Is this R32 bumper cover legal in the US

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Well, the R32 bumper is (OEM 1 has the side markers) and the car was sold here, so it should/would be legal.

I'm pretty sure all MK4's come with the side repeaters up on the fender, so you will still have a visible side indicator.

As for the aftermarket bumper covers w/out side markers, I think that may depend on your specific state/municipality. Time to search your Motor vehicle website.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
I'm pretty sure all MK4's come with the side repeaters up on the fender, so you will still have a visible side indicator.
The repeaters are for the turn signals, the side markers are running lights. One doesn't replace the other, they do different things.

As for the aftermarket bumper covers w/out side markers, I think that may depend on your specific state/municipality. Time to search your Motor vehicle website.
I guess every state is different, but I wouldn't think it's a huge deal. Perhaps if they were there and didn't work then maybe, but if they are aren't there on a 15 year old car my guess is you wouldn't have an issue. If it was an issue, you could wire the repeaters as running lights since repeaters are not required but side markers are.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I would say its legal but they are missing the side marker lights, not really a big deal.

You do have to trim the bumper foam, it won't fit with the factory one in there. I just installed one on my wife's wagon. I have a Cupra R lower lip to put on when it warms up.

Last edited:

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
The repeaters are for the turn signals, the side markers are running lights. One doesn't replace the other, they do different things.
DOH!! I thought those side markers acted as turn signals, I guess I've always been in mine or following one of them limping its way home. Thanks for the correction.