... I suppose I like the one-stop package idea rather than piecing a bunch of different manufacturer bits... I'm willing to pay a bit more for upgrades designed to work together. And I'd also rather do everything at once and be done.

I am a member of three different Cummins forums... and they all stink. TDR, Cumminsforums, Dodge-diesel.org/DieselTruckResource. Unfortunately, after being on TDIClub for so long, when I go to any of the Cummins forums, I find them severely lacking in good information with a lof of "Vortex-like" B.S. Their search functions all really stink... I wish just one of them had a comprehensive "FAQ" tab like we have here. I kind of find it funny how noone seems to complain that TDR is little more than an extension of Geno's Garage... Would be sort of like tdiparts.com starting their own forums and for-pay magazine...

Last edited:

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
bnold, if you are familiar with that test you cited, maybe you know whether they tested a sample of ULSD available at the pump (that is, after lubricity treatment). I wonder how well it rates compared to untreated fuel with aftermarket additives.

bnold

TDI
Sold 2011
mavapa said:
bnold, if you are familiar with that test you cited, maybe you know whether they tested a sample of ULSD available at the pump (that is, after lubricity treatment). I wonder how well it rates compared to untreated fuel with aftermarket additives.
The sample they used in that test was untreated to simulate a worse case scenario when a supplier cut corners to save costs..

Questions have been brought up as to how the treatments would react to the additives that 'should' be already in the fuel... More testing would have to be done to be sure, but I like the 'worse case scenario' type testing...

bnold

TDI
Sold 2011
Ian F said:
Interesting... I'm still a long ways off before looking at engine mods... and with over 250K miles on the engine, I want to have it looked at before doing anything anyway. Plus, it's a 12V, so plugging in a power-box isn't an option...

I've been casually looking at the Banks 124hp PowerPack. Manifold, turbo, exhaust, pump plate, other odds & ends... online prices seem to be around $2700... I suppose I like the one-stop package idea rather than piecing a bunch of different manufacturer bits... I'm willing to pay a bit more for upgrades designed to work together. And I'd also rather do everything at once and be done.

I am a member of three different Cummins forums... and they all stink. TDR, Cumminsforums, Dodge-diesel.org/DieselTruckResource. Unfortunately, after being on TDIClub for so long, when I go to any of the Cummins forums, I find them severely lacking in good information with a lof of "Vortex-like" B.S. Their search functions all really stink... I wish just one of them had a comprehensive "FAQ" tab like we have here. I kind of find it funny how noone seems to complain that TDR is little more than an extension of Geno's Garage... Would be sort of like tdiparts.com starting their own forums and for-pay magazine...
Hate you have had a bad experience at DTR... Overall it is a very family oriented site with many, many knowledgeable guys for all generation Cummins... Those who leave are unable to follow basic instructions and most are glad they move on (cursing, political talk another forum has been started for that, and personal attacks on other members are not tolerated).. I haven't been here long, but some of the threads I have read and some of the people here could sure take a lesson on being a decent human being... rant off.. :)

Anyways, for your case post up your questions on the first gen performance forum over there! The first gen guys are a really close knowledgeable group!! The one-stop package deals from Banks are enticing however there are MUCH better (better ie tested, dyno proven, reliable) combos to be put together.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
I am a member of dieselram.com

Great site. Highly knowledgeable folks, just like here!

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I have also found dieselram to be a solid, informative site. I have been running homebrew BD in my CTD with no issues not even any filter plugging {knock on wood] with B100 after 172k of straight D2 operation by former owner