JCB Dieselmax Car Sets Diesel Engine Land Speed Record

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
And in today's news, JCB is bidding to buy Jaguar from Ford Motor Co.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
What's really astounding is that for the 11 mile run where they hit a top speed of just over 360 mph they used ONE GALLON of fuel. And they were only in 5th gear... they haven't tried the 6th gear yet. Gee, 11 miles per gallon is better than a Hummer.

erikb

Actually they hit an average of 350mph now! And this was the first completely computer designed car to run it.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Well, holding enough fuel shouldn't be a problem :D I think the two will go neck and neck, with no decisive winner as technology advances and the top speed obtainable with a "reasonable" vehicle levels off. We win with low speed torque, so gear it right and I think we might have the edge.

At those speeds tho, its more about wind resistance, and not about the engines ability, so identical molds would be needed for real comparison.

Ark Angel

That aint a car thats an old F104 you cheating swine ;)
We could just pul thewings of anold BAE Lightning and probably do 900mph

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
"Green drove a vehicle powered by two diesel engines that have a combined total of 1,500 horsepower. Each is a 4-cylinder, 4.4-liter engine used commercially as a backhoe loader."

I can't figure why they didn't use the 3 wheel designs...would have gone a lot faster as they are more slipstreamed.

Actually, from the article (yahoo one above), it looks like TIRES are the limiting factor...

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
World's Fastest Diesel

JCB Diesel Max
http://www.jcbdieselmax.com/html/home.php

350.092MPH / 563.418 kph

Technical Specification
Engine -
Two JCB444 common rail injection diesel, bored and stroked to 5000 cc, dry sumped and inclined at 10 degrees. Twin compound turbochargers with twin compound intercoolers. Ice tank cooling (capacity 180 litres)
Power - 750 bhp (560 KW) at 3800 rpm
Torque - 1105 lb.ft (1500 Nm) at 2000 rpm
Fuel tank Capacity - 9 litres
Transmissions -
Forward transmission and final drive connected to forward engine;
rear transmission and final drive unit connected to rear engine.
Six-speed barrel-shift transmissions driven through torsional dampers and oil-immersed multi-plate clutches.
Steering Rack and pinion, to front wheels
Brakes Split circuit; unique design carbon rotors and twin stators.Exhaust brakes for front and rear engines, manually operated twin parachutes.
Suspension Independent all round via twin wishbones, coil springs and hydraulic dampers
Chassis Hybrid square steel tube spaceframe with bonded carbon composite panels
Body Aerodynamically designed - cdA <0.15m2; carbon composite materials
Wheels and Tires 23 x 15, Goodyear Dimensions
Length 9091mm
Width 1145mm
Height 979mm (to top of canopy, at run speed) 1337mm (to top of fin)
Front track 800mm
Rear Track 600mm
Wheel Base 5878mm
Weight 2700kg including fuel, oil, ice and water coolant and drive

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Ark Angel said:
That aint a car thats an old F104 you cheating swine ;)
We could just pul thewings of anold BAE Lightning and probably do 900mph
Newbie maybe, but how old are you? I am 50+ and the only reason I knew about the Brititsh BAE Lightening Jet was I came across it in my books years back.

For those not in the know, that was one seriously hot rod jet, it had twin engines, stacked one on top of the other. Sort of the equivalant of the F104 (smae original mission, i.e. a full tilt boey hot rod inteceptor, and please do not ask us to dog fight-though the Lightening was probably the better of the two at that).

Quite the piece of flyihng machine.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
erikb said:
Actually they hit an average of 350mph now! And this was the first completely computer designed car to run it.
Sort of takes all the fun out of it though, no hot rodding or chipping this one, they are way ahead on that!

For those not fully in the know, JCB has made dirt moving machinery for years (Backhoes and such) and has been looking at making their own diesel engines for years (keep the bucks in the company and not give them to someone else, i.e. the vertical integrated approach). It’s a logical move, but a huge commitment if you have no background in doing so (they never have, always someone else’s engine, unlike John Deere) and very much more so in this emissions age.

They finally decided to make the jump into it, their is a 4.4L engine, low speed and hp (no more than 125hp I believe) and plenty of torque to survive and give the needed ooomph in the day in day out hard operational world of a working machine.

Ricardo engineering designed the engine and helped setup the factory to make the engine (in England, so it can be done not in the third world). Along with the usual issues, it had to be capable of meeting all the future emissions Tiers. One of those major undertakings that tells you it can be done, and you don't have to third world it out.

Like most engines, a lot of the systems are made by someone else, fuel injection, turbos, power pumps, alternators, air intake system etc. But the core of the engine is theirs. I admire them for that.

They have gone onto supply it for pumps, generators etc to broaden the base, and have been successful at that as well.