Jordan's C5 Allroad --> BHW TDI

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V, 2006 Dmax, 2005 Allroad, 2005 BHW
After spending some seat time in my B4V, wrench time under the B4V, and hearing comments from the other half about how homeless we look whilst driving it, I knew it was time to start looking for a successor.
My mother drives a B6V 2.0T 6MT which is a very nice driving car so I had considered a B6 transplant like Steve, but with more advanced electronics and rust prone chassis, I pushed that aside.
I wanted a large wagon with good storage capacity so I started looking toward B5.5 wagons or the C5 A6/Allroad chassis. I love the B7 audi chassis as well but they're just a little small to be practical for me. Since I didn't particularly like the looks of the B5.5, I started looking for Allroads which was fuelled further by posts like @caffeine 's Allroad build. I realized that the Allroad is hot dip galvanized whereas the B5.5/B6 are just electroplated so it should be less rust prone than the Passat wagon counterparts.

From a size perspective, the Allroad is a winner as well:

________________________B4V____B5.5_____B6_____Allroad __A6V
Length (in)_______________181____184.3____188____189.3____179.4
Wheelbase (in)___________103.3__106.4____106.7___108.5____101.5
Rear cargo (ft^3)_________34.2____39_______35.8___36.4_____32.8
Front Track (in)___________57.5___59.6______61.1____62______60.7
Front headroom (in)_______38.2___37.8______38.3____37.5____38.4
Front shoulder room (in) ___55____55.8______55.7____58.6____54.8
Rear headroom (in)______38.3____37.9______38.6_____38.4___38.1
Rear shoulder room (in)___54_____54.6______54.6_____56.9___53.1
Curb weight (lb)_________3175___4593______4775____4244___3285

After daily searching for months, I was stoked to find a monochrome Allroad instead of the typical tupperware versions where the plastics are different colors. This is a 2.7T car with a 6MT and a blown clutch. The immediate plan is to get the car going with the 2.7T and a wrecker clutch (thanks @caffeine again!) so I can fix some of the bugs before embarking on the full swap. Unfortunately, many little bits are missing (both sway bars, rear under bumper trim, front strut tower brace, headlight washers, trunk carpet etc.). Thankfully, I've been able to collect quite a few of the items from a couple different trips to the wreckers. The car has been converted to coilovers as well so there are no airbag issues to chase at this point.

The plan is for a BHW/ 3.89 02X. Shortly after collecting the car, I was able to collect a 3.89 EUT diff and automatic Allroad driveline per the recipe from @caffeine. Him and I have been swapping 3D models of the 02X mounting brackets to suit the Allroad as well.

Little Datsun and big Audi

Then this happened a couple months later. A 2004 Passat with a blown trans/torque converter.

I was able to recoup some $$ by selling the S5 wheels off the Allroad with half cooked winters for $1000 and a spare set of (ironically 5x100) winters that came from the Passat for $300. After that, I needed to scare up a set of wheels to run on the Allroad. I have a set of forged C5 V8 wheels (17x8 +35) so I looked around for some suitable winter tires and stumbled on some studded Hakkapeliitta tires at a local dealer that were orphaned after a summer staycation and paid only $200 for the set! At 215/65/17, they're 1" taller than stock Allroad wheels (215/65/16) so that will provide some extra gearing advantage for the diesel.

When compared to the B4V 175/70/14s, they look HUGE!

For summer, I have a staggered set of R8 wheels to fit the Allroad (19x8.5 and 19x11 with 245/40/19 and 275/35/19). These should do the job of filling out the massive wheel wells!

A few weeks back, I was on the never ending hunt for parts when I stumbled upon an unloved Allroad being sold by a retired fellow that was sick of wrenching on it. It needs the engine out to fix exhaust leaks near the turbos, needs the front suspension arms gone through (new set provided), and has a slow leaking rear bag (spare set provided) and has a temperamental auto trans. Based on these issues, I got a pretty good deal on it and now have ALL the parts to fix the missing widgets on mine!
I convinced the gentleman to drive across from Vancouver Island on the ferry to deliver the car which was a huge help! It's tan on dark blue with black ish bumpers and is a pretty clean looking unit! Based on what I've seen so far, this could potentially be a better swap candidate... We will see.

My last trip the Pick n Pull in Calgary set me up with one of the required axles for the 02X swap, a set of C5 V8 rear aluminum knuckles with aluminum rear Lucas calipers for 269x22 vented rotors, and a set of large plunger BEW injectors (for future power build on the BHW)!

Needless to say, I'm INVESTED in the project now! I just need to spend the time getting all 3 of these cars the 500 miles from Dad at the coast up to my place so I can get to work on them!

More to come as it comes available. For now though, I'll keep miling out the B4V.

