Is this a good jack choice?

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
Debating between these two jacks (2-ton and 3-ton) and wondering if I'll have a problem with the rails (ie. will the jack head fit without problems). The 2-ton kit is nice, as it comes with the chocks and stands, but it seems a little less popular.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...Lift%2BJack.jsp?locale=en#tab_page_reviews_li

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...%2B2-Ton%2BJack%2B%2526%2BStand.jsp?locale=en

I'm mainly just looking for a reliable and safe jack for swapping tires. Kind of scared of the VW jack after reading so many "widow maker" horror stories.

Thanks in advance.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
The aluminum one's nice... One finds a similar (if not identical) one on sale at Harbor Freight or Princess Auto for under $100 from time to time...

That said, if you just want to change tires and do lightweight stuff, I used a $20 WalMart Special - with a 2x4 cushion under the pinch welds - in conjunction with WalMart Special jackstands for a long time... very similar to the second of the O.P.'s links... just don't forget the 2x4...

Yuri

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Anything you get from China Tire Corporation is going to be suspect, but when it comes to floor jacks, as a DIY user, just about anything with a warranty is good enough. What you DO have to be concerned with owning a VW is will it fit under the car? If you are going to lift only for tire changes by the pinch welds on the rocker sill there is another conern: the tiny pad on that one would not be very stable (thinking of the 2x4 comment - but be careful with THAT - since they tend to split along the grain if using softwoods). If you are lifting a complete "end" of the car (i.e. front crossmember) this is where the jack must fit under, or you must drive up on some 2x6s for ramps to let it and then the handle must be long enough - and the jack stroke short enough - to be able to actually lift it with the jack under the crossmember.

I have some rubber padded lifting surface aluminum jacks that do a fine job for most stuff (Michelin is one brand), but too big to go underneath without help. I also have one "racing jack" that will fit with no ramps.

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback! Decided to try out the pricier Michelin jack and it seems like it'll be perfect for what I need. Checked Princess Auto but they had nothing on special and only two much more expensive 3.5 tons jacks. This 2-ton Michelin seems perfect :)