Jetta MK6 and the Torque App for Android via ELM327 OBDII Adapter

Jack Diesel

TDI
2011 VW Jetta
How do you reset all the data on the torque app? Is there a way or it just gets all the readings from the ECU? I want to reset the mpg average on torque. It keeps going up since I filled up the tank and it's unrealistic high.

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
If you press and hold a gauge, the "Item Options" menu pops up and you can select "Reset recorded min/max/times" to reset it. I reset my MPG (trip) gauge each fill up.

If you're looking to reset ALL of them, hit your phone's "Menu" button and select "Reset Trip Counters."
I hope one of those is the answer you were looking for.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
For the people that are running an ELM 327 dongle, did you guys relocate the car's obd port so that the dongle does not stick out as much?
It's kinda close to the foot rest and I would not want to hit it!
Fede
The wife and I took off for a little trip last Monday, and I got out the cell phone to use TorquePro, but the Elm327 module was gone. It wasn't on the floor, so the only thing I could conclude was that had been kicked by one of us getting out of the car and lost out the door. Pretty sure it wasn't me, but smart enough to bring up that subject. Got to order another one from Amazon then figure out a way to fasten it securely into the port.
A week later:
Hate to say it, but I found the old ELM 327 dongle on the floor on the driver's side. It's the same color as the HD floor mats in the car, and with the good light while I was looking for it I missed it. I won't live this down for awhile. :eek:

Last edited:

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I'm guessing this goes against the nature of Bluetooth entirely, but I wish to read my ELM327 on TWO phones simultaneously. I can get both to do it, but not at the same time. I don't suppose there is a way? :confused:

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
I don't think that is possible, dozen. I switched between phones a couple times and whenever that is done I always have to repair with the second device. The first one always loses connection when I do that. For the people asking about the placement of the dongle, I bought a 1 ft OBDII extension cable and just stuffed the whole thing in the fuse box under the light switch with a little sticky tape. It has been in there since I got my car 1.5 months ago no issues!

branney

TDI
A4 B5 1.9 115PS
i did see one..

i did see one product which said it would mirror on to a 2nd display, but i guess you want 2 different displays? can't remember which product it was, but presumably while the OBD2 can only bluetooth to one phone, that phone is still free to bluetooth to another device simultaneously, so in theory it could relay data across to another phone to show different data, rather than just streaming what it is currently displaying

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
.. while the OBD2 can only bluetooth to one phone, that phone is still free to bluetooth to another device simultaneously, so in theory it could relay data across to another phone to show different data, rather than just streaming what it is currently displaying
That won't work. The second device will want to read different PIDs. Plus, I'm not sure if there's enough info returned from a PID read for a second device to know what PID was just read just from the response.

You could set up your other gauges on a different screen, and there might be a way to display that second screen on a second device when it isn't being displayed on the primary device.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I don't know whether this would work with a single ELM interface to the OBD bus. It would rely on Torque (or some other program) to relay the Bluetooth traffic to a second phone or pad.

But if you look at the X-gauge instructions for ScanGauge you'll see that the OBD responses repeat part of the request as an identifier. If you have two separate devices, and both requesting devices handle the bus responsibly ( correctly), then it should be possible to have more than one monitoring device on the bus. ScanGauges explicitly allow daisy-chaining.

Alternatively, you could send all requests from one device, and distribute the filters/listeners over both.

Last edited:

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I'm guessing this goes against the nature of Bluetooth entirely, but I wish to read my ELM327 on TWO phones simultaneously. I can get both to do it, but not at the same time. I don't suppose there is a way? :confused:
Supposed to be able to.
I just saw something about it, no if I could only remember where... Maybe in the settings.

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
Your phone or tablet can connect to multiple Bluetooth devices at once, but I don't think the ELM327 bluetooth slave unit can connect to multiple masters at once. However, I recall there being some upgrade in Torque to pass the data along to another device, but maybe I'm dreaming. I'm not sure I see the value anyway.. a tablet has too large of a screen.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I see everything except engine oil press and temp, will it display that.

Old unanswered question, but I believe IF the car meausres it, you can get a "gauge" to display it. There is no option for DPF soot and ash load, but I suspect if you knew the magic custom PIDs and how to enter them, you could get that.

Anyway, I just came in here to update that FWIW, I am still on my first original ELM327 dongle and it has essentially lived in the OBDII slot for the last 27 months, working daily for what I would estimate a good 4000+ hours of total operation. I've used it in 5 other cars and diagnosed 2 cels/problems with on my 2011 Jetta. All while talking to the same 2011 Android phone. So worth what I spent. :) And so reliable I take it for granted. :eek:

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
While driving to work this morning my Adapter threw a bunch of "errors" and a message across the screen in Torque that it was faulty. Guess I will be ordering a new one.

Anyone have a recent link to a "good" adapter that works?

Pilot91

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
I bought the OBD2 scan tool from BAFX on Amazon (listed above) and I cannot get it to communicate to the ECU. Has anyone else had this problem?
I've tried plugging and unplugging, altering the settings in Torque app, turning the car on and off, etc. No luck...

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Did you allow/coordinate BT connection in the phone settings with the adapter? "pairing" they call it....

Pilot91

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Did you allow/coordinate BT connection in the phone settings with the adapter? "pairing" they call it....

Yes, everything was paired. When you look under "Adapter Status" on the TorquePro app, everything was green except for "Connection to ECU"

Update: It was just a bad adapter, the new one just arrived and connected right away!

Last edited: