JSW heater:looking ahead to colder weather...............

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
The 6M JSW TDI - at 1755 miles - generates no complaints from this sailor.

Given all time low temp near California's capital is 17F...................

Would the reported (within this site) lengthy heater warm up delay be taken care of by use of the effective seat heater units?

TIA,

ez

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
That's what I did in my 6 mile morning commutes this winter. I just put on a hoodie and turned on the "butt warmer" as my sister calls it. It's a similar climate to yours except for more humidity and rain.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
That's what I did in my 6 mile morning commutes this winter. I just put on a hoodie and turned on the "butt warmer" as my sister calls it. It's a similar climate to yours except for more humidity and rain.

Thanks GCG.

I hear you about humidity (went to radar school in Glynco, Georgia)

all the best, ez..............

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap

Would the reported (within this site) lengthy heater warm up delay be taken care of by use of the effective seat heater units?

TIA,

ez
When its cold, its cold. And the heated seats sometimes don't cut it. I installed a block heater in mine mostly just for comfort, but also to cut down on engine wear from really cold starts first thing in the am. With that said, these cars do have electronic coolant heaters, mostly for emissions to warm the motor up faster, but either way it does get warm pretty quickly, relative to say my 1Z engine from a 96 Passat. I'm not sure if all the CR TDIs have the auxiliary climate control heater from the factory, but I found out mine does a year into ownership. As long as you have the RPMs over 2000 and the climate fan on at least 3 with recirculation turned on, the aux heater will keep you warm till engine warmup. Plus, the extra electrical load will cause the motor itself to heat up quicker. Trust me, carry a hat and jacket in your car in the winter, and gloves if you prefer, but you will get used to it pretty quick.

Sent from my Bosch ECU via VAG COM

poweredbytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I have one winter in. The seat heater is a necessity. Short trips suck until the car is warmed up. Recirculate the air ASAP to allow the electric heat element work best at the beginning. There are plenty of posts about people using frost heaters or blocking the grill. Once heated up, it really cooks. Parking heaters are common in Europe but not in North America. The good news is you will probably adapt (like the rest of us).

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI SW 6spd Manual
If you have a route with a long steep hill on it, that will help. Mine warms up very quickly even when below 20deg. After about 5 miles, my temp is already up 3 clicks. I have a very long steep hill that can be a nightmare in the winter, but does help greatly in warming it up. If I take the alternate route from my house, without the hill, it takes 2x as long to heat up.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
There is heat within a minute or two in my car. Four winters now, real ones. If you turn your heater knob to the red dot an electric auxiliary heater kicks in. I think that feature still exists on your model. My wife uses the heated seat and says it's fast. I never have. There's no substantial difference in heat up between this car and all the gassers I've owned.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Do the mk6 Golfs have electric heater? I remember from last winter the heater being a tad underwhelming so I suspect no, but that might also just have been my instinct to not turn on the heat at all until the temp gauge is at least registering.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Do the mk6 Golfs have electric heater? I remember from last winter the heater being a tad underwhelming so I suspect no, but that might also just have been my instinct to not turn on the heat at all until the temp gauge is at least registering.
I've heard things on both sides. My 11 has one, but I'm not sure if they all came with them, or if it is just for cars going to the northern states, or if it came with the cold weather package. Its easy to find out. Take the car out while cold and keep the Rs over 2000 and crank the heater with recirc on and if you feel some warmth, you have it.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey

TIA,
ez
The Frostheater is about $125, fairly straight forward to install, and depending on ambient temp, it will heat your engine in 2 to 4 hours. See my thread or search these forums. I love it.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
I love my frost heater in my 2011. Its a tight spot to install, but not too bad. Just use lots of zip ties to make sure the added hoses will not come loose and hit the fans and leave you broken down somewhere. I will be ordering one for my 91 this winter.

Tweak3D

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
They all do (in the US and Canada anyways), but there are criteria for it to work. It doesn't come on at idle (I think it requires over 12-1500 RPM) due to the electrical load it puts on the alternator and you must have the heat turned all the way up. Even if it is one notch down, it will not use the electric heater.

My car is comfy within the first 2-3 miles and boiling hot within 5-6 even when its high single to low double digits. I do not block my grills or anything so take that as you will.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I wouldn't bother with a frost heater if your coldest temps are 17 F. Now if you see -17 F that's a different story. Either way I'd take a wait and see approach before putting one in.

My MKIV takes a long time to heat up (especially with the EGR delete).

Our MVI puts out heat very quickly.

theflyingturtle

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
We live in Sacramento and my wife adores the heated seats in the car. They warm up quickly and we think they are more than adequate for most of the climates in California. I have not taken it up to the Sierra Nevada Mountains in wintertime for an extended period of time so I don't know about that. Other than that we have been very happy with the heat output of the car.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
Winter is a long way off.............

........but I appreciate all the positive feedback (I will now fret less about being cold - - - I left Navy active duty after receiving orders to Alaska).

sign me a very relieved ez.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
I live in New England. No complaints about the heater from me.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
A low temp of 17°F? You have nothing to worry about. The car will do just fine.