Is that Liquimoly DPF stuff any good?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Claudio, there's a thread lurking here that addresses this exact product. If I have time later, I'll try to find it.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Take your car out on a good highway run. This will help clean out the DPF. A regen can take long as 10 to 15 miles at highway speeds. Regen takes place around every 200 miles.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
Take your car out on a good highway run. This will help clean out the DPF. A regen can take long as 10 to 15 miles at highway speeds. Regen takes place around every 200 miles.
i drive 45 miles each way to/from work every day on highway, around 70 mph

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
The nothing to worry about.
Scan the code to see why the DPF light is on. Might be a faulty differential pressure sensor or broken temperature sensor. And such an issue does not have anything common with "DPF cleaning" or Liqui Moly product.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
The nothing to worry about.
Scan the code to see why the DPF light is on. Might be a faulty differential pressure sensor or broken temperature sensor. And such an issue does not have anything common with "DPF cleaning" or Liqui Moly product.
i do not have a VCDS, however i believe it does have something to do with the DPF being full becasue:

1) if i drive 15 min @3000 rpm the light goes away
2) i have 157K miles on the car

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd say 157k miles is too soon for DPF to go "full". Ash inside it is only ~150 ml while someone here reported that DPF was really full with something around 240 ml (confirmed by fault codes and cleaning the DPF helped, as far as I remember).

BITRBO

TDI
'09 JSW DSG
I'd say 157k miles is too soon for DPF to go "full". Ash inside it is only ~150 ml while someone here reported that DPF was really full with something around 240 ml (confirmed by fault codes and cleaning the DPF helped, as far as I remember).
My DPF light came on a few months ago, and has been coming on more frequently lately, and I think it's because of my daily commute: too much stop & go traffic and not enough highway speeds. However, I checked my levels last night and I had 168 ml IIRC, and the car has roughly 150k miles on it too... I just need to get some time to force a regen or to it manually through VCDS.

OP, any "fix" in a bottle that you pour into the tank is just snake oil. Try to find someone in your area with VCDS that can check your OAL and/or soot loading and see if there is an issue.

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ANY fix that includes additives into the tank, spraying into exhaust/sensor port etc is a snake oil. It might cure excessive soot accumulation but not ash.

It can do nothing to metallic ash.

The ash is not the same as you see in ash tray after smoking a cigarette. It is metallic ash, which turns into sediment which looks like to be made of stone because of constant pressures and temperatures. Ever taken apart a DPF? Go, do it and see what's inside.

The only solution of actually get rid of the ash is to bake the DPF (pluch many special chemicals inside while doing that), do a pressure in the opposite of exhaust flow direction and vacuum on the other side.