Jetta 2 year Fuel records.

mikeb95

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 TDI pkg. 2, DSG white/beige
Nice sheet, I am doing the same but in a notebook that I keep in the glovebox, guess I need to spend some time and reproduce it electronically.

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
What, no PivotTable? :rolleyes:

Just kidding. I use a very similar spreadsheet! Also included a gasoline cost comparison at the time entry points when I bought diesel - just to show monthly cost savings vs. driving my 14 mpg chevy truck.
But I've also used it to compare what kind of mileage I'd need to get out of a gasser to achieve equal cost savings to the TDI, as fuel costs climb.

Let's just say, choices in a gasser would be... slim.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Nice electronic fuel/mileage/cost details. Since new I too have gathered similar use details, although I'm not experiencing such exemplary MPG performance. . . . . . Way to go with 50 MPG!

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
I have one, but it is not nearly as well made...lol

Maybe I will "steal" yours and paste my data in to it...:D

IBWALT

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I got tired of keeping up with fuel purchases and mileage in the notebook that I keep in the glove compartment. So I resurrected an old Palm III and loaded this small program on it. http://linkesoft.com/automobil/ Works great and all of the info about mileage and cost per mile that you could ever want.

Walt

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I used to track my mpg's in a spread sheet as well. But once I was consistently getting 42 mpg every tank I stopped. I can guess what my mpg will be when fueling up and get withing 1-2 mpg every time based on where the fuel gauge is and the trip millage.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
I have just been writing my current mileage and tank mileage at the top of my receipts ever since I bought the car and throw them in the center console, when I get an accumulation in the center console I just take them all in the house sit down at the computer and punch them into my spreadsheet. Then I throw them all in to a big manila envelope.

GregoryB

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Grey, Package2, DSG, VAG-COM
My fuel records

This is my fuel/repair spreadsheet for my TDI. I think it is complete. And yes, you can see my fuel economy is all over the place instead of the up-up-up of the continual highway cruiser TDI. This is the result of city/highway driving.

Last edited:

slauso

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey everyone....just filled up today...went 1075.5kms on 50.5 liters.That works out to 60.05mpg. The best part is that this is 60% highway and 40% city going back and forth to work.I have changed my driving habits a little.I do not drive faster than the posted speed......do not race anyone to a stop sign/traffic light and if I see a slow down ahead I take my foot of the go pedal to avoid stopping if possible.My car has just under 48000kms(30k miles).
The 60.05mpg cdn gal works out to ~50mpg for the US gal.Either way its great.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
How is it that some of you guys are getting 50 mpg? I can't seem to eek out 46+ no matter what. Mostly highway and driving the speed limit or less..... That being said, sometimes I will just check my mileage by dividing my odo by my pumped gallons on my cell phone and that's only every now and then.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
dhdenney said:
How is it that some of you guys are getting 50 mpg? I can't seem to eek out 46+ no matter what. Mostly highway and driving the speed limit or less..... That being said, sometimes I will just check my mileage by dividing my odo by my pumped gallons on my cell phone and that's only every now and then.
Does not seem like you are too far off. What is your tire PSI, and do you coast down to stops? I have done a best of 49 Hwy only, and others have seen 53, but no worries here.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SBAtdijetta said:
Does not seem like you are too far off. What is your tire PSI, and do you coast down to stops? I have done a best of 49 Hwy only, and others have seen 53, but no worries here.
Tire pressue is 45, max 45 for the tire. I always coast to a stop and do not clutch til about 900 rpm.

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
The very best I have measured is 44 mpg with 25K on the clock. However, my 2001 with the old automatic transmission regularly gets 48 to 50.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I filled up today trying to preempt a price spike on diesel fuel. I calculated 45.66 MPG and even counted the amount of my additive.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
dhdenney said:
Step 1. Get a gauge that tells you when you are getting good mileage or $#!++y mileage (such as the MFD in the PKG 2 cars, or a scanguage).

Step 2. Watch and learn ways to make the gauge show the highest possible mileage.

Step 3. Smile as you watch your tank averages go up.

I have found that the easiest time to get the best mileage numbers is after the summer fuel changeover but before the temp goes up too much and you have to use the A/C. Also in the fall before the changeover to winter blend fuels occurs.