Its been a long long time...

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
Its been a long long time...Is that George Jones or Conway Twitty ? Hey folks been a while . TDI Jetta is still kicking . Have a few questions for the seasoned veterans of the Forum. Turbo is still firing baby. Pissing off a lot of road rage drivers trying to get one car length ahead ,haha
New shocks , new front end . drives great. Lately though the rubber bushings in the front end have started to squeak. Also when I hit bumps the shocks dont know which one yet makes a hard hitting sound like PLOCK. This sound was evident when my rear shock mounts were bad . Those I have replaced recently. Actually I think I replaced them twice , not sure.
Is there a lube or other product like belt dressing or something to stop the squeak? How bout the PLOCK?

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Well, the only one by that title I know is sung by Kitty, and I don't mean Wells:
You're probably thinking of Hello Darlin' which was recorded by both Jones and Twitty, but the line is actually just "it's been a long time."
😄
Anyway, I'm no seasoned vet, but I'm guessing you've got some hardware that's loose up front causing your "plock." Bushings could probably be sprayed with some silicone lube to keep them from squeaking.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I'd suspect the sway bar bushings for the squeak. You can break out the WD40 and hit them with it. If it still squeaks, try it on another pair of bushings, such as the front LCA bushings. Thing is to keep going, one at a time, until the squeaks stop. Then you'll know which ones are the issue.

You should not hear a hard KNOCK, obviously. Check for something loose (or broken). To try to isolate which side, you could find a parking lot with a speed bump or nice pothole and drive over it, one front tire at a time.

I prefer the Conway Twitty version of that song, but George Jones overall. Plus Conway wouldn't think twice about hitting on your wife.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Crank up Conway Twitty’s “It’s only make believe” and don’t worry about it

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 springs break quite often. 3 of the 4 mk4s I've owned had broken springs or broke shortly after owning.
They tend to break about 3 inches from the end.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 springs break quite often. 3 of the 4 mk4s I've owned had broken springs or broke shortly after owning.
They tend to break about 3 inches from the end.
Ooh.. didnt know that. I have replaced all front end parts . It initally performed beautifully after install. Now when I hit certain bumps I here a hard knock, thats troubling me. Thanks for the info!

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd suspect the sway bar bushings for the squeak. You can break out the WD40 and hit them with it. If it still squeaks, try it on another pair of bushings, such as the front LCA bushings. Thing is to keep going, one at a time, until the squeaks stop. Then you'll know which ones are the issue.

You should not hear a hard KNOCK, obviously. Check for something loose (or broken). To try to isolate which side, you could find a parking lot with a speed bump or nice pothole and drive over it, one front tire at a time.

I prefer the Conway Twitty version of that song, but George Jones overall. Plus Conway wouldn't think twice about hitting on your wife.
Thanks for the info , I'll whoop out the ol Chicken Lube. I like the Conway version myself and please take my wife !

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish one of them did a rendition of that as a mean drunk who finally tracked down his ex-wife. The music video would have been epic.
Hey just come to The Sugar Shack bar in Rockport and you'll see a live rendition unfold before your eyes along with other debauchery !

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, the only one by that title I know is sung by Kitty, and I don't mean Wells:
You're probably thinking of Hello Darlin' which was recorded by both Jones and Twitty, but the line is actually just "it's been a long time."
😄
Anyway, I'm no seasoned vet, but I'm guessing you've got some hardware that's loose up front causing your "plock." Bushings could probably be sprayed with some silicone lube to keep them from squeaking.
Great post , and some good info! Breakout thee Chicken Lube !

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI

Well, you know I have replaced all the shocks . I replaced the rear shock mounts . New bearings all around. whole front end kit.
The only thing I didnt replace was the sway bars. These are plastic ! Unbelievable! Your right that could be the source of the squeaking.
I still hear a hard knock when I hit certain bumps. Now when the rear strut mounts were bad it was like a bad pogo stick whacking away.
This has me stumped , I Believe its coming from the front end. I am going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow to put it on a lift , see if they can find the problem. Any info before tomorrow would be helpful thanks.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
... and a rubber grommet in each end, which are unlikely to be squeaking.
Well upon further review I am replacing the sway bar links with metal ones from Moog. One thing I overlooked is the top front strut mounts. These are hard rubber mounts for the top of the front shock. I am replacing with Monroe. Which is probably the source of my hard knock when I hit a bump . I am also replacing the Tension assembly and serpentine belt by Gates which I know is bad. and the alternator by Bosch because its probably never been changed in 317'000 miles .
Today I had my new aluminum rim put on the right front tire and had a chance to look at the sway bar links and so on. The new rim seemed to take care of the of the vibration I was experiencing at around 60 mph. The rim I got on Ebay from a business out of Houston that refurbishes aluminum rims. The other parts on Rockauto , at a huge savings. So far so good. Thanks for everyone's help, greatly appreciated.