Jetta TDLie - Question about class action lawsuits

sbh1973

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Class Action Update

I came across this piece today:

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=1210090DTBM7

It largely confirms what I wrote in October: this is a slam-dunk case that will likely yield a considerable payout for TDI owners. The fraud is admitted and egregious. The judge supervising the consolidated case is threatening to begin the trial this summer if VW doesn't come up with a fix within a month - they just received an extension. It's increasingly unlikely that the cars can be fixed in a way that satisfies the EPA and owners. In the end, VW is just going to have to pay - a lot - to individual owners. My guess is we'll eventually see checks between $2,000-$4000.00, the price of the diesel premium and some lost value.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
ndo this controversy.
If the engineers figured out how to trick the dynamometer hope it can adjust the programming to alter fuel to air to gas mixture and make it all right.
Since the car met the standard when operating in "test" mode, they obviously can. But that raises the question as to why they installed the cheat in the first place.

What did test mode sacrifice that was unacceptable?
1. Performance-as in the car is a dog to drive in test mode. The EPA tests specify acceleration at unrealistically slow rates. So a totally emasculated car would still meet the EPA standards for acceleration; but nobody would buy it after a test drive.
2. In test mode, perhaps the additional fuel and additional EGR would cause the DPF to clog prematurely, raising warranty claims (80k miles on emissions equipment) to levels unacceptable to VW. Some of the information regarding the 23O6 updates supports this view.
3. As I understand it, test mode delivers the same fuel economy as the EPA estimates, since I think fuel economy is calculated from CO2 on the test cycle. But I could have my head up my butt on this one.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
What is wrong with you people? THERE IS NO REASON TO RID YOURSELF OF YOUR CAR! You act like it is going to explode or something? Jesus, get a clue. The sky is not falling! What a bunch of crybabies. Yes, let's bring lawyers into this. That will certainly help. NOT. :mad::rolleyes:
amen...i had no issue selling my 2011 jetta with 225k on it for more then it was likely worth...then i went and bought a treg tdi because im not scared and i dont give a crap i love tdis

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I didn't want to start a new thread, but hadn't noticed a good place here to share this until now. I've received two of these from ambulance chasers. I don't recall the first one because I probably glanced at it and tossed it. But I opted to open this one:

Stamped on the outside of the envelope... Fear mongering?

Here's the letter, which explains why CR TDIs are not legal to drive in VA due to the way the law is written...

Hell, that describes almost every coal-roller in the state! Only CR TDIs have the label, though... damned by VIN. I think any customer that's unable to register their TDI due to Dieselgate should get a buyback. But, for now, I don't think this is going to stop anyone from registering any time soon. I'm not "damaged" unless or until I'm unable to register.

I'm sitting tight and waiting to see what VW does to remedy this, if anything, and whether VA will actually block the registrations of thousand of CR TDI owners. Tick-tock... ;)

Scott

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I expect the courts will approve this solution: VW will establish a minimum price for your vehicle if traded in plus a coupon worth $2-3,000 IF you buy a new VW from a dealer.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Stealth, if that letter or anything of the sort showed up in a Canadian owner's mail box, the first place I would be calling is the Law Society of Upper Canada to inquire about how to file a complaint about that law firm. I know the laws concerning professional conduct are different between US and Canada but I still suspect that they are crossing the line.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Ya, I don't think that letter is ethical at all. I think I got a lawyer letter early on which wasn't as strongly worried.

I wonder how these guys are getting our names and addresses?

-J

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
I wonder how these guys are getting our names and addresses?
-J
My only concern whatsoever with the EHRMERGERD VW emissions / kitten killing / yelling at old people / squishing ladybugs "scandal" is how the heck did all these lawyers get my name and address to fill my mailbox with junk mail?

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
What is wrong with you people? THERE IS NO REASON TO RID YOURSELF OF YOUR CAR! You act like it is going to explode or something? Jesus, get a clue. The sky is not falling! What a bunch of crybabies. Yes, let's bring lawyers into this. That will certainly help. NOT. :mad::rolleyes:
But but but. I bought my car as an investment vehicle. I expected it to rise in value as I drove it, now VW comes along and dashes those hopes.

I'm a victim and I demand redress. In no particular order:

A check for what I feel my car is worth
A check for all operating costs since purchase
A safe space

That is all.

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Hello,

I didn't want to start a new thread, but hadn't noticed a good place here to share this until now. I've received two of these from ambulance chasers. I don't recall the first one because I probably glanced at it and tossed it. But I opted to open this one:

Stamped on the outside of the envelope... Fear mongering?

Here's the letter, which explains why CR TDIs are not legal to drive in VA due to the way the law is written...

Hell, that describes almost every coal-roller in the state! Only CR TDIs have the label, though... damned by VIN. I think any customer that's unable to register their TDI due to Dieselgate should get a buyback. But, for now, I don't think this is going to stop anyone from registering any time soon. I'm not "damaged" unless or until I'm unable to register.

I'm sitting tight and waiting to see what VW does to remedy this, if anything, and whether VA will actually block the registrations of thousand of CR TDI owners. Tick-tock... ;)

Scott
Hello Neighbor. I'm just up the street in Williamsburg. To answer your question is it Fear mongering, it's exactly that. Read those three provisions in 46.2-1048 in the letter again carefully. I believe the attorney is misrepresenting. What those three sections tell me is that as long as the consumer, has not deleted or "rendered inoperable" the factory pollution control, then we are good to go. Virginia would have to completely change the law to not allow registration for specific vehicles.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Agreed! It will be a big deal if any state denies registration of these vehicles in the future, especially a non-CARB state such as VA.

rd17vwtdi

TDI
2012 Golf TDi
Someone should seriously go slap that lawyer...preferably with a little baby-powder sprinkled on their hand. :p

He's doing more than just misrepresenting, he's flat out purposely trying to scare people into acting.

His middle paragraph about how No one should drive a vehicle with its Pollution Control System or device removed or otherwise rendered inoperable doesn't even apply to the TDi's.

The Emissions systems HAVE NOT been removed nor are they inoperable, just obviously don't work like their supposed to..

Last edited: