Interior light connection?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
My rear interior lights (in the headliner) do not work. Car is brand new! Wife said she saw very dim light one time and that was it. Took the cover off and checked the connector at the unit and was fine. Dealer service guy said to make an appointment as the headliner had to come out to fix it.

Anybody know where the other end of that connector leads to? I have a hard time believing it is somewhere not easily accesible...but then again, this is my first VW.

-Adam-

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, yea. They come on intermittently VERY dimly, but you can see the bulbs lit up. Just curious if anyone had an in-depth view from a service manual that could tell me where the other end of that connector went to.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
The other side of the roof foil wiring is over the front headliner light and it is connected though the wiring in A-pillar to CECM.

If your front headliner light works fine, you might have the rear enclosure faulty. Or the headliner wiring.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, front lights work fine. They come on when you unlock the car, but the rears do not work at all. What's the trick to taking the front assembly out. Guess I should look at obtaining a service manual!

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
adjat84th said:
Yea, front lights work fine. They come on when you unlock the car, but the rears do not work at all. What's the trick to taking the front assembly out. Guess I should look at obtaining a service manual!
Front assembly removal: pry out the perforated part with trim tool (or some old credit card). It should goes out easily. There are two bolts under. That should give you access to the foil connector AFAIR.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Got a chance to get in there today...took 2 minutes! The male end of the foil connector was halfway in the female end. Pushed it all the way in and now it works. Guess somebody had a few too many tequila shots the night before my car came through the assembly line.
Thanks maloosheck!