It's got a cop motor, a 120-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, etc

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I can't read what town that is.

Sure beats years ago when Rabbit's were made here in PA and I believe they forced some on the state police.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I think they bought it because the officers drive long distances home and to work, which the town taxes pay for... They are gonna poop their pants when they get the maintenance bill on those, or some newbie officer misfuels it. Brake jobs require pads and rotors, oil changes are pretty pricey at the dealership, and no one in that small town on the police department has heard of VW 507.00 oil. TDI's aren't fore every one.

Niner

Sponsored by VW with a plant in the same state?

A 3 square mile town doing a single 248 mile road test for 54 MPG? What does that tell you? Hauling prisoners daily? :eek: The peace officers I know usually live a couple of counties and jurisdictions away from the one they work in. These officers drive their patrol cars home. May as well call it a company car at tax payers expense.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's pretty cool. I think I will invite them to TDIFest.

I'm pretty impressed that an American police department would consider a FWD diesel sedan for police duty... I hope this starts a trend. I think the Passat could end up making a great cruiser for a lot of departments.

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
LOVE the thread title! :)

A 3 square mile town doing 254 mile road tests? What does that tell you? Hauling prisoners daily? :eek: The peace officers I know usually live a couple of counties and jurisdictions away from the one they work in.
Sounds like it was a test when they were deciding which vehicle to buy.

Anyway, Belle Meade is a very affluent suburb of Nashville and based on the people I know living there, the eco-conscious factor of the TDI was likely a large consideration. The PD there probably has a relatively friendly budget as well, the town residents are the gated community, full monitored security system, cameras, private security etc etc types. I live nearby in a less affluent area and even here the PD seems to be very well staffed and well funded.

So, having a 600+ mile tank range, nice power in town, good driving characteristics, great fuel economy, great environmental specs and being built just a few hundred miles away probably made the Passat TDI an easy decision. :)

Hoping to see that cruiser soon! (hopefully not in my rearview...)

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Oh and you no longer can use the excuse, "Hey it is a diesel, there is now way I could have been going that fast!" rational. ;)

04Wagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004.5 Jetta Wagon 5spd Tip, Black Leather on Spice Red.
Cool, I wonder if the car is stock or if it has a few goodies added for handling and the extra weight for the equipment?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
they should slap some "45mpg" "green clean diesel" stickers on it.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I just got an email reply from the Chief of Police in Belle Meade... he's going to try to bring one of their Passat TDI patrol cars to TDIFest. :cool: :D

Niner

I just got an email reply from the Chief of Police in Belle Meade... he's going to try to bring one of their Passat TDI patrol cars to TDIFest. :cool: :D
That's one TDI passat you don't want a "ride in the back seat" in. ;)

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
Ya think having the assembly plant down the street had something to do with their decision?

I mean, I think it's really cool, but...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Ya think having the assembly plant down the street had something to do with their decision?

I mean, I think it's really cool, but...
They're supporting their local industry by buying a car produced in their state, while using less than half the petroleum, potentially reducing operating costs (they expect maintenance costs to be comparable to their Chargers, while getting far better fuel economy), and it sounds like officer comfort may be improved.

And, it looks like they're only buying these when other cruisers are due to be replaced.

I fail to see the problem here - it seems to be a careful approach, that's accepting of modern technology, supportive of the local economy, and saves the taxpayers money.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Fuel usage of a diesel at idle is significantly less than a gasser. DEF use is generally linear with fuel consumption... the car will have to do more regens if it idles a lot (active rather than passive) and that will hit the fuel economy a little bit. Overall it will be leaps and bounds better than their Chargers no matter how you slice it.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
However, hard acceleration when they're NOT idling may make up for the idling somewhat.

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Pretty cool... didn't notice anything about any engine mods. "Cop motor"? Indeed, mixed driving isn't going to produce the numbers they are spewing about but... it's all part of the politics. I'll take this at face value as it's a small step in a direction we've all grown to appreciate. VW TDI's are largely dismissed, or worse ignored, and a bit of recognition doesn't hurt.