Last edited:

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
Also interested in seeing progress. I’ve owned both a B5 Passat wagon and a C5 Allroad, interior in the hatch is bigger on the B5, shoulder room in the C5 is bigger (but not much). Current owner of a A6 Sportwagen and I still miss the size of the B5.

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
Also interested in seeing progress. I’ve owned both a B5 Passat wagon and a C5 Allroad, interior in the hatch is bigger on the B5, shoulder room in the C5 is bigger (but not much). Current owner of a A6 Sportwagen and I still miss the size of the B5.
Thanks! I added the A6V to the upper chart for comparison's sake. Your comments on Caffeine's thread were further validation that this build was a good endeavour.

Koehn

TDI
2005 A4 Avant Quattro 6-Speed (AVF)
Glad to see you started your thread! And what a great looking wagon for a project. I'll definitely be following!

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I have yet to drive a converted c5 allroad with a 1.9/2.0 tdi engine, I only had 2.5 v6 tdi and the early models were a lot better to tune compared to later ones (solid alloy front intercooler and more potent vp44 pumps). I also think the 4 cyl engine is a toad too strung for moving the best part of 2 tonnes but probably a 250 bhp/500nm should be sufficient !
There is a reason why they never made a Quattro with the 4 cylinder Diesel engine, in detuned form is rather slow…

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
They made lots of quattros in Europe with the 4 cylinder TDI. Worth keeping in mind that the BHW makes only around 20 ft lbs less than the original 2.7T.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
They made lots of quattros in Europe with the 4 cylinder TDI. Worth keeping in mind that the BHW makes only around 20 ft lbs less than the original 2.7T.
They Did make quattros with 4 cyl Diesel engines but they were 16 valves and cross flow engines(pd and cr). They also had better turbos than the asthmatic gt1749va as well. Personally I had a b6 2004 1.9 tdi Quattro and that had a lot of weight savings compared with same model v6 tdi…

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
They Did make quattros with 4 cyl Diesel engines but they were 16 valves and cross flow engines(pd and cr). They also had better turbos than the asthmatic gt1749va as well. Personally I had a b6 2004 1.9 tdi Quattro and that had a lot of weight savings compared with same model v6 tdi…
Not what I had in mind.. I was thinking more specifically of the B7 BPW engine which is almost identical to the BHW including being 8V and including the same turbo.

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
I’m meeting up with this fella ^ next week so can provide some feedback on the seat of the pants feeling!

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
I took caffeine’s car for a spin today and I have to say that it’s rekindled my project motivation!

It moves along just fine despite its girthy size. More power is always nice but it certainly is capable of earning plenty of fast driving awards!

I’ll hopefully have my car mobile again this weekend so that I can drive it back and start fixing some of the bugs and further planning for diesel goodness!

miniCotulla

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B5 1.9TDI PD
The B6 1.9tdi was 8V with 1749VA just like any othe 130hp PD. The Passat came with that engine and quattro too and weighs as much as an A6.

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a busy weekend down on the coast a few weeks ago... completed timing belt on 2.7T, finished connecting/filling etc after having the engine out previously for the clutch replacement. I spent some time playing with wheels and tires as well. A while back I found a set of Forged Fuchs Macan wheels which are 5x112, 18x8 +21 and 18x9 +21 which are obviously ideal for the Allroad. With that said, they were adopted and have a better home now. I really like how they look and the price was right. Ironically, they're lighter than the C5 V8 wheels I currently have winters on (they're 17x8 @ 11.2kg vs both Macans @ 10.0kg). For now though, they will hang on the wall as I got tires mounted on the R8 wheels. 19x8.5/19x11 with 245/40 and 275/35 (height matched) tires.

I discovered just how garbage aftermarket CV shafts fit during my reassembly. The shaft flanges have no piloting on the output shafts and the pilots are ~1/4" loose on diameter. I used a pair of mowed down flat head cap screws to pilot the flanges concentrically with the bolts while I installed the OE bolts. Once the OE bolts were snug, the flat heads can be removed and replaced with OE bolts. Seems to work alright in a pinch. I have a collection of OEM axles for the 02X swap though!

Here's how the car looks with 215/65/17 winters on. I still have some height tweaking to do.

Unfortunately, I discovered that a head gasket on the 2.7 leaks during my 600 mile trip home so the car was ditched for a staycation at a friend's place midway. At purchase, it was so crippled with the clutch that I couldn't even test drive it. Without sustained boost driving around the city, there did not appear to be anything amiss when I initially drove it around.
I'm kicking myself for wasting time and $$ on fluids,TB, used clutch etc. trying to build a driver before the diesel swap but you live and learn.

I picked up a 65K mile 02X during this trip as well so I am getting closer to having a suitable parts collecting for a diesel goon!
I rebuilt the shift linkage with an Aliexpress bushing and it fit mint! For $10, you can't go too far wrong. OEM is ~$100 CAD to my door.

In a couple weeks, I'll go pick up the car and trailer it home. More to come then