Is a 2005 Golf GLS TDI and A5?

dsmith1279

TDI
None......Yet???
Folks, I have been combing the internet for Jetta vs. Golf details and have probably become more confused than knowledgible. Ugh. I have some questions that I hope you can help me with.

Is the 2005 Golf on the same platform as the 2005 Jetta? I have seen where it is considered an A4 vs the A5?

Did the 05 Golf get the same TDI as the 05 Jetta?

Is the cabin space equivelant?

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
The last TDI Golf sold in the United States was on the "A4" Platform - not the newer "A5" platform (the current generation).

There were no Golf TDIs sold in the US on the A5 platform (which is the same platform that the new GTI and Rabbit are on).

I hope that helps.

The A4 Golf TDIs were great cars, however. They get better fuel mileage generally than the newer A5 models.

(If you want to get really confused, ask about engine designation codes!)

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Since it is a recall item, the dealer should be able to tell you if they have been done according to the cars VIN. I think the more important issue is if they can prove to you what oil has been used, as this is a PD engine.

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
dsmith1279 said:
In exploring Edmunds there are apparently 3 recalls. The car I am intersted in is being sold from a local dealer. Is there anyway to tell if the recall issues have been fixed?

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.do?step=recall&year=2005&make=Volkswagen&model=Golf&style=GLS+TDI+4dr+Hatchback+%281.9L+4cyl+Turbodiesel+5M%29&zip=74019&synpartner=edmunds
You didn't specify if this was a VW dealer or not - but regardless, if you're serious about this vehicle, and it's not clear whether recalls were completed, you could specify that the sale be contingent on the selling dealer getting the recalls performed by a "qualified" (using that term loosely) VW dealership, assuming you have a VW dealer nearby.