Interest in Rearguard for Passat Variant?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Disclaimer: I have no connection with the company. I am not a vendor of parts. This is just a query of a "group buy".

Company site: http://www.rearguards.co.uk

Product:

I have one on my car (as seen above), and another member will soon have one on his. I've been asked if it would be possible to get more. Obviously it is cheaper to get them in quantity. Shipping from the UK is expensive since shipping companies charge by the size of the package not weight. Quantity spreads out this cost.

I could arrange for more of them. However, additional cost of shipping within the US/Canada will probably mean that shipping is going to be the main cost of this product. I'm not sure where to get custom sized boxes for this. The best arrangement would be to meet at GTGs, or if you're passing through the area of wherever I happen to be, or know someone located or passing through the area, etc., the product could be passed along or picked up.

At present, I'm estimating this at $120 each with shipping to US continguous states, though shipping multiples to an address might reduce this. As of this posting I don't know what the final bill is for the international shipping of the ones I did get. That could influence the cost. Purchasers are responsible for paying all applicable taxes.

Is there any serious interest?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
ABS plastic bumper guard (from U.K.) as attached in the photos earlier in another thread:

Put me on the list for one!

Tony

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Reprint from another thread

The parts you get:

Double sided tape on the bottom. There are strips on the vertical sides too.

The guard, installation instructions, degreaser, degreasing instructions.
Remove the T30 bolts on both sides of the hatch opening.

As you can see in the picture, there's not much room around the hatch seal. Because the guard has tape on the sides that go up in this area, and along the long flat part, and the fact that you only get one shot at installing this, I suggest going further and removing the bumper cover, apply the guard and reinstall the bumper cover. It is easier than trying to work around the seal while positioning the guard and trying to keep it from getting stuck in the wrong place. Try a test fit before doing anything else and you'll understand.

Removal of the cover isn't that hard. There are 3 more T30 bolts underneath, and several T25 screws in the wheelwells, and a few underneath. Once they are removed, the cover slides off. There are two electrical connectors (one on each side) that need to be disconnected. These connect the side marker light wiring to the body wiring harness.
Once the cover is off you can clean and degrease it per the instructions.
Now peal off the paper from the tape on the guard. Install it on the bumper cover.

Reinstall the bumper cover and remember to reconnect the marker lighting wiring.

When you install the cover be sure to get the guard below/past the seal.

Take your time and you'll like the result as shown above.

Last edited:

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
If you can get multiple part numbers I'd be interested........I need RPB231 (it's in the same price code of B).